New Rails Website! - Account linking

PeterStiles

2 hours ago, cmtrain said:

If you create an account with the same email address as your existing rails account that should show you any existing open pre-orders in the pre-order tab. 

The activate account email isn't necessary and some accounts were difficult to directly copy in, so not everyone got an activation email.

Regards Chris

Ecommerce 

Rails of Sheffield

New site looks great but I think there are some pre-orders missing.   Can't see a tab for completed orders either.

Thanks!

21 hours ago, Bishdurham said:

New site looks great but I think there are some pre-orders missing.   Can't see a tab for completed orders either.

Thanks!

Try reading back up the thread - all your questions are answered there!

CJI.

Edited by cctransuk
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium

I received the e-mail inviting me to use a link to re-activate my Rails account but I assumed it was spam with a link would put a virus or ransomware onto my computer so I immediately deleted it.    Only now on finding this thread, it seems that the e-mail was genuine.   I'll wait till the new site settles down before I consider re-activating my account.   

• RMweb Premium

I think it's safe to give it try now, thanks to the efforts of all the guinea pigs above in finding the problems. I did yesterday and it worked fine.

10 minutes ago, cessna152towser said:

I received the e-mail inviting me to use a link to re-activate my Rails account but I assumed it was spam with a link would put a virus or ransomware onto my computer so I immediately deleted it.    Only now on finding this thread, it seems that the e-mail was genuine.   I'll wait till the new site settles down before I consider re-activating my account.   

Should still be in your Spam or Deleted Items folder in your email account. Usually on the left hand side of the page.

But you don't need it. Just go to the Accounts bit on the website and follow the instructions. You'll probably need a Password Reset. Good idea to change the passwords every so often anyway.

Jason

• Like 1

My pre-order (including £30 deposit paid) is missing.... Should I be worried???

For some reason I can't find an email record of he deposit payment, but it was listed online... Not best pleased by this...

• Moderators
1 minute ago, G-BOAF said:

Should I be worried???

Why not ask Rails rather than thousands of people who don't have access to your account. 

• Agree 5

18 minutes ago, AY Mod said:

Why not ask Rails rather than thousands of people who don't have access to your account. 

Sorry Andy.

I should have phrased the question better. I.e. is this something that sorts itself out a day after re-activating, or do I need to chase up with Rails.

TBH its pretty poor showing from whoever rails employed to design a new site to not incorporate existing orders, and furthermore to expect customers to chase up those orders. I guess the blame ultimately lies in rails for not ensuring data was transferred over (either through sloppy contracting, or not ensuring the web designers delivered).

Not an impressive start to a shiny new website... :-(

• Moderators
34 minutes ago, G-BOAF said:

its pretty poor showing from whoever rails employed to design a new site to not incorporate existing orders, and furthermore to expect customers to chase up those orders. I guess the blame ultimately lies in rails for not ensuring data was transferred over (either through sloppy contracting, or not ensuring the web designers delivered).

You're making a lot of assumptions, you're not part of the process so you just don't know. There are posts within the topic to show they were aware of the issues and that many customers' issues were being resolved. If you have an outstanding issue make contact as others have done.

• Agree 4

• RMweb Gold

My employer went through a replacement web shop process at the start of the month.

A single customer asked us to recover their basket as they had a large amount of items within it, in preparation for a shop opening. To do so took over half an hour and involved downloading, integrating and then matching 4 different database tables (customer details, product details. Order headers and order lines are separate tables in almost every web shop with primary keys to match them up) before importing and verifying in the new system.

I am the only person in my company that had a clue on how to do it, as it meant going to the underlying server admin panel and database and not the interfaces the day to day staff use for their roles….the old developers are not interested in helping leave their services and the new ones would (rightly) charge to learn sufficient detail of the old system to action it correctly.

You also cannot do it until the old site is offline as you need up to the minute data to work from (or do it twice to capture the latest information such as items people have removed from their baskets…!).

It is not a straight forward or routine task and needs careful work, we made the same choices as rails and stand by it…

• Agree 3
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 4

12 hours ago, G-BOAF said:

Sorry Andy.

I should have phrased the question better. I.e. is this something that sorts itself out a day after re-activating, or do I need to chase up with Rails.

TBH its pretty poor showing from whoever rails employed to design a new site to not incorporate existing orders, and furthermore to expect customers to chase up those orders. I guess the blame ultimately lies in rails for not ensuring data was transferred over (either through sloppy contracting, or not ensuring the web designers delivered).

Not an impressive start to a shiny new website... :-(

Hello, you have no need to be worried, no data has been changed or lost. Any issues with the Pre-order Tab not showing some pre-orders is visual only. Having said that we are currently not aware of any issues with this after we fixed an issue earlier in the week.

The pre-order Tab only shows open orders for products that were purchased when in a pre-order state. It does not show shipped or non pre-orders.

We do not expect you to have to chase up orders, but with many thousands of pre-orders we did anticipate we may have the odd minor issue and advice to contact customer service is for your piece of mind.

We are sorry we have not met your expectations, we have had to make lots of difficult decisions and such things are never straight forward.

Finally, I should stress this is just the beginning of our plans to improve our website offering and not the end. 

Regards Chris

Ecommerce 

Rails of Sheffield

• Like 5
  • Friendly/supportive 3

8 minutes ago, Ian J. said:

@cmtrain Any news on orders placed but not yet fulfilled (so not a pre-order)?

Hi Ian,

The team are working hard to ship out existing open orders on the old system as fast as they can when items come into stock, as you can imagine we are keen to send them out as soon as possible.

If you want any information about a specific order please contact our customer service team and they should be able to help you out with any queries.

Regards Chris

Ecommerce 

Rails of Sheffield

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, cmtrain said:

Hi Ian,

The team are working hard to ship out existing open orders on the old system as fast as they can when items come into stock, as you can imagine we are keen to send them out as soon as possible.

If you want any information about a specific order please contact our customer service team and they should be able to help you out with any queries.

Regards Chris

Ecommerce 

Rails of Sheffield

Hi Chris,

Thanks for replying. I'm mainly concerned that I can't see the order I have in place on the new website. It's actual fulfillment is some way off due to Peco track supply delays, but without being able to see it I can't keep an eye on it.

Ian

4 hours ago, cmtrain said:

Hello, you have no need to be worried, no data has been changed or lost. Any issues with the Pre-order Tab not showing some pre-orders is visual only. Having said that we are currently not aware of any issues with this after we fixed an issue earlier in the week.

The pre-order Tab only shows open orders for products that were purchased when in a pre-order state. It does not show shipped or non pre-orders.

We do not expect you to have to chase up orders, but with many thousands of pre-orders we did anticipate we may have the odd minor issue and advice to contact customer service is for your piece of mind.

We are sorry we have not met your expectations, we have had to make lots of difficult decisions and such things are never straight forward.

Finally, I should stress this is just the beginning of our plans to improve our website offering and not the end. 

Regards Chris

Ecommerce 

Rails of Sheffield

Costs on the pre-orders are being rounded, so some items appear to have increased in price compared to the items on the items pages, I.e items with prices ending 50p or above seem to rounded up to the next full pound. Conversely prices ending 49p or below are rounded down.

I am sure that this is just work in progress on the website.

another issue is that modification to pre-order made over the phone are not showing up yet, e.g placed an order for a 18000 in 2020 and added the sound on 2021 but this is not showing yet on the new pre-orders, it was ok on the old site.

• RMweb Gold
On 19/07/2021 at 09:06, melmerby said:

I don't like this re cookies:

https://railsofsheffield.com/pages/gdpr-e-privacy

Why not the simple opt in/out as 90% of sites do?

Does this even meet current GDPR rules?

I don't think it does meet the rules, there's no way that I can see to turn of tracking/marketing cookies.

Regarding "activating" my account, all it's done is created a blank account using my existing email, no other details have come across. As an aside, I've also noticed that most links in other Rails threads to their site are now obviously broken.

I love the look of the new site, and my account and pre orders all seem to have properly populated, but I do have one question I didn’t see asked unless I missed it, the wishlist. It appears wishlists from the old site didn’t migrate, not a big deal, but I can’t seem to find a button to add items to a new wishlist when I am on product pages. Maybe I am missing it, for reference for the developers at the moment I have been on safari on an iPad (iOS), haven’t tried from the laptop and another browser, not sure if it’s a global issue with wishlists on the site or tied to the device I’m using.

Good luck finding and sorting out all the kinks with the transition, that’s not easy so hopefully it hasn’t been too bad for the Rails team.

Stephen

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, atom3624 said:

Is the order history going to be updated - I certainly hope so?

After Hornby fathing around with Hattons, cancelling my preorders there, they'd better not lose my KOYLI preorder!!

Al.

Pre-orders have a separate section to the orders. I don't believe it's planned to update the order history, though it may be necessary to do so on a case-by-case basis for some of us. I have an incomplete old order and it won't be fulfilled anytime soon, so it'll need to be transferred across.

• RMweb Premium
On 22/07/2021 at 15:31, Steamport Southport said:

Should still be in your Spam or Deleted Items folder in your email account. Usually on the left hand side of the page.

Found it under deleted items and now re-activated my account.

Many thanks.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Ian J. said:

Pre-orders have a separate section to the orders. I don't believe it's planned to update the order history, though it may be necessary to do so on a case-by-case basis for some of us. I have an incomplete old order and it won't be fulfilled anytime soon, so it'll need to be transferred across.

My pre-order is indeed present - good news.

My existing store credit is not showing.

I have contacted Rails to reconfirm this.

Not as pear shaped as we thought.

Site does seem quite nice.

Al.

• 1 month later...

I ordered the Hendo's tank wagon on July 18. While the order was acknowledged then, I have only just (26 August) been notified that it has been dispatched. So it looks like this is part of the catch-up, although I understood that it was in stock when I ordered it.  I was just about to contact Rails to ask if they could track it - it takes about 2 weeks for UK goods to arrive in Australia at present.  I had become concerned that the bottle of relish had run afoul of customs, although commercially bottled sauces are OK here. 

Also if I log into my 'orders' it says that I have none, but I have found my 3 pre-orders in another list.  Nowhere does it mention the Henderson's wagon.    

• 5 months later...

Is it only me who has problems with the Rails Web site? 

I tried to place a pre-order for the new D1, and it showed me a pre-order basket that also included the Autocar that I had pre-ordered many months ago and, and it asked for a deposit on both.  I had already paid the Autocar deposit, and the pre-order listing was correct a few days ago.  My Autocar sound package and Accurascale Manor have disappeared from where-ever I look.  The only consistent item is a single entry for a few small items where the order has been fulfilled.  

• RMweb Premium

My complaint is that every time I place an order I have to fill in the billing address, even though they already know my address. Most webstores have a box to tick that makes the billing address the same as delivery address, but that seems not to be the case here.

• Like 2