RAF Burtonwood / US Burtonwood Army Depot

Jim76

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, PenrithBeacon said:

The siding were still there c1967 but I can't remember whether they were still connected to the CLC

The connection - at least - existed well beyond that, I remember several failed attempts to photograph the signal in the 1980s, had to wait until it passed (as it needed a going away shot) and then head out of the window and point and shoot, and fail.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
8 hours ago, Jim76 said:

When did the rail connection open and close and what traffic would have operated over it?

On the Mersey Railways Facebook group there is a discussion about B/wood - including a photo of a 25 with TOPS number and a class 20 - both with a train of ferry wagons and according to one of the guys he went into the sidings on a train in 1988.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, beast66606 said:

On the Mersey Railways Facebook group there is a discussion about B/wood - including a photo of a 25 with TOPS number and a class 20 - both with a train of ferry wagons and according to one of the guys he went into the sidings on a train in 1988.

I have seen photos, probably taken in the 1980s, of Jeep-type vehicles on Ferry flats, and also of DB sliding-roof vans carrying unspecified cargo.

• Like 1

On 21/07/2021 at 20:39, Fat Controller said:

I have seen photos, probably taken in the 1980s, of Jeep-type vehicles on Ferry flats, and also of DB sliding-roof vans carrying unspecified cargo.

Thanks Brian - do you know where they would have come from / be going to? Cheers, Jim  

3 hours ago, Jim76 said:

Thanks Brian - do you know where they would have come from / be going to? Cheers, Jim  

US bases in Germany, I suspect; a lot of stuff was staged in the UK. There are some photos of Jeeps loaded on German flats at Harwich (nothing to say they were bound for Burtonwood) :- https://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/germanstake

This is the sort of item that might appear. The loading method is 'interesting'.

• Thanks 1