KR models Shay

AMJ

Perhaps I could make  a request on this H0 extraveganza.It is for an Alco S6 switcher .Mainly used on the SP but lots of private roads and industries  bought them usewd .A tiger stripe finish and grey /scarlet and lots of lights.

put my name down for a shay .

On 27/07/2021 at 11:20, AMJ said:

For those who have not seen the Canadian KR Models website they have opened expressions of interest for various wagons and a 2 truck Shay loco.

banner-1-ca.jpg

https://www.krmodels.ca/

That’s a shame, I thought this was going to be a thread announcing that KR would do a model of the Bilston Shay, the only one of its type to work on U.K. tracks..

The Only Shay Geared Locomotive in Britain.

• Like 2

That’s a shame, I thought this was going to be a thread announcing that KR would do a model of the Bilston Shay, the only one of its type to work on U.K. tracks..

Didn't know about that one.  I have soft spot for unusual locos like the Shays. 

A joy to watch in motion on the rickety tracks of West Virginia, and I don't suppose the track was a lot better in a British steelworks.   The scenery would not have been as attractive though.

• Like 1

I had a thrash behind one at Roaring Camp in California the other year.  Just like our geared Sentinel locos more cylinder beats per revolution of the wheels.

1688259348_2018-11-24056.JPG.630741611f14e38cd526661763e41290.JPG

• Like 4

• 6 months later...
On 08/02/2022 at 21:45, GWR-fan said:

That "working" valve gear mechanism was once the bees knees when Bachmann released their 1/20.3 scale Shay around twenty years ago.  Amazing to see a working mechanism in a 1/87 scale model. 

I bought my first 'HO' Shay  in the late 1970s. Its a much smaller prototype than the KR Models or Bachmann Shays and has fully working drive mechanism. NorthWest Shoreline, Japanese-made brass. (CJL)

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

4 hours ago, dibber25 said:

I bought my first 'HO' Shay  in the late 1970s. Its a much smaller prototype than the KR Models or Bachmann Shays and has fully working drive mechanism. NorthWest Shoreline, Japanese-made brass. (CJL)

Over sixty years ago I recall as a child my face pressed up against the store's window as I drooled with envy the "HO" and "HOn3" brass Shay models on display.   Alas,  each model was then a multiple of an adult's weekly wage. 

3 hours ago, GWR-fan said:

Over sixty years ago I recall as a child my face pressed up against the store's window as I drooled with envy the "HO" and "HOn3" brass Shay models on display.   Alas,  each model was then a multiple of an adult's weekly wage. 

From memory the NWSL Shay cost me £36 in the late 1970s or early 1980s. I recall being chuffed that the postman left it without collecting the customs duty etc which would have added several more £ to the cost. (CJL)

NWSL Shay .JPG

• Like 4

On 16/02/2022 at 23:42, Les1952 said:

I was told at Doncaster show that the drive from the motor is to the gearing rather than to the wheels.

Interesting....

Still a little TOO much of a Rule 1 loco for NO PLACE...

Les

Model Shays are normally driven by a worm drive to the crankshaft and by the universal jointed drive-shafts to the gears on the wheel face. In other words as close as possible to the way the real thing drives. I've never seen a model with drive direct to the wheels so I certainly wouldn't expect it on the model which is illustrated - which is pretty big by Shay standards. (CJL)

Unless I'm mistaken, drive-to-crankshaft is how the (apparently variable) HO Bachmann Shay works, but the G-scale has motor bogies(?), and the old Roundhouse/MDC drove the bogies from a central motor to the centre of the axles, with external "drive shafts" to the gears on the wheels moving the pistons. Sometimes. :blink: Maybe a memory KR Models are trying to exorcise?