Railway & Modelling Obituaries

RDK "Dick" Reidy

roythebus1

Sad to announce the passing of Richard Reidy, (Dick) of The Model Railway Club in the early hours of this morning 20th July 2021. Dick was a member of The Model Railway Club from the early 1960s, taking an active part in organising the exhibitions at Central Hall, the Horticultural halls and Wembley. He became Exhibition Manager in the early 1980s and was vice-president of the Model Railway Club. He was Borough Surveyor for the London Borough of Islington and had his own private survey practice. 

He was also a member of the Tallyllyn Railway from the early years.

Edited by roythebus1
  • Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 4

I'm in shock, and deeply saddened by this news, Dick was a good friend and confidant, during the short time I was a member of The Model Railway Club from 1977 to 1982. I learnt a lot from him, especially on full-size building construction/restoration, and Land-Rover mechanics, I was always impressed by his 1966 Series 2 hardtop (or was it a station-wagon with windows?), in cream and RAF blue, which obviously planted a seed, i've been a proud Landy owner for thirty-five years now, so thanks for that Dick. I remember being "recruited" by him, as a club volunteer, to assist him in installing the first half of the club's first ever central heating system, we used to joke with others as to which of the two of us laid the straightest pipes and who made the neatest soldered junctions. As a qualified council, and later, freelance building surveyor, Dick took it upon himself to oversee the general upkeep of Keen House, the club headquarters, ably assisted by the then caretaker Vince. Never saw as much of him after I had dropped out of the club, which in hindsight was a shame, but we still bumped into each other at various model shows, Landy spares suppliers, and of course the Ally Pally shows, the last time we met was the last pre-Covid Ally Pally show in March 2019.

Besides his MRC commitments, Dick was also heavily involved in the St.John's Ambulance, so medical knowledge was another skill he acquired, I don't know what rank he attained, but he must have been a senior officer, he had the keys to their offices and garages, and was often seen trundling around in a 1950s ambulance from their stable, and which was "borrowed" for shifting MRC layouts to exhibitions. His other "secret hobby", was an interest in bus, tram and local services, plus canals, and of course railways, so he had a very extensive knowledge in all things transport. There will never be another Dick Reidy, rest in peace old son.

Brian Kirby.

• Friendly/supportive 5

• RMweb Gold

Sad to have heard this today. Whilst I can’t claim to have been a close friend, there were many an enjoyable evening propping up the bar at Keen House into the late hours putting the world to rights.

He will be missed. 

Nestor 

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• 3 weeks later...

The funeral is on Tuesday 17th August at 11am. However Covid restrictions have seriously limited the number of people who can attend and unless you have had a personal confirmation from the family that there is a space for you please do not attempt to attend the service in person as it is at capacity. However the service will be available to view on-line, the live stream link should be as follows:

https://m.youtube.com/channel/UC0N1KmY3tiXID0cHu9fCsWQ/live

Or if that does not work, please go onto the St. Peter’s in Chains website at http://stpeterinchains.com

And scroll down to ‘service times’. In this section there is a link for Richard Reidy’s funeral live stream.