Dugort Harbour

jhb171achil

August 1960, and ex-CBSCR No. 472, the pilot engine at Castletown West, is called upon to shunt at Dugort harbour, following the failure of Crossley C202.

"Yer man's doing well on firing now - just got passed out"

"Sure what'll he do when the steam's all gone? It's supposed to be gone in a couple of years. And THAT yoke will fail its next boiler test, I can tell ye..."

"Ah, pay no attention - sure they're always on about all that stuff"

IMG_E5993.JPG

IMG_E5994.JPG

Edited by jhb171achil
  • Like 2

The following day, and it's A42...

"How come A30 isn't on it? I thought that engine was on for a few days?"

"Failed on the goods last night at Headford Junction, after it left here....the usual, broken fuel pipe...."

IMG_5894 (2).JPG

IMG_E5894.JPG

IMG_E5986.JPG

Edited by jhb171achil
  • Like 5

"If PJ sees this lot there'll be war - this was all meant to be loaded on the mixed this morning"

"Well, there was no sign of Tommy to load it this morning, an' it's not my job"

"That's coz he was in O'Donoghue's till five in the morning - where d'ye think all them empty barrels came from!"

"Some oul session it was, to be fair.....yer man's sister is a great oul ballad singer...."

"Were YOU there too?"

"Yeah, but I'm on the late today. Did me bit emptyin' those kegs....."

IMG_E5988.JPG

• Like 8

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 21/01/2023 at 23:09, Hunslet 102 said:

Some great pictures and great story telling! You can just imagine the truth behind the stories, rural Ireland at its best captured in picture and dialogue 

A few - but only a few - of these stories are based on real-life ones I heard over the years!

• Like 2

13 hours ago, jhb171achil said:

A few - but only a few - of these stories are based on real-life ones I heard over the years!

Haha, I know, I can relate!!

I remember travelling south from Belfast, to meet up with some work friends in a small village outside Dublin. As the evening drew to a close, I asked “what time do the pubs shut at down here “. The reply came “sure the gard’s will be along soon “. I said “oh, do the police close the pubs down here”, with the reply coming back of “no, they ensure the doors are locked and we can stay in with them as long as we want “ !!!

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...
On 31/01/2023 at 13:22, Hunslet 102 said:

Haha, I know, I can relate!!

I remember travelling south from Belfast, to meet up with some work friends in a small village outside Dublin. As the evening drew to a close, I asked “what time do the pubs shut at down here “. The reply came “sure the gard’s will be along soon “. I said “oh, do the police close the pubs down here”, with the reply coming back of “no, they ensure the doors are locked and we can stay in with them as long as we want “ !!!

Could that have been Jack Gibneys in Malahide on Monday nights?

• 1 month later...

“It’s far too heavy. We’d need six fellas to even move it. Whose idea was it to give the crane man the morning off, that’s what I’d like to know…..“

”It says on the forms that it’s a machine part of some sort!”

“Jaysus, no wonder. Away up the town and see if we can find Barney to give us a lift with his tractor hoist thing…..”

FC1DF008-6434-4AA6-A3FF-9E8E257C6800.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

It isn’t often you’ll see an “A” class on the Harbour branch, but even less two; on a dull day in 1964, A12 has been commandeered from an empty cattle wagon train to rescue A55, which has dumped a load of diesel onto the track courtesy of a cracked pipe.

F40E50FC-66C0-4C63-944A-6A111CD7965D.jpeg

01023E6B-6AE3-42D3-B24A-621DD803A11B.jpeg

• Like 2

On a quiet afternoon in 1957, A42 has the Castletown local. The train consists of a brand new, but already filthy “tin van” (it was on the Valentia line for the last ten days behind a J15!); an old DSER six-wheel third, and an elderly GSWR bogie brake composite of 1915 vintage.

Some years earlier, the last ex-CBSCR 472 class 0.6.0ST leaves Dugort Harbour with the morning up goods.

5C511E64-2BF3-4805-B4FF-EA2AA36C50D0.jpeg

CA3F2A65-E741-4A2D-9086-9C558AC4575B.jpeg

• Like 3

472 lasted late hidden away at the end of this sprawling and little-visited West Kerry branch. Just before withdrawal, it is seen here shunting at Dugort Harbour in spring 1962. An elderly van filled with empty fish boxes and three cans of paraffin looks on….

771F2870-8D8B-4A00-9574-3EA8A4242548.jpeg

Edited by jhb171achil
  • Like 3

• 1 month later...

“….Ten to one. I stuck two shillings on it. It’s bound to win. If it wins I’ll win a POUND!…..”

”Jayyysus. Let’s get these damn things loaded in the van……”

IMG_7220.jpeg

Edited by jhb171achil