Dapol Imperium 4 6-pin Decoder - comments?

alphonsus

Hi,

Having just acquired a Dapol ND-114D Class 153 Northern Rail and the matching ND-112A Class 156 (they're exquisite, BTW, from someone who has ridden on them regularly), I now need to fit decoders to them. The Imperium4 decoder would seem like a logical choice, but the instruction sheets provided don't mention it on the approved/tested decoders list.

I'm guessing it was a more recent release and therefore wouldn't be, but I can't find any references online to compatibility.

Can anyone advise, please?

People always have their "go-to" decoders, mine are Lenz for non-sound.

However, I do from time to time try other makes. Recently, I have tried thre latest offerings from DCCConcepts & they went back for a refund.

I had good results from a Dapol Imperium but found it took more time to set up than a Lenz Silver.

I also had good results from the Gaugemaster Ruby Range.

• Informative/Useful 1

1 hour ago, alphonsus said:

Hi Nigelcliffe,

The Zimo chip has a lower current capacity (0.8/1.0A max) than the Dapol one (1.0/1.5A max). Could that be a problem if either were pulling a dummy 156?

Best wishes,

Paul

No.   If any N gauge loco gets near 0.5A you'll be seeing blue smoke just before the loco dies.    

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

Just to echo what Nigel said. Use a Zimo MX617N. I have one fitted in a 156 and it runs around with a dummy unit.

And for what it's worth I wouldn't buy a Dapol loco with a pre-fitted Imperium decoder, I prefer to fit Zimo in my loco's.

Regards,

John P

1 hour ago, jpendle said:

And for what it's worth I wouldn't buy a Dapol loco with a pre-fitted Imperium decoder, I prefer to fit Zimo in my loco's.

My position exactly, unless I can buy a pre-installed Zimo or ESU, I'd rather fit my own Zimo or ESU. 

Firstly, they work very well, and secondly  it makes my life easier to have commonality of CVs etc.

My experience with second (or third tier) decoders has not filled me with joy.

• RMweb Gold
23 hours ago, alphonsus said:

Hi Nigelcliffe,

The Zimo chip has a lower current capacity (0.8/1.0A max) than the Dapol one (1.0/1.5A max). Could that be a problem if either were pulling a dummy 156?

Best wishes,

Paul

If it it’s any guide, I have Zimo 617Ns in both two Hattons “P” class 0-6-0Ts and a Bachmann E4 0-6-2T which, for a couple of years now,  have regularly lugged around train weights well in excess of an unpowered DMU with no problems whatsoever.

11 hours ago, Esmedune said:

I am going with the Dapol one, as I already have one loom of cables , I don't want to be adding another. I have already tried it with a right angle one, I have now ordered the straight one for fitting.

What model are you referring to?

The Dapol N Gauge CL153/CL156 have 6 pin sockets, no wiring needed.

Regards,

John P

33 minutes ago, jpendle said:

What model are you referring to?

The Dapol N Gauge CL153/CL156 have 6 pin sockets, no wiring needed.

Regards,

John P

Sorry John, that was obtuse of me. I was saying that I would not use the Zimo one as it has a wiring loom. I had tried the Bachman 36-556RA E-Z Command 90° 6 Pin DCC Decoder, but the right angled pins made it not fit, so I have ordered the Dapol IMPERIUM4 6 Pin 2 Function DCC Decoder.

21 minutes ago, Esmedune said:

Sorry John, that was obtuse of me. I was saying that I would not use the Zimo one as it has a wiring loom. ....

There lots of Zimo combinations available.  MX617N is what you need, as per the first reply in the thread: 6 pins on the end of the decoder, not a wire in sight.    There are other options available with wires on them, to fit different situations.  

Edited by Nigelcliffe