Baldwin 4-6-0 on the Glyn Valley in 7mm / 0-16.5; any ideas?

sej

In the absence of the Wrightlines Baldwin kit, has anyone had a go at modifying the Bachmann On-30 Trench loco, a 2-6-2t, into a 4-6-0t. Or does anyone have any ideas about how it might be done? It looks feasible, but might be a bit expensive! Especially as I can't find a drawing for the 2-6-2t.

Cheers

Simon

Thanks for the replies, I've done a little research on the chassis via Mike (49395) who produced a very nice etch although he's run out of them, and I hadn't thought of Branchlines, I'll ask for their catalogue. I was wondering if the Bachmann chassis could be tinkered with?

Cheers

Simon

• RMweb Premium

I answered part of Simon's question about drawings on the Gauge O Guild Forum last night but at that time, I hadn't seen this on RMweb. 

There is a drawing of the Baldwin Class 10 2-6-2T loco in the book Narrow Gauge to No Man's Land by Richard Dunn drawn at a scale of 3/8inch:1ft

The 7mm Narrow Gauge Association may also have what you need. They have published numerous books in the Narrowlines Extras series, containing 7mm 1:43 scale drawings as shown in the link below.
Click Here for Link to 7mmNGA

I found the following in the publications list (but as I do not have the books, I cannot say if some are duplicated drawings in more than one publication.

NLE2 Ashover Ex WD Baldwin 4-6-0T

NLE4 US Army Baldwin 2-6-2T

NLE5 Baldwin 590 4-6-0T

NLE7 US Army Baldwin 2-6-2T

There is also information in the RCL Publications book WDLR Album - many photos and drawings by the late Roy Link of the WDLR Baldwin 4-6-0T loco.
Click Here for Link to RCL Publications

There are similar drawings of the Ashover locos also by Roy Link in the Wild Swan book of the Ashover Railway by Gratton and Band.

I have no idea how accurate the Bachmann model is, but in looking at a conversion, you will have to bear in mind that the On30 loco is 1:48 scale and so in theory should be smaller than the true 7mm 1:43 equivalent.

I hope the above is helpful and I look forward to seeing the end result !!

Mike

• Like 1

1 hour ago, KeithHC said:

There are also drawings by the 7mm narrow gauge society of the Ffestiniog alco Mountaineer but in it’s much rebuilt form.

Keith

Unfortunately, just about the only things the ALCo and Baldwin had in common were the wheel arrangement and gauge.  However Davenport made a batch (too late to go to Europe in WW1) which were near identical to the Baldwins and one of the surviving trio has just been restored to working order in California.  I can thoroughly endorse Mike's comments re Roy's WDLR Album and its sequel.

Ray.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

I can thoroughly endorse Mike's comments re Roy's WDLR Album and its sequel.

I bought my copy from Roy at Expong Swanley. By coincidence, I found the second book (The Companion) in an Oxfam Charity book shop on holiday two weeks ago - at £9.99 it had to be a bargain . . . . !!

• Like 2

Hi, I have built many 16mm scale models of these locomotives and can only echo the information above on sources of information although I have additionally a photocopy of the  Baldwin G A drawing and many photographs of the WD prototypes at  various stages of restoration.

gvtmodelpaint.jpg.60a35b2f84c3b2de113e15a8312c4275.jpg

Apologies for the poor quality picture.  This is a photo of the GVT Baldwin that I made 30 years ago for the late Eric LLoyd a real enthusiast of the GVT. It still works well and is radio controlled,

live steam.

The best model available today (my opinion) is the Bachmann 009 GVT model.  I bought one, it is quite superb and runs silently and looks very good on code 40 track.  Valve gear not too overscale and the livery lining is not too in your face. (note I have no connection to the company)  Rather than O gauge why not model part of the GVT in 4mm and get some of the delightful landscape of the Welsh borderland. I do not think the Bachmann On30 model would be worth looking at.  I am sure in the last few years I noticed some one was making available an etch chassis in 7mm scale, wheels are probably a problem.  You will notice on my model the hand made blind spoke wheels needed for the bogie.  I am sure some has done a body for the loco, have you looked through Shapeways.

In 16mm things are easier the frames are laser cut 1/8 thick steel, all the other parts are etched NS or casting made from my patterns.  Interestingly the valve gear on the model was a scale copy from the works drawing rather than designed for the model.  It worked (very well) when put together.  Such a  surprise that I nearly lost two finger tips when it first ran . Never have hand on moving machinery. I will not hold the chassis in one hand again in a hurry.  luckily the air line was only at 20psi so it was blood everywhere rather than amputation!

• Like 3

Thanks Mr Wright, I'll keep the finger tip advice to mind! I want the model to be 0-16.5 to complement my other O gauge modelling intererests so, unless a Wrightlines kit (no relation by any chance?) comes along, I think I'll scratch-build my Baldwin. A problem would be the domes, my lathe skills are rudimentary at best.

Your model looks great, they really are lovely little locomotives!

Cheers

Simon

Edited by sej
misspelling!
  • Like 2