Mystery Gunpowder Van in 00

• RMweb Premium

A gunpowder van in S R markings which arrived with a job lot of Hornby bought on eBay.     Wagon has white metal sides and ends which have not fitted together very well, yet the roof and floor are made from very thin plasticard type material.  Can anyone identify the make of kit?

IMG_6216.JPG

Edited by cessna152towser
typo

I think the SR livery is appropriate (although something is nagging at me about SR painting gunpowder vans red, so check) in that the LBSCR had a small number of gunpowder vans that, to my eyes at least, look exactly like GW iron minks, which were inherited by SR.

• RMweb Premium
9 minutes ago, Darryl Tooley said:

Looks to be the ABS LSWR Gunpowder van.  The axleboxes are certainly LSWR pattern.

D

The ends are different  & the doors look different

9 hours ago, Nearholmer said:

So, were these various vans built to GW drawings, by the different companies, or by a contractor, or .... ?

I would imagine there would be detail differences even if nominally built to the GWR design (either from the drawings (provided Swindon could be persuaded to provide copies!) or passing a tape measure over an example  :secret:  . Fittings such as axleboxes, buffers, brake gear etc. would be the company standard.

As regards SR gunpowder van livery here is Dapol's take on it. (It looks rather BR to me? SR wagon brown was much darker than this.)

https://www.Dapol.co.uk/shop/oo-gauge/wagons-OO-Gauge/gunpowder-vans

The body is the same as, or based on, the old Dublo moulding (plus a droop it seems to have acquired over the years). This was a BR design based on the WWII GWR design. Like most Dublo wagons it got a 10' wheelbase,17' 6" over headstocks underframe whether appropriate or (as in this case) not.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Nearholmer said:

the LBSCR had a small number of gunpowder vans that, to my eyes at least, look exactly like GW iron minks, which were inherited by SR.

Interesting, in that the last of the Caledonian Railway's gunpowder vans were almost carbon copies of GWR Iron Minks, even down to having GWR rather than CR brake gear.

I had a whitemetal mink kit from 40+ years ago that I decorated at the time as LNWR (ABS?). On rediscovering it, a Dettol paint strip and rejig the brake gear to Morton as per L&YR from several photos I have seen and it's a keeper, though the axle boxes are not correct but I can live with that.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Nearholmer said:

I think the SR livery is appropriate (although something is nagging at me about SR painting gunpowder vans red, so check) in that the LBSCR had a small number of gunpowder vans that, to my eyes at least, look exactly like GW iron minks, which were inherited by SR.

The LSWR has a dozen gunpowder vans that looked "exactly" like the GWR Minks, built to a similar design.  The LBSC had four GPVs, but they looked like sheet-covered versions of their standard van design, so only tenuously similar to the GWR.  Similarly the SECR, serving more explosive manufacturing companies than the others, has some 25 GPVs, again based upon sheeted versions of their standard designs. Several of all three companies' vans survived into the 1950s, in various guises.  The SR wagon books refer to these vans being painted in standard Southern wagon brown, and not red.

• Informative/Useful 1