DCC first time

Hello everyone 

I has loads of diesel locomotives need DCC decoder without sounds but how much cost for one DCC decoder because I like any class by lights on and micro diesel servicing and light maintenance depot need nighttime by need any class of locomotive lights on

i know lots of money for buy DCC system and decoders

thank you

It rather depends on the scale you are operating, though decoders that will switch 2 sets of lights off/on and operate the loco can be bought for £12, but they don't have a high current capacity and don't offer the best of control - suitable for n-gauge and small 00 scale. They will also need soldering into the locos, unless the locos have DCC sockets fitted, in which case you need to buy the correct one for the interface.

If you want sound then that is a lot more.

I model in HO and HOn3.  Recently I bought a Walthers Alco PA1/PB1 set in straight DC.  I already have a PA1 with DCC and sound.  Since I will always be operating these units together, I want to get decoders which do not have sound.  What decoders can I get which have 21-pin settings but do not have sound?  Will these work with all three units as DCC?

A reasonable decoder is £15 -35 ish.

I use standard Bachmann ones for 21 pin, the older 8 pin locos I use lenz silver . Cheaper ones are available but I’ve found the Hornby and gaugemaster ones I tried, frankly , cr@p

they do represent a significant investment but the flexibility DCC gives you is a fun aspect .

I would stick with the better brands. They can cost a little more but are worth it for the better control charactristics and for robustness. The brands I am thinking of are ESU, Lenz and Zimo, all of which have some overload protection built-in. There are several budget Zimo decoders selling for around £20 each, and they have a full set of CVs and functions available.

If you are looking at sound, Hornby's TTS decoders are very inexpensive, but you get what you pay for. Having said that, the diesel ones are not bad at all, and there are a few available at reduced prices - I paid £25 from Kernow Models for a TTS class 60 decoder. Hornby's decoders in general are not very robust, though, and I really don't like their standard decoders; any of those I have tend to get relegated to lighting functions in unpowered vehicles, such as DMU trailer cars. I would not recommend using any Hornby decoders in Heljan diesels unless you like to see smoke coming out (that only works once per decoder, though! :jester: ).

Edited by SRman

5 hours ago, Mtncolonel said:

What decoders can I get which have 21-pin settings but do not have sound?  Will these work with all three units as DCC?

Most manufacturers produce 21-pin decoders that do not have sound.  However, in your case, you are going to have to purchase one of the better brands that have loads of different configuration variables (CVs) - ESU or Zimo would probably be top of the list.  The problem you will have is that with a sound decoder, there is a delay between when you turn up the throttle and when the engine starts to move which is to allow the decoder to play the engine start up sounds that are in the sound file.  A non-sound decoder will start to accelerate instantly.  You will therefore have a lot of work to do adjusting CVs on the non-sound decoder to try and get the performance to match the sound decoder.  That is, finding a CV to delay the start up to match the sound decoder and then you'll probably need to set up a speed table and speed match the different decoders.  Be prepared to read the user manual in great detail and for a huge amount of faffing about trying to get your consist to run reliably.  If you're after a simpler approach, it would be better to use the same brand of sound decoder in each of the locomotives that you want to consist.

5 hours ago, rob D2 said:

Cheaper ones are available but I’ve found the Hornby and gaugemaster ones I tried, frankly , cr@p

I would agree regarding the earlier Gaugemaster ones & I'm not going to re-open the can of worms regarding origination.

However, the new Ruby range are very different & having tried them they are now on my "go-to" list for locomotives that benefit from using a form or stay alive/keep going.

Otherwise, for non sound locomotives my "go to" is the Lenze Silver.

• Informative/Useful 1

2 hours ago, Dungrange said:

Most manufacturers produce 21-pin decoders that do not have sound.  However, in your case, you are going to have to purchase one of the better brands that have loads of different configuration variables (CVs) - ESU or Zimo would probably be top of the list.  The problem you will have is that with a sound decoder, there is a delay between when you turn up the throttle and when the engine starts to move which is to allow the decoder to play the engine start up sounds that are in the sound file.  A non-sound decoder will start to accelerate instantly.  You will therefore have a lot of work to do adjusting CVs on the non-sound decoder to try and get the performance to match the sound decoder.  That is, finding a CV to delay the start up to match the sound decoder and then you'll probably need to set up a speed table and speed match the different decoders.  Be prepared to read the user manual in great detail and for a huge amount of faffing about trying to get your consist to run reliably.  If you're after a simpler approach, it would be better to use the same brand of sound decoder in each of the locomotives that you want to consist.

Some makers (eg. ESU) include a specific setting in their non-sound decoders for precisely this problem.   So the amount of faffing to make a mix of non-sound and sound locos have the same behaviour is considerably reduced. 

- Nigel

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

Most ZIMO non-sound decoders have this option too, though you will need a recent Firmware version to enable it. This FW may be either on your decoder already with a recent purchase or added by updating*. (check with your supplier and make it clear that you need V40.4 or later).  CV273 sets the duration of the start delay, and operates exactly as in the sound decoders.

*This ability to keep your decoders up to date regarding bug fixes and new features added as they develop by updating the FW is only possible with some brands. As it's a useful feature it's well worth finding out if the brand you are considering has the facility, as otherwise the only route to updated features is to buy a new decoder.

Best regards,

Paul

Edited by pauliebanger
  • Informative/Useful 2