First attempt

Hi all,

Would appreciate some comments and critics (dont worry i know its not perfect, thats why I am asking, so please say it as you see it)

This is my first attempt at weathering. I used a mixture of airbrushing, powders and oil paints. 

Ps for some reason the chassis looks greenish... but is definitely a browny grime colour in real life. Must be a colour balance setting needing tweaking on my phone.

Thanks to anyone who comments in advance.

Bloxley - aka Tom20210720_203927.jpg.1296d00a658dc97efeb2315c18f147c1.jpg

• Like 8

• RMweb Gold

How does it compare, in your eyes, to the photograph you used as a refefrence? In my experience, realism comes from copying the real thing.

Is your rust too orange?

Does the dirt really run down the sides like that?

Is the inside a uniform colour?

You may well be able to be your own critic if you use a reference source that shows all the necessary detail.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

Looks good to me. 

My browns go a bit greeny under yellowish light too., even if I set the white balance on the camera. A whiter light helps a bit. 

Just a case of messing about until you get a pic you like. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Mick Bonwick said:

How does it compare, in your eyes, to the photograph you used as a refefrence? In my experience, realism comes from copying the real thing.

Is your rust too orange?

Does the dirt really run down the sides like that?

Is the inside a uniform colour?

You may well be able to be your own critic if you use a reference source that shows all the necessary detail.

I have to admit i never used a referance pic for this. I picked it up for £1.50 and have no intention of using it on a layout. Just a practice piece to have a go at some techniques on.

Your right about the rust shade though, it needs to be more brown, although it is nowhere near that orange in person, however it is definitely too vibrant. 

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

To my eyes it looks really good but, without a photo of an actual wagon for reference, it's impossible to say whether it is a good representation of reality.

David

Edited by Kylestrome
  • Like 1

I rather like it. The streaking looks nice and vertical which is really important. There are no tide marks and the blending is good. 

Yes, perhaps the rust is a bit orange but that is likely your lighting and camera. What is important is that it looks good to the eye. I know it is important that models photograph well but many get caught up in this aspect and forget to check how things look without a camera between the object and your eye. 

I try to check how my models look under the lighting conditions of the layout to the naked eye. 

I am no expert but now you have produced this very good attempt, perhaps introduce some painted rust and textures such as flaking. 

Although not exactly of your model, here is a great source of reference photos. 

https://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/br21thopperweld

• Like 1

The top half looks great.

Regarding the chassis, it looks great if you are trying to depict a wagon which has been dumped in a siding for a while. I feel one in regular service would have a dusting of brown from brake usage.

Lighting can make a big difference too. Tungsten bulbs are slightly yellow, standard fluorescent tubes are green & daylight is blue. Your eyes adjust to ambient lighting much better than a camera does, so a photograph is more heavily influenced by lighting. I have added some colour correction to your photo below, but without having seen it for myself, this is just a guess.

Colour correction & photography is another topic though...one which I know less about than I would like!

wagon1.jpg

• Friendly/supportive 1

20 hours ago, Pete the Elaner said:

The top half looks great.

Regarding the chassis, it looks great if you are trying to depict a wagon which has been dumped in a siding for a while. I feel one in regular service would have a dusting of brown from brake usage.

Lighting can make a big difference too. Tungsten bulbs are slightly yellow, standard fluorescent tubes are green & daylight is blue. Your eyes adjust to ambient lighting much better than a camera does, so a photograph is more heavily influenced by lighting. I have added some colour correction to your photo below, but without having seen it for myself, this is just a guess.

Colour correction & photography is another topic though...one which I know less about than I would like!

wagon1.jpg

Cheers bud. That does look more like the actual wagon. But yeah the colour the camera on my phone gave was way off. I do have a "proper" camera.... but i have to admit i am useless with it :(

• Like 1

On 22/07/2021 at 13:00, westernviscount said:

I rather like it. The streaking looks nice and vertical which is really important. There are no tide marks and the blending is good. 

Yes, perhaps the rust is a bit orange but that is likely your lighting and camera. What is important is that it looks good to the eye. I know it is important that models photograph well but many get caught up in this aspect and forget to check how things look without a camera between the object and your eye. 

I try to check how my models look under the lighting conditions of the layout to the naked eye. 

I am no expert but now you have produced this very good attempt, perhaps introduce some painted rust and textures such as flaking. 

Although not exactly of your model, here is a great source of reference photos. 

https://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/br21thopperweld

Thank you for the kind words. Yeah i would luke to experiment with chipping/ flaking in the future. Just need a few cheap wagons to give it a go on :)

• Like 1