New Rails Website! - Account linking

PeterStiles

• RMweb Premium

So we have a new Rails website, as I see you can all tell.

I had to go through the create a new account - I couldn't just log on with my details from last week.

Good: Presumably because I used the same email address as my prior account, it shows my existing pre-order.

The rest of the account details tho' seem missing, there' are no Addresses and (i'm not about to place an order just to see) presumably no credit card details. In fact I'd be worried if there were exiting credit card details there.

Website looks good so far, I like the way it looks a lot like the old website... I'm a fuddy-duddy like that.

@JimHearne There was a post on Rails' official Facebook page yesterday evening which stated the following:

NEW WEBSITE LAUNCHES TOMORROW!

We are in the process of upgrading the website.

The new site will offer a much better user experience with an improved search engine, easy navigation, faster checkout and much much more.

The website is currently down whilst we upgrade. Please come and visit us in the morning.

The Rails Team

I received an email from Rails this morning titled 'Customer account activation' and all I needed to do was enter a new password on the website. 

I encountered the same as @PeterStiles and @GNR Dave A couple of my outstanding pre-orders are missing (one of which I'd paid a deposit) and my order history from the old website is absent. I also needed to add my address as there was nothing there.

I like the look of the new website though and as someone who comes from an IT/Retail background, a few gremlins are not unexpected. 

Edited by AForce
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium
7 minutes ago, AForce said:

@JimHearne There was a post on Rails' official Facebook page yesterday evening which stated the following:

I received an email from Rails this morning titled 'Customer account activation' and all I needed to do was enter a new password on the website. 

I encountered the same as @PeterStiles and @GNR Dave A couple of my outstanding pre-orders are missing (one of which I'd paid a deposit) and my order history from the old website is also absent. I also needed to add my address as there was nothing there.

I like the look of the new website though and as someone who comes from an IT/Retail background, a few gremlins are not unexpected. 

I don't like this re cookies:

https://railsofsheffield.com/pages/gdpr-e-privacy

Why not the simple opt in/out as 90% of sites do?

Does this even meet current GDPR rules?

Edited by melmerby
  • Agree 1

10 minutes ago, AForce said:

I encountered the same as @PeterStiles and @GNR Dave A couple of my outstanding pre-orders are missing (one of which I'd paid a deposit) and my order history from the old website is absent. I also needed to add my address as there was nothing there.

Thanks AForce, i don't go on Facebook that much so didn't see that.

There are so many "fishing" emails around at the moment it's safer to be suspicious.

I've preorders as well so i think i'll leave logging into the new site for a while and hopefully they will sort out the transfer issues.

Jim

It also says that existing pre-orders can't be transfered, but are still active.

Apparently 'open orders' cannot be transfered, pre-orders have been, and are accessed by logging on and clicking the Pre-order tab.

Sorry for the miss information

Edited by GNR Dave
miss information

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, GNR Dave said:

It also says that existing pre-orders can't be transfered, but are still active.

Well that id really stupid and of no use to anyone wanting to check their orders. Please can we have the old web site back.

• Agree 3

Further to @GNR Dave I have just received an email from Rails regarding the new website.

There are some changes to how things work, explained below.

• Don't panic.. we have all your existing open orders in the old system and will dispatch them as normal, sadly we could not transfer these to the new system. existing open Pre-order's can be viewed (see below).
  • Pre-order items are now purchased separately from in stock or on order items. There is a separate basket and checkout process for them. You can view your unfulfilled pre-orders and pre-order basket by clicking on 'Pre-orders' above the menu. 
  • To change your Pre-order payment method or to use store credit or a gift voucher (new system or old) please call our customer service team.
  • Going forward we will be giving store credit out on our new Gift card/Voucher system. Please contact us when needed and we can swap your existing store credit or gift voucher for one on the new system.
  • We will be importing your existing Wishlist items this week. 
  • Excluding payment for pre-orders, payment is now taken at time of checkout rather than dispatch. This means you can sort out if a card is declined rather than having to be contacted by us.

I hope you enjoy the new site, we plan further tweaks in the next few weeks so please bear with us if you experience any inconvenience. 

Please note: If you previously had an account with us, you will shortly be receiving a email asking you to "Activate your account". This will transfer your contact information over to the new system.

I have noticed that on pre-orders (with multiple items in an order) only one item is shown. I.e. You can't open an order to view the details.

Edited by AForce
  • Informative/Useful 1

Glitches aside, the new website seems to have addressed my two big complaints about the old one - the search function no longer gives an absurd number of hits, and (overseas) mail charges are now calculated and charged before completing the purchase.

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

2 minutes ago, dpgibbons said:

...........................................and (overseas) mail charges are now calculated and charged before completing the purchase.

Hopefully,  this applies to Australia.  Previously,  with Rails taking an automatic payment sometimes several days after the purchase was made,  the cost of postage was only apparent after the money was taken.

• RMweb Premium

It's 10am on Monday morning, nothing ever works properly on Monday morning.

Give 'em a chance to get it working.

And haven't you lot got anything better to do?

• Agree 2
  • Funny 3

I have been generally happy with Rails in the past and their old website worked a lot better than many.  Now they've introduced a new one without warning (putting stuff on facebook is not communication - I am not on that and not prepared to join it)  it appears that they have decided to lose the order history for old orders, not transfer details of pre-orders and have yet to convert the (relatively unimportant) wish list.  

It looks like a classic case of fixing what ain't broke, but I can accept that they will have a number of sound business reasons to migrate to a new system and I do understand the difficulties of converting data, but I am distinctly unimpressed by this new system and especially the manner in which they have introduced it without prior warning.  

I used to look at Rails prices for new items first - in future unless the pre-order data is recovered and transferred I will be looking at Hattons first.  And I don't see me adding stuff to the Rails wishlist in future.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

As for others my "activating" my new account seems to have wiped all of my details (addresses, order history - including ones not yet fulfilled) from the website.  Hopefully they are still in Rails' order system or they are going to have some very unhappy customers - myself included.

Fortunately I have kept all the order confirmation emails from Rails with their order numbers.

New IT systems and "upgrades" - invariably disasters in the making.

Darius

Edited by Darius43
  • Agree 1

This is a concerning issue.

One trusts that this will be handled sensibly. 

I have Caley 812 on pre order and paid for.

No e-mail yet frae Rails.

Hmmmm...

Had the activation email.  My pre-orders are there, but not with any credit I earned to offset against the full retail price.  Can't access my credit history, so hopefully they will sort this in due course.  My credit card details and address do not seem to have been transferred, nor my order history. 

I wish I had had pre-warning of this change by email - I receive regular emails from them so think they could have sent one about this upgrade.  I do not touch Facebook.     

• Agree 4

2 hours ago, GNR Dave said:

Same here.

Activated my account and nothing comes up. I have 3 outstanding pre-orders, 2 with deposits paid.

I've emailed them, so when I hear back I'll post their reply.

Have you clicked on the pre-order tab? Mine is there.

CJI.

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

Activated mine from the e-mail, two slight issues

1. It did not transfer my contact details so had to re-enter address.

2. While my pre orders have transferred, it only shows one item and one item value, on orders with multiple items. So hope they have the full order on their system.

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold

I activated my account from the email sent this morning.

All my details including delivery address and current pre orders are all shown.

Don't panic Captain Mainwaring! Don't Panic.

I activated mine from the email I recieved from them this morning.

• Agree 1