Jump to content

Lyneworth Phase 2


Recommended Posts

11 minutes ago, Chimer said:

OK, how about this?  Purple track is existing, blue is new.  You have a dedicated platform for your preservation line which can access the reverse loop (probably needs a run-round loop, but the whole of the preservation side can be developed further).  There is a trailing connecting crossover from the preservation side to the mainline.  A couple of storage loops on each mainline down the right hand side, long enough for loco + 5.  The curves bottom right are R2 - R5 at 2.625" centres.  The mainline between the right hand station throat and the bottom end of the storage loops is at 2" (Streamline) track spacing so your second station can be built using larger radius points.  And I've missed a trailing crossover in the left hand station throat which adds operational possibilities with trains reversing.

 

1316560975_newbie2020bgif.gif.21d8e484a269dc7442216e5ba0cfaa67.gif

 

Oh, and you'll see there's a manhole ........ :jester:

 

I could develop this further, but only if you are happy with the essentials.  I still think if it was me I'd start again entirely from scratch, mind!

Hadn't thought about running them around the corner like that. I like that idea.

Link to post
Share on other sites

41 minutes ago, RobinofLoxley said:

The new sidings layout is good, but transferability of stock from the "Preserved line" to the main lines is poor to non-existent. This is why I mentioned repositioning points earlier....

 

If you're referring to my suggested plan, why would you want more than a single crossover, trailing from the anti-clockwise main line?  Transfers happen on high days and holidays only.  The aim was to preserve as much as possible of the OP's existing trackwork .....

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

  • RMweb Gold

Clive,

You’ve done well to get full access to the extra space. You are no longer confined to your small 4ft wide board. It’s time to think big!

Imagine a double track going around the entire space with 2/3rds scenic including a big station and the remainder set up as storage loops from where you can make up and call out any train you want. Does your current layout really fit into that picture?

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Chimer said:

 

If you're referring to my suggested plan, why would you want more than a single crossover, trailing from the anti-clockwise main line?  Transfers happen on high days and holidays only.  The aim was to preserve as much as possible of the OP's existing trackwork .....

I understand your point entirely Chimer but would the layout really be operated like that? There are a lot of compromises here. Anyway it won't be my decision what is finally adopted.

Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Harlequin said:

Clive,

You’ve done well to get full access to the extra space. You are no longer confined to your small 4ft wide board. It’s time to think big!

Imagine a double track going around the entire space with 2/3rds scenic including a big station and the remainder set up as storage loops from where you can make up and call out any train you want. Does your current layout really fit into that picture?

 

I see what you mean and under any other circumstances I'd be right on the same page! But it would be real heartbreak for me not to complete the part my dad helped design.

 

What you are suggesting is kind of what I am trying to do , but incorporating Lyneworth into it. Chimers' idea seems to be a good compromise between the two! (I'm struggling to replicate it on Anyrail though lol!

 

Clive

Link to post
Share on other sites

16 hours ago, Newbie2020 said:

Chimers' idea seems to be a good compromise between the two! (I'm struggling to replicate it on Anyrail though lol!

 

Clive

 

Thanks - by the way, I'm visualising an almost complete separation between main-line and preservation society operations, apart from the odd visiting engine arriving via the main line for a gala weekend.  Just how the preservation society were able to buy the land to build a double track roundy-roundy with a reversing loop is something that can be left to peoples' imagination.

 

Your most likely* Anyrail problem is the fact that Streamline points turn out by 12 degrees, which doesn't match Set-track geometry.  So, for example, in the top right-hand corner on both tracks, I've used 78 degrees of curve of 19.875" radius (equivalent to Set-Track R3) finished off by the right-hand points to complete the 90 degrees.  When it comes to laying it, I would use Set-track curves but cut the last 12 degrees off one of them.  There's also a fudge where the point leading to the preservation line platform comes off the curve, which is basically R3.  The Set-Track point used there equates to R2, so the bit of straight track preceding it is a tad longer than a standard Set-Track straight (7.624" vs 6.625").  All the other points I've added are Streamline small (2') radius, except the two crossovers which use large (5' allegedly) radius and a 3-way which, along with the second crossover, you haven't seen yet - work still in progress.

 

*I've never used Anyrail, and as I've spent 10 years getting to where I am with XTrackCad, you'll forgive me if I decline the opportunity for another learning curve!

 

Incidentally, picking up on one of Phil's earlier points, I wouldn't try to hide the storage loops down the right-hand side under scenery.  Much better left out in the open, so you can fiddle when you want to.

 

Cheers, Chris

Link to post
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Chimer said:

 

Thanks - by the way, I'm visualising an almost complete separation between main-line and preservation society operations, apart from the odd visiting engine arriving via the main line for a gala weekend.  Just how the preservation society were able to buy the land to build a double track roundy-roundy with a reversing loop is something that can be left to peoples' imagination.

 

Your most likely* Anyrail problem is the fact that Streamline points turn out by 12 degrees, which doesn't match Set-track geometry.  So, for example, in the top right-hand corner on both tracks, I've used 78 degrees of curve of 19.875" radius (equivalent to Set-Track R3) finished off by the right-hand points to complete the 90 degrees.  When it comes to laying it, I would use Set-track curves but cut the last 12 degrees off one of them.  There's also a fudge where the point leading to the preservation line platform comes off the curve, which is basically R3.  The Set-Track point used there equates to R2, so the bit of straight track preceding it is a tad longer than a standard Set-Track straight (7.624" vs 6.625").  All the other points I've added are Streamline small (2') radius, except the two crossovers which use large (5' allegedly) radius and a 3-way which, along with the second crossover, you haven't seen yet - work still in progress.

 

*I've never used Anyrail, and as I've spent 10 years getting to where I am with XTrackCad, you'll forgive me if I decline the opportunity for another learning curve!

 

Incidentally, picking up on one of Phil's earlier points, I wouldn't try to hide the storage loops down the right-hand side under scenery.  Much better left out in the open, so you can fiddle when you want to.

 

Cheers, Chris

No wonder I'm srtruggling. I may set it as close as possible on AnyRail then just do the fiddles when I lay the track. I like the idea of keeping the storage loops open, adds interest. I see the two layouts, the modern mainline and the preserved railway, as separate and, as you say, any movement between the the will be minimal but needs to be there. I also have a Class 150 Sprinter which I see as running as a "commuter shuttle" from Lyneworth to Millhampton and back (I've changed the destination signs on the the front and back accordingly!)

 

I Think Lyneworth Preservation Society must have a wealthy Dubai businessman as a benefactor!

 

Clive

Edited by Newbie2020
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Chimer said:

Just how the preservation society were able to buy the land to build a double track

Well, our friends at the Great Central Railway are only too happy to boast that they have a "double track, main line heritage railway" and they are well underway to completing their connection towards Nottingham from Loughborough with a new bridge crossing over the old Midland main line north from Leicester.

 

So there is a double track preserved line crossing a main line, with an interconnection to the mainline to boot, to act as a prototype for what you're doing here...

 

& the GCR even have a branch line from their main line - the section to Mountsorrel, admittedly a mineral branch, although they have taken passengers down there on special occasions.

 

The spell that "King Edward II" spent at the GCR is sadly the nearest I've got to seeing her run on a mainline, with some great photos heading trains on the double track section.

 

Yours, Mike.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...