Inverting an Airfix Fowler 4F

Hallo peeps,

So I picked up a Fowler 4F el cheepo Airfix version, and I want to turn it into 4027, but the big issue is that the sandboxes and injector are each on the wrong side of the loco. Plus the Tender vents are in the wrong place.  Before I blunder in, does anyone have any experience converting one?  Can replacement parts be sourced? I would really like a better detailed injector as the stock one is rubbish.

Thankoo

Comet also do many of the parts.

https://www.wizardmodels.ltd/

Tender vents for example.

https://www.wizardmodels.ltd/shop/locomotive/ts11/

One thing that really does improve them is better footsteps.

https://www.wizardmodels.ltd/shop/locomotive/mt231/

Jason

Edited by Steamport Southport
  • Thanks 1

Yep. I forgot that SE Finecast do a 4F (or two as they do MR and LMS types). There's one about six foot away from me now.....

:laugh:

The website if anyone needs it with the current contact details.

http://www.sefinecast.co.uk/Contents.htm

http://www.squirestools.com/

Parts are also available from

247 Developments

PDK Models (mostly things like chimneys and domes from the kits)

Markits

Jason

Don't forget the lubricators, and reversing rod. Before the Bachmann, and Hornby loco drive versions came out, over the years, I converted 12 Airfix examples to loco drive using, what was then, Comet chassis kits, 4 of which were converted to rhd. 10 left now, 2 have since been sold on.:sungum:

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

And also you can convert the tender drive to have metal tyred wheels... use the loco drive Hornby tender axles and file the plastic wheel off the airfix gear wheel. Put that behind one side of the Hornby wheel and bob's your uncle!SAM_9622.JPG.eb9a51e3d4151377496522f2e58ab90d.JPG

SAM_9626.JPG.56f41351142765c716d395bb9b6cda8b.JPG

SAM_9627.JPG.023030888cc3437219ecef183005b4b7.JPG

Andy G

• Like 2
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

20 hours ago, Esmedune said:

Hallo peeps,

So I picked up a Fowler 4F el cheepo Airfix version, and I want to turn it into 4027, but the big issue is that the sandboxes and injector are each on the wrong side of the loco. Plus the Tender vents are in the wrong place.  Before I blunder in, does anyone have any experience converting one?  Can replacement parts be sourced? I would really like a better detailed injector as the stock one is rubbish.

Thankoo

Just a picky point - the title of your thread suggested to me that you were turning the 4F upside down!

I think that the word that you need is 'Transposing' - in this case, swapping left for right and vice versa.

CJI.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

If you took the original Lima version, you'd be OK, because it had 2 sets of reversing rods etc, because Lima made the mistake of not knowing that there were RHD & LHD versions!

Mind you it was a terrible model, so don't go there!

• Funny 2

4 hours ago, cctransuk said:

Just a picky point - the title of your thread suggested to me that you were turning the 4F upside down!

I think that the word that you need is 'Transposing' - in this case, swapping left for right and vice versa.

CJI.

Invert means to put in the opposite position, so it does work, if a bit general. But then again transpose means to interchange two things, so is equally none specific.

• Agree 1

6 hours ago, uax6 said:

And also you can convert the tender drive to have metal tyred wheels... use the loco drive Hornby tender axles

That's a fantastic idea, which wheels did you use, I measure the the Airfix ones as 15.6mm, and so few ebay ads give the size, just the Hornby part numbers?

16 hours ago, uax6 said:

The part number on the set I got from Peters spares is X6859.

Andy G

Yowch! Peters spares and £5 postage for 6 wheels!!! I got them for £12.99 and £1.99 postage. ;-)  Thanks for the tip!

• RMweb Premium

You are were I was 40 years ago! Here's my collection of Airfix 4Fs, each of which cost exactly £20 despite being bought at ten year intervals:

1098505159_AirfixLMSStandard4Fs.JPG.c5ff844afebd6095e8dee407377ee16d.JPG

In my youthful innocence I renumbered to the 1923-1928 livery style, not realising that 4041 was a RH drive engine. Then I had the idea of converting one to a Midland 4F but never got further than building an Alan Gibson tender - sows' ears and silk purses. Then I bought a third, because it was looking at me from a second-hand stall with a sorrowful look and a £20 sticker. Then along came the Bachman Midland version, of which I have two - with the different tenders - and have never looked back.

So as well as illustrating my incapacity to complete projects, it also indicates my increasing awareness of the prototype.

Aren't those splashers huge?

• Like 1

On 30/07/2021 at 22:23, Compound2632 said:

Aren't those splashers huge?

It's funny isn't it? They are huge and yet I don't remember a single mention of the fact in the modelling press at the time. there were numerous articles on improving and detailing the loco's. but no mention of this that I remember seeing. Judith Edge Kits makes a neat little etch of replacement splashers by the way.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
14 minutes ago, Barclay said:

It's funny isn't it? They are huge and yet I don't remember a single mention of the fact in the modelling press at the time. there were numerous articles on improving and detailing the loco's. but no mention of this that I remember seeing. Judith Edge Kits makes a neat little etch of replacement splashers by the way.

Elephant on the footplate.

I didn't know about the Judith Edge splasher etch - Brassmasters do such an etch too.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Compound2632 said:

Elephant on the footplate.

I didn't know about the Judith Edge splasher etch - Brassmasters do such an etch too.

Sorry my mistake - the one I have is Brassmasters too!

• Informative/Useful 1