New Rails Website! - Account linking

PeterStiles

• RMweb Gold
18 minutes ago, GNR Dave said:

Cheers mate,

I was thrown by the 'you have no orders' when I logged in. As you say, clicking the pre-order tab and they all pop up.

I made the identical mistake and it appears we are not alone.Sent them one email with a grouse and quickly countered it with an apology.Oops !

• Like 1

• Moderators
1 hour ago, Michael Hodgson said:

It looks like a classic case of fixing what ain't broke,

A phrase (that I despise) which is certain to raise the blood pressure of any developer out there - not everything can be done in a test environment and not everything can necessarily be complete at a launch. They're obviously still working on aspects so to hear that, on day one, just shows how impatient some people are.

If everyone bent to that default position we'd all still be swearing at Altavista.

• Like 6
  • Agree 8

• RMweb Gold

I too have the same issue as has been reported - some of my pre-orders are missing, but it appears to be those where I have ordered multiple items, so, for example only one of my Bachmann Bulleid coaches, and only one of my Rapido SECR wagons. Fingers crossed this is sorted!

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

I've used the 'Activate your account' email, and lost my order history, but the one pre-order I had is still there. Worryingly I have an active order for Peco track and now that appears lost...

Rails have replied to my email (thanks Heather !) Order history for completed orders cannot be transfered, but everything else has been or will be sorted soon. Emails have been sent to all account customers apparently, and the headline message is.........  'DON'T PANIC !' 

Seems everything is under control, although one or two may have issues as is to be expected form a new system.

• Informative/Useful 2

On a positive note an order that I have had waiting for over a year had a £30 deposit paid when it was ordered and the old account showed the outstanding balance. Now it shows the old outstanding balance with a further £30 discount! I expect they will deal with that quickly :rolleyes:

The sound order upgrade is missing though.

I have all the confirmation emails but I am sure it will be sorted in time so there isn’t any point contacting them until they have had time to sort the gremlins.

Mark

• Like 1

Thanks for letting us know @GNR Dave

The search functionality has greatly improved with the new website and returns far more accurate results. I also find that the website is much more responsive, although I wouldn't say the old one was particularly slow.

The new one is much better on mobile devices too, based on my use of it thus far.

Edited by AForce
  • Like 2

I have successfully placed a pre order on the new system  for Accurascale coal loads for MDO wagons. The order has appeared as the first item on my pre orders. Only thing that hasn't happened, is I haven't received a confirmation e-mail, not sure if this is the new system or not. Looks like you have to enter card details for each pre order placed.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GNR Dave said:

Rails have replied to my email (thanks Heather !) Order history for completed orders cannot be transfered, but everything else has been or will be sorted soon. Emails have been sent to all account customers apparently, and the headline message is.........  'DON'T PANIC !' 

Seems everything is under control, although one or two may have issues as is to be expected form a new system.

It sounds like they are using a new database to underpin the new website, and took a decision not to move the completed orders. This maybe due to a large volume of data that needed to be transferred and the chances of it being accessed in the future are low and did not warrant the amount of effort and data space required.   

• Agree 4

20 minutes ago, KCL said:

It sounds like they are using a new database to underpin the new website, and took a decision not to move the completed orders. This maybe due to a large volume of data that needed to be transferred and the chances of it being accessed in the future are low and did not warrant the amount of effort and data space required.   

As someone who has migrated and updated an existing website with a database between several providers over the years, I would not be surprised if the above is a possible reason (obviously, we don't know). Database size and the hosting setup used can impact performance, depending on the hardware resources available, particularly when searching records and retrieving information. Whilst I will miss having an order history for reference, I am lucky in that I still have the emails from past orders going back several years.

On a more positive note, for anyone who is still missing pre-orders in your account, it is worth logging back in again and checking the pre-order tab. I have just logged in and discovered that a couple more of my missing pre-orders have appeared. There is still one hiding and thus I'll check back later on. The transfer is clearly still a WIP.  

Edited by AForce
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, melmerby said:

I don't like this re cookies:

https://railsofsheffield.com/pages/gdpr-e-privacy

Why not the simple opt in/out as 90% of sites do?

Does this even meet current GDPR rules?

Quite simply, no, it does not meet the rules - The ICO rules say:

The basic rule is that you must:

tell people the cookies are there;

explain what the cookies are doing and why; and

get the person’s consent to store a cookie on their device

To be valid, consent must be freely given, specific and informed. It must involve some form of unambiguous positive action – for example, ticking a box or clicking a link – and the person must fully understand that they are giving you consent. You cannot show consent if you only provide information about cookies as part of a privacy policy that is hard to find, difficult to understand, or rarely read. Similarly, you cannot set non-essential cookies on your website’s homepage before the user has consented to them.  

Their website meets the first two, but not the third - saying "you cna disable cookies in your browser" is not an unambiguous positive action. I've emailed them about it, not that I expect it to make any difference, it seems that 90% of websites out there fail...

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, rembrow said:

I have successfully placed a pre order on the new system  for Accurascale coal loads for MDO wagons. The order has appeared as the first item on my pre orders. Only thing that hasn't happened, is I haven't received a confirmation e-mail, not sure if this is the new system or not. Looks like you have to enter card details for each pre order placed.

Contacted Rails, was advised I should have received an e-mail after a pre order has gone through and are checking. As far as multiple item old pre orders only showing one item, this is a known anomoly and should be corrected soon

Currently new  pre-order purchase confirmations are not being sent, this is an issue high on the priority list. you can check your order has gone through alright by looking on the pre-orders tab.

Issues with pre-order tab not showing all pre orders has been fixed. (contact us if not)

It would have been preferable to transfer orders from old to new but with two very different data structures and a fair amount of part complete orders it was not practical. 

We will endeavour to fix any bugs quickly and hopefully any issues will not hamper your enjoyment of the hobby.

Nothing has been changed or deleted, your old orders are still exactly the same in the old system which is still operating to ship existing orders and pre-orders out. Any queries regarding outstanding orders please contact our customer service team.

Regards Chris

Ecommerce 

Rails of Sheffield

• Like 2
  • Thanks 4
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Premium

Still got a couple of issues but going to wait until at least the end of the week before thinking about getting in touch as they'll likely resolve themselves. There's nothing massively urgent about it. 

Either way hope the new website helps them go from strength to strength :)

PS Did notice that the 6 packs of decoders have gone missing - hope this isn't the end of quality sub £20 decoders :sad_mini:

7 hours ago, AY Mod said:

A phrase (that I despise) which is certain to raise the blood pressure of any developer out there - not everything can be done in a test environment and not everything can necessarily be complete at a launch. They're obviously still working on aspects so to hear that, on day one, just shows how impatient some people are.

If everyone bent to that default position we'd all still be swearing at Altavista.

Andy, did you lend them the invisible ink?

• Funny 1

Just catching up on this thread which has certainly included some useful bits. Pre orders are now filled out and like others I have re added addresses etc

The website is now a much cleaner experience, especially on mobile browsers so well done all at Rails.   

1 hour ago, Bishdurham said:

I still haven't seen an activate your account email.  But I am in the Colonies and we only got electricity last week! :dancer:

If you create an account with the same email address as your existing rails account that should show you any existing open pre-orders in the pre-order tab. 

The activate account email isn't necessary and some accounts were difficult to directly copy in, so not everyone got an activation email.

Regards Chris

Ecommerce 

Rails of Sheffield

• Like 1

On 19/07/2021 at 13:56, GNR Dave said:

Order history for completed orders cannot be transfered,

A blessed relief for me. I've always worried that the CFO would see how much I'd spent in the past! :blush:

• Agree 1
  • Funny 5
  • Friendly/supportive 1