Hornby mk1 maroon

You can get complete plastic coach interior for older coaches that otherwise have nothing (especially BR Mark 1), also seat mouldings for compartments that you would have to cut to length to suit particular coaches and space them yourself but you would generally have to paint them too.  Also some 3D printed seating on sites like Shapeways.

I've never seen any transfers to give a more realistic moquette pattern rather than a single colour of paint, but there are a couple of people on here who manufacture transfers so they may spot it as a gap in the market?

There used to be fold-up printed cardboard interiors produced by Peco?  Kitmaster? which I've seen from time to time on ebay.

I don't know about transfers, but I just painted mine (4mm scale). When I re-assembled the first one and looked through the windows from a 'distance' (maybe 4-6 inches) I found that the detail of my painting was not particularly noticeable anyway. However, mine were corridor coaches and so it depended on which way round the coaches were on the track. 

Therefore I just made sure I had a decent representation of the internal colours and was happy with that. I had thought about adding representations of mirrors or photos above the seat backs, but I decided that (for me, anyway) it was hardly worth it. 

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, jonny777 said:

Those 'mirrors' really do show up well on that photo. I might reconsider my decision not to add them after looking at your excellent effort. 

Thanks Jonny. Just strips of tin foil stuck on with PVA.

For the antimacassars on the 1st class seats I used white paint, but I have since changed my method - I now cut small squares out of white self-adhesive label. Neater and even quicker!

• Thanks 1

the curtains & mirrors are a good effect, I painted the table tops white on an old TSO to simulate preservation dining, this worked to break up the interior.

I did not know about the kitmaster interiors were available to download.

Divid.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Like the "mirror" idea, for the orange curtains I used strips from a carrier bag. I populate my coaches with some very cheap sitting passengers I found on Ebay, they're about 1/100th scale but look OK to me. Here is my Hornby Mk1 BSOT conversion with little punters.

MK1 BSOT 9015pic2 .jpg

• Like 1