consisting class 20s on the NEC Power cab

anthony allen

I have an older variant of the Bachmann class 20/9 and also the new model 20/3 both sound fitted.

I have been able to consist them in the usual way on the NEC and I have tried to set the CV speed steps 2, 5, 6 to the same settings however one is still much quicker through the speed steps than the other and therefore I don't want to regularly run them in that form.

Is anybody able to suggest the correct or alternative CVs to set in order that both engines operate at similar speed steps to aid consisting?

Many thanks for anyone who can respond

tony

30 minutes ago, anthony allen said:

I have an older variant of the Bachmann class 20/9 and also the new model 20/3 both sound fitted.

I have been able to consist them in the usual way on the NEC and I have tried to set the CV speed steps 2, 5, 6 to the same settings however one is still much quicker through the speed steps than the other and therefore I don't want to regularly run them in that form.

Is anybody able to suggest the correct or alternative CVs to set in order that both engines operate at similar speed steps to aid consisting?

Many thanks for anyone who can respond

tony

Why would you want to set Speed Steps?

Do you perhaps mean CV2 starting setting and CV 5 & 6, the top voltage/Speed and the mid point speed?

Dave.

Dave

hi

I do mean CVs 2 5 and 6 yes

at present the two locos have very different speeds

the new 20/3 can be upto speed step 14 to be moving slowly if I had the 20/9 on that speed it would beat the bullet train!

I would like to know if and how its possible that they Accelerate and decelerate at the same speed so I can consist them

Kindest regards

• RMweb Premium

Use one of the locos as the "standard" and change CVs 2, 5 & 6 on the second, although to get a good match across all speed steps you may find you need to switch to using the complex speed curve.

Given both your decoders are sound enabled, the acceleration (CV3) and deceleration (CV4) rates may also need to be modified.

Steven B

• Like 1

If these are factory sound fitted models, the earlier one will have an ESU decoder and the recent release a ZIMO.

If so, its likely that your problem arises from the different multipliers used in CVs 3 and 4. ESU Loksound use there own rate, ZIMO use the more widely used factor recommended by the NMRA (also now used in the US version of Loksound, but not here).

This results in a quicker acceleration and deceleration for the ESU for a given value in either of these CVs than all other decoder types sold in the UK, so their acceleration and deceleration rates will be different to the ZIMO if you use the same values in CVs 3 and 4 for each decoder.

To convert the ESU multiplier to that which everyone else uses there is a ratio of approx 2.5 to 1. So, to match the acceleration of the ZIMO with, say, CV3 = 40 you will need to change the corresponding value in ESU to around 100.

You will also need to ensure that any start delay* duration set is of equal length. On the ZIMO this is adjusted with CV 273. I don't know what the equivalent CV is with ESU or even if a start delay has been programmed.

*Start delay is a short period between opening the throttle and the engine sound ramping up in conjunction with the model moving. This is to allow time for any pre-movement sounds (start whistle, air brake release) which are included in the project to finish playing before the locco moves off.

Best regards,

Paul