RTP 00 track with correct sleeper spacing and points.

• RMweb Premium

In track layout and design this got nowhere.

Thought I’d try here.

paste

Andy’s link to Marcway was handy but no online shop? Is it a call them for a quotation thing?

Then the British Finescale link seems to be coming along in N but no 00 track yet only a 00 point/turnout.

Linky  there is track components though but code 40 so probably to fine for me.

I probably need some this winter so unsure if that range will develop fast enough for my needs.

Anyone with any thoughts please feel free to comment below.

cheers

Ade

Edited by AdeMoore
Posted to soon by accidental hit of the return key!

• AdeMoore changed the title to RTP 00 track with correct sleeper spacing and points.
  • RMweb Premium

Yes, Marcway are an old-fashioned model shop.  The website is their catalogue, you then contact them to place an order - phone is best.  Track is their thing, so worth a call if I’ve interpreted what you’re after correctly.  

Richard T

• RMweb Premium
13 minutes ago, RichardT said:

Yes, Marcway are an old-fashioned model shop.  The website is their catalogue, you then contact them to place an order - phone is best.  Track is their thing, so worth a call if I’ve interpreted what you’re after correctly.  

Richard T

Thanks Richard just the advice I was after. I was looking at DCC Concepts legacy track but was advised against it as it’s stainless steel very difficult to solder and I’m not even sure if it’s still being produced.

Peco seems to be a none starter with its bullhead as there is track and just large radius points.

So it looks like CLfinescale and Marcway are the only options for correct spaced sleepers and 16.5mm gauge 00.

cheers again for the advice.

Ade

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, AdeMoore said:

Then the British Finescale kit seems to be coming along in N but no 00 track yet only a 00 point/turnout.

there is track components though but code 40 so probably to fine for me.

I probably need some this winter so unsure if that range will develop fast enough for my needs.

Hi Ben thanks for that, that’s British Finescale I referred to in the original post as sniped above. Nothing there yet bar one point in 00 RTP and code 40 on the kits bit to fine for me and my stock unfortunately.

cheers for taking the time though.

Ade

Edited by AdeMoore
Expanding my reply

• RMweb Premium
54 minutes ago, Ben Alder said:

I think Code 40 is for the 2mm range - the 00 one is Code 75.

Ah there you go I learned something today! So just the one 00 product then.

Linky  Think I’ll need something sooner than Wayne looks like getting more 00 to market.

Thanks Ben.

• RMweb Premium
15 hours ago, AdeMoore said:

Peco seems to be a none starter with its bullhead as there is track and just large radius points.

But you could still use the plain track, surely?

There have been lengthy discussions on RMweb in the past about rtp 00 bullhead (some of which got rather fractious), which may be worth your digging up as the subject of timbering short radius points was discussed more than once.  As far as I recall the general opinion was that spacing would have to be considerably compromised to accommodate the much smaller than scale radius of the points.  Peco have talked about medium radius bullhead points at some future time but I don't think short radius are on the cards, possibly for this reason.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

The Peco slips (much delayed) show the limitations of scale sleepering with non-prototype geometry. They just about get away with it with the 5ft radius (nominal) turnouts.

I don't think it will be much longer before Wayne Kinney adds items to the 4mm range.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

Cheers Simon I guess your right, then go with code 75 points or Marcway I guess if they would match up.

That’s what I was after another line of attack as you tend to get into tunnel vision.

Cheers

Ade

• RMweb Premium
7 minutes ago, Joseph_Pestell said:

I don't think it will be much longer before Wayne Kinney adds items to the 4mm range.

Interesting Joseph from what I read on the topic he was committed to getting the  EM stuff out first as they are suppliers to his product. Then once he’s honoured that moving to 00. Didn’t sound that imminent to me.

perhaps you know more?

cheers for the info.

Ade

Edited by AdeMoore
Making more sense

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, AdeMoore said:

Cheers Simon I guess your right, then go with code 75 points or Marcway I guess if they would match up.

That’s what I was after another line of attack as you tend to get into tunnel vision.

Cheers

Ade

Before Peco bullhead came along, quite a few layouts appeared with a mix of SMP and Peco code 75 fb and you could no doubt do the same with the Peco plain track.  Some people even glued chairs to the points to improve appearance (see for example Ben Alder's post here), though if you're strapped for time that may not be a road you want to start down.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Flying Pig said:

But you could still use the plain track, surely?

There have been lengthy discussions on RMweb in the past about rtp 00 bullhead (some of which got rather fractious), which may be worth your digging up as the subject of timbering short radius points was discussed more than once.  As far as I recall the general opinion was that spacing would have to be considerably compromised to accommodate the much smaller than scale radius of the points.  Peco have talked about medium radius bullhead points at some future time but I don't think short radius are on the cards, possibly for this reason.

Is it just the timbering which would be the problem for short radius turnouts? The existing (large) bullhead turnouts use a 1 piece point blade, rather than the hinged design used for streamline so the blade itself needs to bend. Would this cause a problem for short radius?

The correct rail height for 4mm is 82 thou so 75 is actually sightly underscale (but we are discussing OO so the gauge is also underscale).

Regarding plain track, most seem to be assuming that bullhead is required, but the OP does not state this. Flatbottom rail on wooden or concrete sleepers have been common for many years on running lines. Re-spacing sleepers is easy but tedious, so I can understand why many prefer to avoid it.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, Pete the Elaner said:

Is it just the timbering which would be the problem for short radius turnouts? The existing (large) bullhead turnouts use a 1 piece point blade, rather than the hinged design used for streamline so the blade itself needs to bend. Would this cause a problem for short radius?

The correct rail height for 4mm is 82 thou so 75 is actually sightly underscale (but we are discussing OO so the gauge is also underscale).

Regarding plain track, most seem to be assuming that bullhead is required, but the OP does not state this. Flatbottom rail on wooden or concrete sleepers have been common for many years on running lines. Re-spacing sleepers is easy but tedious, so I can understand why many prefer to avoid it.

TBH I assumed my period end of steam on the Withered Arm I.e. Southern west of Exeter was bullhead now having a scout at photos it appears to be flat bottom.

1194ADDE-AD00-4E6C-8DFF-E5A71A1C594C.jpeg.5f2d720034071168ecc30fed21199d2e.jpeg
Where does that lead us?

cheers for the info Pete.

Ade

Edited by AdeMoore

1 hour ago, Pete the Elaner said:

The correct rail height for 4mm is 82 thou so 75 is actually slightly under scale (but we are discussing OO so the gauge is also under scale).

I believe that the correct rail height in 4mm scale is 82 thou for flat bottom rail and 75 thou for bullhead rail, so the code 75 rail isn't under scale when referring to the bullhead range, but is under scale when referring to the Code 75 Finescale range which uses flat bottom rail. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Flying Pig said:

Probably with a mixture of the two types, as there is in fact in that photo (look at the lines to the left and right of the train). 

Looks like Bullhead for sidings etc Mainline Flatbottom. So Bullhead Flexi isn't a problem as you have C&L, Marcway and Peco. Flatbottom is more of a problem. If you model EM or P4 and its on concrete then if you or know someone who is a member of Scalefour or possibly EMGS then you can use Exactoscale Fast Track bases. They used to do it for 00 but I can't see it on the lists any more. If you fancy it on timber then I am afraid it is currently only possible by hand building, from personal experience it is quite time consuming and not cheap if you want it ready to lay.

• Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, Stephen Freeman said:

If you want to use Peco Pandrols, the only choice these days is their Code 83 as they don't do Code 82 anymore, others Code 82 rail will probably not fit.(pretty certyain of that).

I have just built some turnouts with the EMGS code 83 rail (I assume its the same as Peco) and its a tight fit into the Peco Pandrol fixings. C&L still sell code 82 rail which may be a better fit, they also sell the ST baseplates to fit the code 82 Rail

Another source for flatbottom rail with the correct size sleepers and spacing is the Exactoscale  4FT106A – FastTrack Concrete Sleeper Base (1.95 Metres) sold in packs without rail, this takes the C&L code 82 rail (no need to fit individual chairs)

In my opinion the best 4mm scale 00 gauge flexitrack is the new C&L bullhead track sold either in mainline or branchline versions. This track has key details where as its competitors has none, also the track can be brought with keys in one direction (mainline) or alternating (branch/single line working) 

• Informative/Useful 2

19 hours ago, AdeMoore said:

Interesting Joseph from what I read on the topic he was committed to getting the  EM stuff out first as they are suppliers to his product. Then once he’s honoured that moving to 00. Didn’t sound that imminent to me.

perhaps you know more?

cheers for the info.

Ade

Ade

I have built an EM gauge version and they as very simple to assemble, the 00 gauge variant will be exactly the same. You will need to cut the rails to length and slightly curve (between your fingers) the odd rail, and file the ends, just as you would do with flexitrack.

Wayne is working on A5 turnouts and I think will be available in the not too distant future. I think these look better than the new Peco items as the timbering is square on with the straight road rather than equalised. I am sure the 00 B7's are out now 

• Informative/Useful 1

4 hours ago, hayfield said:

I have just built some turnouts with the EMGS code 83 rail (I assume its the same as Peco) and its a tight fit into the Peco Pandrol fixings. C&L still sell code 82 rail which may be a better fit, they also sell the ST baseplates to fit the code 82 Rail

Another source for flatbottom rail with the correct size sleepers and spacing is the Exactoscale  4FT106A – FastTrack Concrete Sleeper Base (1.95 Metres) sold in packs without rail, this takes the C&L code 82 rail (no need to fit individual chairs)

In my opinion the best 4mm scale 00 gauge flexitrack is the new C&L bullhead track sold either in mainline or branchline versions. This track has key details where as its competitors has none, also the track can be brought with keys in one direction (mainline) or alternating (branch/single line working) 

Unfortunately as I mentioned the 00 Fast Track concrete sleepers flat bottom is not as far as I can see currently in either of the Society lists, just the one for Bullhead. A pity.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

Cheers all for the helpful replies I’m just designing the baseboards now so need is not immediate.

Just wanted the track in stock ready but I’ll wait a bit and see how Wayne gets on bringing the 00 to market, the  CL version given the detail @hayfielddescribes sounds interesting I’ll take a look.

thanks for all the replies 

Ade