What do the in cab announcements mean (Austria) ?

Artless Bodger

Watching an Austrian cab ride video (Semmering Bahn, very interesting), at intervals a voice announces either what sounds like 'zug beeinflussing' or 'steurung', what do these mean? Steurung means control (as in Steurwagen) so does this indicate to the driver they are coming off the zug beeinflussing (ATP?)? I've looked up LZB and PZB but technically it's a bit beyond me, and the announcements don't seem to be covered. Thanks in anticipation.

• RMweb Premium

The "Zugbeeinflussung" callout is indeed related to PZB, specifically to the driver acknowledging a distant signal at warning to expect a stop or speed restriction. ÖBB began using these voice recordings for cab interface announcements with the introduction of the Siemens ES 64 U2 series, actually hiring popular TV journalist and actress Christine Lohner who has also provided station and onboard passenger information announcements since 1979 - albeit with a hiatus from 2011 to 2015 when synthetic speech announcements were tried but ultimately rejected on the strength of customer feedback.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Artless Bodger said:

Thank you for that information. The 'steurung' callout is for some other signal indication?

I guess you mean „Störung“! Which means „malfunction“ but is actually something of a catch-all callout for various items which require attention, not all of which are actually faults in the sense that something isn’t working. Don’t ask me why they didn’t provide a separate callout for these non-fault items, though!

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2