Manning Wardle Old Class i: a self-designed 'kit'

superb - what cad tool did you use for the etch.  I also noticed that you are using 0.3mm NS, any particular reason for this.....i have always used 0.45mm but there was no science behind that decision.

The castings are excellent......really nice and clean.

13 minutes ago, Timber said:

superb - what cad tool did you use for the etch.  I also noticed that you are using 0.3mm NS, any particular reason for this.....i have always used 0.45mm but there was no science behind that decision.

If you look more closely you will find that whilst the Brass  is etched as 0.3mm the Nickle Silver says 0.4mm I too am curious, I assume the brass is thinner to make it just a little easier to form the bodywork ?

I'm curious about the castings, did you 3d print them in something exotic and then have them investment cast or something else ? 

2 hours ago, Timber said:

I used AutoCAD for the etch artwork. There are many free alternatives that would do just as good a job, but AutoCAD I can use free through work, and it also has the benefit of loads of tutorial videos on YouTube being available to help out the newbie enthusiast!

With regard to the material thickness, as DGO says, the brass parts are thinner (0.3mm) than the N/S (0.4mm) purely for ease of forming bends and curves on the bodywork. I admit that when you handle the fret as a whole, it feels pretty thin, but once everything is soldered up together, I hope it will be fine. If not, then I would imagine that having it etched as 0.4mm next time would be achievable without major redesign work. I guess I'm still feeling my way around a bit.....

2 hours ago, DGO said:

I'm curious about the castings, did you 3d print them in something exotic and then have them investment cast or something else ? 

Basically, yes. After doing a lot of development test prints in a standard ABS-like resin, I bought a castable resin (PowerResin Zero), where you print the pieces, and then had them investment cast. Have a look here from about halfway down the 1st page onwards and you can see what I did.

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

13 minutes ago, DGO said:

Cheers, would you mind letting us know who did the investment casting for you ? Always nice to know of a company that can handle small scale work

It was Jewellery Casting Scotland Ltd. Only used them this once, but really nice people to deal with.

• Like 1

The first snips into the fret... I made up some of the parts to fit between the frames. Eventually the spacers will position the frames accurately, and the following parts will drop in and soldered to provide extra strength and support. First, I made up the fire box and ash pan representation. This is a series of switchback folds that just need soldering together, after the numerous rivets had been punched out. I really must invest in a proper rivet punch rather than the gravity punches I use – there was a lot of bending in the material to sort out afterwards – a proper punch with an anvil would have eliminated some of that bend. Next, was the cylinder chest and head. The cylinder head is made from 2 laminates (both for the front and back of the chest, sweated together, with a 3rd on top for the end of the cylinder itself. The inner layer is 0.4mm smaller, which provides a nice little recess for the cylinder chest wrapper to be formed around and soldered to. The motion bracket was a simple 2 layer lamination, which also doubles as a spacer, adding much needed rigidity to the frames. To be honest, I didn't have a drawing of the this, and so the result is an amalgam of knowledge of a different MW class, and what was needed as regards support for the cross slides, space for the eccentric rods to pass through, and clearance at the sides for spring balance arms. It won't be too far off. So far, so good. 

1624153403_IMG_31802.jpg.2a9297aba04a130fed62778d60192349.jpg

1126517070_IMG_31832.JPG.fa4420ff75dc8ae6f28923dc8383db11.JPG

1432535407_IMG_32143.JPG.1996333c2d16afc58b9d3e4e5bbeccf2.JPG

451741723_IMG_32103.jpg.7f4df1600b387555a8f87d1bc5d7e123.jpg

2143425424_IMG_32173.JPG.8178c621e0b402075f71305ad88113f9.JPG

773551157_IMG_32033.jpg.27f760f915d042dbc22514349f79fe36.jpg

• Like 11
  • Craftsmanship/clever 8

1 hour ago, Ruston said:

Mind if I pull up a chair and watch this one? I do like a Manning Wardle and this build looks very interesting...

Feel free, but don't expect it to be quick! I am aiming to get as much done this summer as I can before September comes and I'm back to work....

Next job was to make the coupling rods – a simple 3 layer lamination and a knuckle joint to provide articulation if required. This could be soldered solid if you weren’t using any form of springing. I'm going to spring the centre axel - I need to be able to drop the axel out so I can remove the cranks and eccentrics for the inside motion, so I might as well spring it whilst I'm at it. I lined each layer of the coupling rods up by using drill bits in the holes to ensure the holes were perpendicular to the faces. The holes were then opened up using a broach and cutting oil to accept the crank pin bush. I perhaps ought to point out, that whilst opening out the holes, and for the second loco build in a row, I bent the coupling rod whilst doing this……that’s when I broke out the cutting oil, which worked much better. I remember thinking the first time I bent one that I need to use oil next time. And still forgot. Just as well I had a spare fret! All good now though.

2058453677_IMG_33123.JPG.5b6bffee2c33fdb533bfb223de16b823.JPG

IMG_3323.JPG.b86da2f606f2d9a281e1a87d8bd2b49f.JPG

IMG_3324.JPG.b88361c30fc6b1ecd68b4adf6d05a4e6.JPG

• Like 6
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

• 2 weeks later...

In between an unexpected week in the Lake District, and various bits of DIY directed by Mrs B, I have managed to get a free-rolling chassis without incident. There were a few other small details that I’d have liked to have added to the frames before putting them together (like the guard irons, frame supports and spring balance arms), but the jig I use means I need a flat surface to butt the frame up to. So next, I prepared the frame spacers, cut out the space for the horn guides, and opened out the bearing holes before using the jig the align everything. Having set up the jig using the coupling rods to establish the wheel bases, the spacers, motion bracket, ash pan and cylinder chest were soldered between the frames. I then added the front and rear guard irons, spring balance rocker arms, frame supports, blowdown valves and bearings for the fixed axels and horn guides for the centre axel. 

Really, I wanted to build the chassis rigid with no springing or compensation, purely to see if it would run well, but my (over?) ambition to fit inside motion necessitated the centre axel to be removable, so I thought I may as well pop a spring in there too. I'm sure someone will tell me this is a bad idea! However on first inspection, all seems to run well and freely. 

IMG_4188.JPG.1a4f38fd1f47c2fd1b947b5701373a14.JPG

IMG_4189.JPG.c33a0b0f82d5f8347493ec80a8bfab58.JPG

IMG_4191.JPG.2cfc3c4f8bf7a7d570b2be65f5604eb2.JPG

I also had a play about with the splashers, simply shaped around a drill bit, and soldered onto the vertical sections which fold up from the running plate. The etch needs changing as the the splasher tops are slightly too short, but nothing that can't be hidden on a test build! Only had time to do the rear two so far. When I designed the etches, I didn't know whether to use a laminated approach for the springs that fold up from the running plate, or cast them. In the end, I've decided to go with the cast option, but either way, I needed to fill the hole left by the top layer of the spring. On the etch, I put a spring-shaped 'void filler' so I could fill that hole, solder in place and sand back smooth. You can also just about see this next to the rear splashers.

IMG_4193.JPG.7800e04b839411469491a67210f83ab3.JPG

Finally, just because I wanted to check the fit, I cleaned up a slide bar and cross head. The fit between the two is too loose and I'll need to change the print next time a send some castings off. I'll shim the cross head for now though.

IMG_4201.JPG.9430e6e35960043436ba4bdac871491d.JPG

Edited by jdb82
  • Like 7
  • Craftsmanship/clever 8
  • Round of applause 1

wow amazing work.  The additional 3D printed inner hornblocks is a nice touch.

I will be interested to see how the boiler fits within the chassis.  On my drawing (something that is probably incorrect) the boiler appears to sit below the top of the frames....interested in your perspective on this.

really nice work.

Edited by Timber

3 hours ago, Timber said:

wow amazing work.  Thwe additioonal 3D printed inner hornblocks is a nice touch.

I will be interested to see how the boiler fits within the chassis.  On my drawing (something that is probably incorrect) the boiler appears to sit below the top of the frames....interested in your perspective on this.

really nice work.

Must admit that on the drawing I worked from it looked as though it sat just above the chassis, but it was close - difficult to tell accurately. It should look OK I think.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Not had too much time to spend on this recently, but whilst I pluck up the courage to start on the inside motion, I made a start on a couple of bits of body work. I finished the splashers off, filled in the gaps left behind by the fold up springs (not using these, and will eventually remove them from the CAD work) although looking at the photos a couple of areas need some further attention...... The eagled-eyed amongst you will also notice I had to move the holes for the fixing nuts at the rear of the running plate out a bit, as I'd got these a little too narrow on the original CAD drawing. Add it to the growing snagging list!

IMG_4278.JPG.ce9684d9b6bad0f1e15528408e076907.JPG

Next up was the front buffer beam. Looking at photos, most i-class prototypes seem to have a thick-ish layer of hardwood sandwiched between a front and rear layer of steel. I plan on doing the same, but here's the front layer with the coupling chain bracket and the buffer bodies attached. The buffers themselves are a self-contained sprung buffer - the hole in the side of the body is for a retaining wire that will hold the shank of the buffer head in place that will be soldered in and filed smooth at a later date.

IMG_4299.JPG.31b0e7645ff12f6cf1867fb84c97b117.JPG

• Like 10
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

• 2 weeks later...

Over the last couple of weeks, I've been constructing the buffer beams - the front plate of which is described in my previous post - a 2mm hardwood strip has since been sandwiched in between the buffer beam plates and the buffer beam supports and soldered on to the running plate, along with the valances (I'm sure I shouldn't have found this as fiddly as I did!!). 

IMG_4350.JPG.2c6968f25d18538f753db2b0b13a5065.JPG

IMG_4351.JPG.c765950952af9153ef146ac8cabe5d24.JPG

I have removed the parts for the inside motion from the sprues (apart from the balance weights which I have just noticed I've forgotten about and left on the sprue) and given them a good polish up with various grades of grit paper. I still need to drill out a a couple of holes, and polish a couple of parts further, but otherwise they are ready for fitting the the chassis. Don't expect that to be a quick process!! I'm likely to get side-tracked by the 'easier' bodywork......

IMG_4359.JPG.57ee14ff870630e1c80c18f756b3780f.JPG

When you put the chassis next to all the parts, it looks like it might be a bit of a squeeze. I have faith in my trusty CAD work though - it should all fit!

IMG_4362.JPG.898dbb59b93af0ec3ce8764c1fd65031.JPG

• Like 10
  • Craftsmanship/clever 5

Starting to build upwards now with the bunker. This is formed from one piece folded up, with the two end sections curved and soldered in the middle. The join is an overlapped half-etch, so it needs flooding with solder and then filing back to smooth. Inevitably, there's plenty of solder on show, which once painted you'll never know is there, but still..... In the final iteration of the etches, I might change the curved section to be a separate piece - it might just make things a bit neater. There is a half-etch strip around the top of the bunker where the bunker flare will be seated against. I don't want to put this on just yet, as I suspect it could be a bit susceptible to damage whilst construction is still ongoing. 

IMG_4392.JPG.8271a4f72e618c8817f8a2645f8c253e.JPG

IMG_4398.JPG.ac9f030716c4ba5029fe4df9fc913aa7.JPG

Also made a quick start on the firebox by soldering the trim around the backhead. Castings to be added later this week. Or maybe the wrapper first? Decisions.....

IMG_4402.JPG.1994dfd5adff2b36589d28e144d814b2.JPG

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 6

Watching with real anticiption.  There is room for the inside motion. There is room for a motor gearbox. There will be room for some type of current collection. Whether there is room for all three at the same time.......,...

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, doilum said:

Watching with real anticiption.  There is room for the inside motion. There is room for a motor gearbox. There will be room for some type of current collection. Whether there is room for all three at the same time.......,...

:laugh_mini: That's why I'm working on the body at the moment! The gearbox I think is going to have to be from scratch as I haven't managed to find anything that will fit the space, as well as accommodate the 3/16" axels. HighLevel's Hump Shunter fits the space, but not the axels. So if anyone knows a good source of suitably sized gears, please let me know! I've restricted myself with the size available for the gearbox by hiding it in an enclosed ashpan, but with the chassis frames being so skimpy, I really didn't want to see bits of gearbox through the sides.  I'll probably either etch or laser cut the framework for the gearbox for accuracy. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

It’s unfortunate the axles aren’t 1/8”. I have just recently reworked my old I along with a Hudswell Clarke and a newly made L to fit HL roadrunner+ 60-1’s to the 1630’s used. Previously they had home produced DR 80-1’s but the HL’s are totally silent, useful when installing sound…. Sadly it doesn’t appear there is the meat to bore the final drive gear for 3/16”. 

7 hours ago, Izzy said:

Sadly it doesn’t appear there is the meat to bore the final drive gear for 3/16”. 

Indeed not....that what what I was hoping for, but not so. The gears used in the HL box are 0.4MOD, which are available elsewhere with a 4mm bore, which would still need opening out a bit, but might be possible. This however would be for a 40T spur gear rather than the 20-something provided, and so would need the framework adapting. Not sure I would back myself to do that accurately enough to mesh well, without producing a new set of etches which I don't really want to spend the money on right now.