Using JMRI with Marklin Mfx decoders

wilwahabri

Definitely 2 rail, Marklin 29841-01V2 E-Lok BR 185.1 mfx. The body casting is also stamped Marklin. The whole loco is diecast metal, chassis and body. Works well with my DCC controller, it is just that the DCC decoder announced itself when interrogated as Trix Sound BB12000. I cannot find any details of a decoder like that on the Marklin website.

1 minute ago, wilwahabri said:

Definitely 2 rail, Marklin 29841-01V2 E-Lok BR 185.1 mfx. The body casting is also stamped Marklin. The whole loco is diecast metal, chassis and body. Works well with my DCC controller, it is just that the DCC decoder announced itself when interrogated as Trix Sound BB12000. I cannot find any details of a decoder like that on the Marklin website.

If "interrogated" = "what JMRI reports",  then JMRI only reports what a volunteer who wrote the decoder file has deduced from their often restricted knowledge of a manufacturer's coding of decoder types in CV values.   A manufacturer may not even put a CV in their decoders which allow exact matching of sound project.   With a couple of exceptions (where makers actually add stuff), what gets into JMRI is what volunteer users/owners add to the project.  If nobody has bothered to add the loco you own, then it won't be there.      So, take what you get on identification as "guidance, best the software can do".   

As in your parallel thread elsewhere on RMWeb,  a BB12000 is a French electric loco.  Trix have produced a model of a BB12000 in the fairly recent past, decoder/sound fitted.   

From the information so far, can't tell if its a matter of JMRI not knowing what you have, or whether the decoder is identical to that in the BB12000, or even a decoder from a BB12000.   

- Nigel 

A case of mistaken identity?

1 hour ago, wilwahabri said:

Marklin and Trix are, in effect, the same company and produce 3-rail and two-rail versions of the same model.

Marklin H0 are ONLY 3 rail!

The model number you quote is for a Trix 2-rail locomotive.

Why make two castings for the same locomotive model?

Edited by JohnDMJ

• AY Mod locked this topic