Ruston mystery ID and location.....

Reno

Can you give us some more information?

What is the source of the photo?

The wagons seem to be quite distinctive. V-skips on narrow, possibly U-skip frames can't have been very common.

I’m thinking this is not 2ft gauge, I think wider, that the loco has been rebuilt quite neatly, so possibly an owner with engineering resources. The neat fencing hints at something a bit decent too.

Two thoughts cross my mind:

- maybe a corporation sewage works rather than a brick pit?

- is it definitely in the U.K.?

Its not Knostrop, is it? That was 2ft, and was famous for ex-WDLR protected simplexes, but I think it had an RH as well. EDIT: No, their RH was an LBT.

Edited by Nearholmer

1 hour ago, Ruston said:

The wagons seem to be quite distinctive. V-skips on narrow, possibly U-skip frames can't have been very common.

Is it military, going by the concrete fence and is MV = Military Vehicle ?

Edited by Tigermoth

The loco frame has axleguards, which means that it's highly unlikely to be a Lister-engined loco. Even some Ruston-engined locos were not built with them as late as 1938. The axleguards are one piece and cranked, which is something that went out when the slope-sided bodywork was introduced around 1941. It has a cylindrical fuel tank, which appears to be original. It is a relatively small type so I would say it's either a 20DL or 30DL, built between 1939 and 1941.

The engine appears to be a replacement of unknown type.

2 hours ago, Nearholmer said:

I’m thinking this is not 2ft gauge, I think wider

It looks around 2ft to me. If it is wider then the loco wasn't built for a gauge significantly wider as it doesn't have the outriggers.

• Like 2

The question was asked on a German NG forum i belong to, there's no more info than the two photos i'm afraid. There is no reason to think that it's in the UK it could well be elsewhere such as mentioned above. Thanks for the replies so far.