Network rail take on class 153s?

• RMweb Gold

Prob 'cos they're available and can go pretty much anywhere on route survey work.  We had 153.311 on 5Z01 Derby-Whitland today, seen at Ferryside.  No NR markings that I could see.

rev 153311 Ferryside 21Jul21 5Z01 Derby-Whitland.jpg

• Like 7
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

You can't do with 153s things you could do with original DMUs as each cab has a control cubical behind each cab 

So won't be any inspection vehicles or route learners without major rebuilding 

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Metr0Land said:

Prob 'cos they're available and can go pretty much anywhere on route survey work.  We had 153.311 on 5Z01 Derby-Whitland today, seen at Ferryside.  No NR markings that I could see.

rev 153311 Ferryside 21Jul21 5Z01 Derby-Whitland.jpg

The Network Rail branding is what appears as a black patch on the blue side in your pic.

153311 5Z01 Derby RTC to Whitland

East Midlands stuff is already fetching decent prices on ebay - expect a further  hike.....

Edited by newbryford
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, uax6 said:

I wonder if these are going to be the units that NR use to replace lengthmen?

Andy G

"Go anywhere" 950001 is apparently NRs most heavily used asset. The 153s will be a useful supplement.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

They are being trialled on video inspection, predominately through S&C. Currently the MPV used cannot cover what is required. With the current desire to move from physical inspection to train borne, these will prove very useful.  

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

10 hours ago, 313201 said:

2 ) Some153s could be completely stripped of cab equipment and placed in between 2 with the smaller 2nd cabs removed as in idea #1 so there would be 2 coaches each with just 1 cab and the 3rd with no cabs although the engine could be retained or it could be removed and used as a spare engine in case of a failure, the testing equipment could be fitted throughout all 3 coaches similar to the coaches used in the loco hauled network rail train.

Alternatively just leave the cabs in place as that costs nothing and you're not exactly losing "useful" space to them and you retain the flexibility to reform them anyway you like.

• RMweb Gold
18 hours ago, newbryford said:

The Network Rail branding is what appears as a black patch on the blue side in your pic.

153311 5Z01 Derby RTC to Whitland

East Midlands stuff is already fetching decent prices on ebay - expect a further  hike.....

Good thing I’ve got my five Hornby EMT Class 153’s :locomotive:

Not quite go anywhere. They do have C3 route restriction plus other local restrictions, mainly due to the steps at the small cab end bogie.

The bodies are load bearing on these, built of steel sections with the Leyland bodies riveted to it. It was why they have little cabs at one end because the rebuild would have been too big due to the vertical steel sections either side of the door openings.

• RMweb Gold

Class 153’s are banned between Southampton and Fareham, via Netley because of the steps on the short end.  Much to the horror of Wessex Trains control, a 158/153 combo with the 153 on the rear, was doing a Cardiff - Portsmouth and the 153 was supposed to be detached at Southampton.

The plan was bullet proof except nobody told the crew working the train, no had a driver been diagrammed to uncouple and take the unit to the sidings.  So when the train arrived at Portsmouth Harbour, it was headless chicken time and a Fratton driver was called in from home, uncouple and stable it at Fratton, at reduced speed.  He got paid 12 hours overtime rate for about 45 mins work.

To get it back to Westbury, it was decided to remove all the steps once the driver was onboard and travel at reduced speed from Fratton to Westbury.  The question was asked “why didn’t they send it back via Botley and Eastleigh” as they wouldn’t have need to take the steps off, to which control replied “oh yeah”.

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, cheesysmith said:

Not quite go anywhere. They do have C3 route restriction plus other local restrictions, mainly due to the steps at the small cab end bogie.

The bodies are load bearing on these, built of steel sections with the Leyland bodies riveted to it. It was why they have little cabs at one end because the rebuild would have been too big due to the vertical steel sections either side of the door openings.

If used in departmental use I guess there is scope for making the small cab bigger by making the vestibule at that end part of the cab. Any NR staff on board could use the other door as the normal  entry / exit to the saloon area.

23 hours ago, 313201 said:

2 ) Some153s could be completely stripped of cab equipment and placed in between 2 with the smaller 2nd cabs removed as in idea #1 so there would be 2 coaches each with just 1 cab and the 3rd with no cabs although the engine could be retained or it could be removed and used as a spare engine in case of a failure, the testing equipment could be fitted throughout all 3 coaches similar to the coaches used in the loco hauled network rail train.

Many tasks that used to require a couple of coaches of test equipment can these days be done with much smaller sensors and mid range computers. There are test trains such as the MerMec Roger 1000 which can do essentially the same job as the NMT in a single vehicle. 153s could easily do a variety of jobs including ultrasonic testing, video survey, communications testing and route learning.

Cheers

David

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• 3 months later...
  • RMweb Premium
On 22/07/2021 at 21:06, jools1959 said:

Class 153’s are banned between Southampton and Fareham, via Netley because of the steps on the short end.  Much to the horror of Wessex Trains control, a 158/153 combo with the 153 on the rear, was doing a Cardiff - Portsmouth and the 153 was supposed to be detached at Southampton.

The plan was bullet proof except nobody told the crew working the train, no had a driver been diagrammed to uncouple and take the unit to the sidings.  So when the train arrived at Portsmouth Harbour, it was headless chicken time and a Fratton driver was called in from home, uncouple and stable it at Fratton, at reduced speed.  He got paid 12 hours overtime rate for about 45 mins work.

To get it back to Westbury, it was decided to remove all the steps once the driver was onboard and travel at reduced speed from Fratton to Westbury.  The question was asked “why didn’t they send it back via Botley and Eastleigh” as they wouldn’t have need to take the steps off, to which control replied “oh yeah”.

Steps have been removed from the two test units, so this should see them cleared for more sections. Indeed, previously they were not permitted to use platform 2 at Basingstoke, but the Wessex unit did so as part of the transit from Derby to Eastleigh via Reading the other night. 

• RMweb Premium

Of the three units with NR, two have been modified for their new roles, one is being used as a route learner and rescue unit on the Anglia route due to the lack of 15x units now operating over that way. So far so good, very positive results so far and discussions on going about adding additional technology. 

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
29 minutes ago, big jim said:

the 153s had cameras in the similar style to the 950 unit on the ploughs, also looks to have RILA type cameras on them too

F290BE0F-49B1-41E3-9813-649201AC0076.jpeg.1c1b2335fc697f2a4f79a80484e2914b.jpeg

one of the side windows has been blanked off and replaced with a grille as well 

8FDB77E4-06DE-4C0A-B0AB-AE1A5900B63A.jpeg.34c416d4978cf342181c47d3a55270ef.jpeg

Internally there is now a generator and large battery bank. 
The cameras are similar, but improved and are angled better so that all angles are visible. 

Hopefully the trail is a success and some more units are converted. 
The infrared facility is great for identifying hot spots, will definitely prove it’s worth. 

• RMweb Premium

Jim, do you only do IM work at the min as you sign the traction, or do Colas have a shortage of drivers?

With your route knowledge, I’d of thought if it’s rolled out nationally, you’d be well placed, if Colas are short and GBRF are willing to share you. 

• RMweb Premium
7 minutes ago, black and decker boy said:

Saw them at Norwich recently (10th Oct), they seem rooted to the siding as didn’t move for a few weeks after

307B040D-AAF7-4C0B-8593-CAF25E301CCC.jpeg.d81b3802fc0969e764b3f3392414ab35.jpeg

8140EC88-C097-46E6-BFC8-BD1F90EDCAED.jpeg.7fcf539c0172ca1523e41e0fbaeb89f2.jpeg

Transit moves then there were some issues with drivers I believe. The VIU is now out recording. 
Your second picture is of the non converted unit used for driver training and rescue duties as required. Good comparison of the body side mods. 

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
17 minutes ago, Ncarter2 said:

Jim, do you only do IM work at the min as you sign the traction, or do Colas have a shortage of drivers?

With your route knowledge, I’d of thought if it’s rolled out nationally, you’d be well placed, if Colas are short and GBRF are willing to share you. 

I think GB took on a few trains when colas were struggling for drivers and trains were getting cancelled and we have kept hold of the circuit, we only do the UTU train though

I work it as Im one of the few that sign sign the traction and routes (from colas), I couldn’t see us getting anywhere near the 153s, I never signed the 950 while I was at colas either but I did sign 153s with FNW and Arriva 

Edited by big jim

• RMweb Gold
23 minutes ago, black and decker boy said:

Saw them at Norwich recently (10th Oct), they seem rooted to the siding as didn’t move for a few weeks after

Out and about recently, the VU one is currently at Manningtree

• Thanks 1