Class 800 /Loksound 4 / Legomanbiffo / active Braking

Novco007

Hi purchased a while ago a Hornby Class 800 which has 2xLok5Sound decoders and has the legomanbiffo sound files.

It has the active braking feature and I am wondering how I can adjust this to make the braking simulated force harder.

Currently, at full power, if I drop it down from Speed Step 128 to 0, it takes about 2.5 revolutions of my layout to come to a halt, using F5 to activate the break, it drops to 1.5 revolutons.

So I was wondering what CVs I need to adjust to make the deceleration (no brakes) a little faster and also the make the braking force harder (decelerates faster).

I have access to decoder pro to do any CV tweaks.

Thanks

Chris

Edited by Novco007
wrong decoder mentioned

• Novco007 changed the title to Class 800 /Loksound 4 / Legomanbiffo / active Breaking

Hi Chris,

If you reduce CV4 that will make the coasting slow down quicker.

To increase the braking you will have to confirm this with DC Kits or Legomanbiffo as it depends on how he has set up the braking function.

It's normally CV179 you need to increase but make a note of any settings before you change anything.

Altering CV4 may have an effect on the manual braking as well so try that first then check with the above.

Wiggy.

• Informative/Useful 1

4 hours ago, wiggy1 said:

Hi Chris,

If you reduce CV4 that will make the coasting slow down quicker.

To increase the braking you will have to confirm this with DC Kits or Legomanbiffo as it depends on how he has set up the braking function.

It's normally CV179 you need to increase but make a note of any settings before you change anything.

Altering CV4 may have an effect on the manual braking as well so try that first then check with the above.

Wiggy.

I had a play with CV4 and CV179 and that reduced both the deceleration and braking, which makes it much more useful on my size layout.  Also changed CV3 to make the acceleration, I guess less realistic but again better for my layout size.  

Thanks 

Chris

• Like 1

Just to confirm that, as Neil suggested, it is CV179 to adjust the brake severity. I try to choose values that suit as many people as possible but inevitably they won’t work for everyone. Pleased to hear that you managed to amend the values to suit.

Bif

• Like 1

Just to confirm that, as Neil suggested, it is CV179 to adjust the brake severity. I try to choose values that suit as many people as possible but inevitably they won’t work for everyone. Pleased to hear that you managed to amend the values to suit.

Bif

1 hour ago, legomanbiffo said:

Bif

Hi Bif,

Yep, CV179 sorted it out.   Really great sound package you created. 

Shame the Hornby dummy car only has pickups on one set of bogies.  But a small stay-alive will sort that out..

Chris

18 hours ago, Novco007 said:

Hi Bif,

Yep, CV179 sorted it out.   Really great sound package you created. 

Shame the Hornby dummy car only has pickups on one set of bogies.  But a small stay-alive will sort that out..

Chris

If Hornby just spent just little effort learning about DCC, they could catch others up.  No sign of this though, sadly.

Such a shame, 8Pin Interface, bad design, additional DCC lighting features.  It dead easy if they just asked.

Charlie

22 hours ago, charliepetty said:

If Hornby just spent just little effort learning about DCC, they could catch others up.  No sign of this though, sadly.

Such a shame, 8Pin Interface, bad design, additional DCC lighting features.  It dead easy if they just asked.

Charlie

i totally agree, there are a lot of manufacturers who have very advanced models, like your models. 

Chris

22 hours ago, charliepetty said:

Charlie

Simon Kohler answered this in a video a while back.

His response was that they don't want to back a loser. We have 21 pin but I heard 4-5 years ago that it was out of date & Plux18 would be the new standard....but this has not happened.

So which should Hornby use? 21 or 18? Their decision was to wait & see but, in the mean time, stick with 8 pins & the limited functionality it allows.

The 8 pin interface really holds things back, but if they switched, then they would have to make a new decoder because they will not sell a model in which their own decoder will not work.

14 hours ago, Kaput said:

They've released multiple models their own decoder physically doesn't actually fit into already...

I know. I have 3 87s myself & a Loksound Micro barely fits, but my point is that Hornby would almost certainly refuse to acknowledge this & claim that their model can be operated with their own decoder. Just don't mention the fact that you can't actually fit the body on!

Don't get me started on the speaker location for this model either. There is a location marked for a speaker but it will only fit once you have removed a cardan shaft. :banghead:

• Agree 1

• Novco007 changed the title to Class 800 /Loksound 4 / Legomanbiffo / active Braking
  • 3 weeks later...

I totally agree, along with the Class 71 & the Class 800.

We have offered ( Legoman & Me ) 4 years ago to help them with speaker and decoder design, but we were told that this was 'Not necessary'.

The Class 87 can be done but its just loads of effort, such a shame really.

Here is a movie of a Lima model, filmed when colour film had just come out!!

Edited by charliepetty