Manning Wardle Old Class i: a self-designed 'kit'

• RMweb Premium

All versions look good to me. The only point I’ll raise, please do forgive me, is that the crankpins somehow don’t quite look right, just big discs hiding some of the details. Perhaps it’s my eyesight. 

Bob

4 hours ago, Izzy said:

All versions look good to me. The only point I’ll raise, please do forgive me, is that the crankpins somehow don’t quite look right, just big discs hiding some of the details. Perhaps it’s my eyesight. 

Bob

Bob, you are quite right. I've always tapped the crankpin holes 10BA, screwed the screw from the back of the wheel and used a bush 'in reverse' to hold the coupling rod. That works on larger prototypes, but for something this small, I think the 12BA screw and nut with the bush the 'normal' way round would be better. Another thing to add to the V3 notes :-)

Keep the suggestions coming people - all taken constructively.

John

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Schooner said:

And I guess no more than 3' needed each end for buffing gear, so total length of the model <170mm...?

That is small, 0-4-0T territory...but perfect for me and my cassettes...! 

Thoughts loading :)

Total length of 153mm with buffers fully extended :-)

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

Your Manning Wardle is absolutely superb JDB82. Its a great model, made even better by the painting and weathering which really brings it to life. These beautiful engines were worked hard and got dirty, so need to be weathered.

Myrtle has been built in S Scale from the excellent 3D designed and printed parts and an etched chassis all produced by Timber. I need to add some dumb buffers like yours for the chaldron wagons. My lining is not the best (with a Rotring Pen and ink) but I have heavily weathered her. She now trundles the ironstone and potash from the Farndale mines into my layout, Blakey Rigg, and can easily pull 5 or 6 wagons. I'm delighted with her. She'll next be in action at the Normanton and Pontefract Show in late January.

DSC_1654.JPG

DSC_1656.JPG

DSC_1657.JPG

• Like 8

7 hours ago, Rosedale said:

Your Manning Wardle is absolutely superb JDB82. Its a great model, made even better by the painting and weathering which really brings it to life. These beautiful engines were worked hard and got dirty, so need to be weathered.

Myrtle has been built in S Scale from the excellent 3D designed and printed parts and an etched chassis all produced by Timber. I need to add some dumb buffers like yours for the chaldron wagons. My lining is not the best (with a Rotring Pen and ink) but I have heavily weathered her. She now trundles the ironstone and potash from the Farndale mines into my layout, Blakey Rigg, and can easily pull 5 or 6 wagons. I'm delighted with her. She'll next be in action at the Normanton and Pontefract Show in late January.

DSC_1654.JPG

DSC_1656.JPG

DSC_1657.JPG

Myrtle is brilliant! Looks like you've done a good job with the lining to me :-) I followed Timber’s development of this model with interest. I'm only in Barnsley so I'll try and get to the Pontefract show and say hello. I came last year and really enjoyed it.

Edited by jdb82
  • Like 1

• 3 months later...

Version 3 of the etches arrived the other day for the Old Class i. Is there anything more satisfying than a fresh set of un-tarnished etches? Just like fresh snow.....looks beautiful as it is untouched, but lots of fun to be had making pretty things from it :-)

There were not wholesale changes to be made here, just a couple of small things. I've been collecting various bits of kit over the last couple of years in order to make my own castings - all the way from 3D modelling, through printing, to finally investment casting. Very much looking forwards to the latter! I will also be attempting the inside motion once again, as well as refining the reliability of run-out on the wheels. May also try my hand at lining......

IMG_3553.jpg.363bcf5ccfa34dc2e9a67ade90b9ee62.jpg

IMG_3550.jpg.2b9f4dff6786a9a53364dbaa77561496.jpg

• Like 8
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2
  • Round of applause 3

On 27/11/2023 at 17:48, jdb82 said:

Total length of 153mm with buffers fully extended :-)

Thanks for that, sorry for tue glacial reaponse, and...uh oh, she would fit perfectly... :)

Needless to say, v much looking forward to watching V3 come together - godspeed!

Edited by Schooner
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Schooner said:

Needless to say, v much looking forward to watching V3 come together - godspeed!

Speed is not something I have been blessed with to date 😂

• Funny 1

Etch looks great - love the way you number everything....will you be casting in brass - I will be very keen to see the updates on casting as and when you get to that part of the build.

• Agree 1

12 hours ago, Timber said:

Etch looks great - love the way you number everything....will you be casting in brass - I will be very keen to see the updates on casting as and when you get to that part of the build.

Brass is the plan at the moment. The downside are the fumes it produces when molten, which would need extracting - whilst I'm sure I'll never be producing these in any volume, I don't want to be breathing them in! An option I want to explore is using silicone bronze - slightly more expensive than brass, but I need to experiment with it to see if solder will take to it. I'm hopeful it will as there's still a high copper content, but as of yet I've never tried. Apparently the fumes given off by silicone bronze are nowhere near as nasty (although I suspect still not good!).

• Like 3