72A SHEDDED MERCHANT NAVY LOCOS

ed 66 plant

A very simple question--Did such locos ever work down the Soton/Bournemouth line in the 1950,s?--maybe as a result of loco failure at Waterloo/Nine Elms.

I know that 72B engines worked at such time on the Sunday Bom Belle.

Thank you for any responses,

regards,

Ed

4 hours ago, ed 66 plant said:

pH Thank you-not much evidence to support the idea that M.N,s from 72A visited Bournemouth

I agree - not much. But it does show that Exmouth Junction MNs did visit. Your original question specified 1950s - if you look further down that page, you’ll see another couple there in the 1960s.

The limited evidence seems to suggest only ad hoc appearances with no regular diagrammed turns. Another thought is " how would a 72A pacific for Eastleigh Works get there?" An up working to London followed by a Down turn on the Bournemouth Line seems likely. Again especially during high summer a hard pressed running foreman at Nine Elms would use anything available to cover his turns.

Edited by Caley739
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Premium
18 minutes ago, Caley739 said:

The limited evidence seems to suggest only ad hoc appearances with no regular diagrammed turns. Another thought is " how would a 72A pacific for Eastleigh Works get there?" An up working to London followed by a Down turn on the Bournemouth Line seems likely. Again especially during high summer a hard pressed running foreman at Nine Elms would use anything available to cover his turns.

Yup, 1950s Loco Diagrams were really strictly adhered to and loco failures were rare, especially after the Axle incident.

Turn of the 50s to 60s and early 60s was not that different but engines were starting to get neglected, but not a lot. There was quite a lot of shifting around sheds in 62/3/4/5/6. 50s was pretty static.

Phil

Thanks gents for your thoughts.

I think the Eastleigh works visit is very plausible,especially in the period 1955-59,

prior to redistribution .

The reason behind  my original question was --

I model Bom West/Central in that time period

I have orig. form 35029,35030--rebuilt form 35018,35016,35014 and recently acquired

35023.The latter bedding down at 72A up to 1960 .

Your kind responses have persuaded me to run the latter is ok.

thanks again,

Ed

• Round of applause 1

Gentlemen,

Courtesy of these pages I came across exactly the same format for 72A over the same time period.

In my era there was only one 71B Merchant Navy recorded (in fact any loco type from 71B)

Obviously either way ,somewhat of a rarity.

Ref.  running in turns for 72A locos ex Eastleigh---would they use the Redbridge/Romsey or Andover  connection to the south west?

I just find this interesting so I do hope I am not boring anybody.

regards,

Ed

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
On 22/07/2021 at 13:12, ed 66 plant said:

Gentlemen,

Courtesy of these pages I came across exactly the same format for 72A over the same time period.

In my era there was only one 71B Merchant Navy recorded (in fact any loco type from 71B)

Obviously either way ,somewhat of a rarity.

Ref.  running in turns for 72A locos ex Eastleigh---would they use the Redbridge/Romsey or Andover  connection to the south west?

I just find this interesting so I do hope I am not boring anybody.

regards,

Ed

Sadly I don't know about running in turns for the ex works at Eastleigh and have never read anything that mentions that. However, a google search sometimes throws up all sorts of weird info so worth a good dig! I might have a poke around as it would be fun to find out what they did and if they went LE or ran a local service and where.

I also love searchong out weird facts like this because, at the time, I didn't even think to explore that sort of activity; I didn't even take much notice of stock or equipment, derrrrrr!

Ask away, it is fun in these strange times.

P

34 minutes ago, Mallard60022 said:

Sadly I don't know about running in turns for the ex works at Eastleigh and have never read anything that mentions that. However, a google search sometimes throws up all sorts of weird info so worth a good dig! I might have a poke around as it would be fun to find out what they did and if they went LE or ran a local service and where.

I also love searchong out weird facts like this because, at the time, I didn't even think to explore that sort of activity; I didn't even take much notice of stock or equipment, derrrrrr!

Ask away, it is fun in these strange times.

P

Common running-in turns for Eastleigh works were local passenger to Bo'mo', or freight to Wimborne.

Gents --thank you again for your responses-as you all say --fascinating to research and find out things.

I have found that to be half my pleasure when planning/developing my layout.

Not that everything has  then to be slavishly put into place--compromises are a must---but there is no substitute for establishing the facts.

kind regards,

Ed