2mm/N Gauge bus and lorry decals - registrations and logos etc?

Royal42

• RMweb Gold

I am constructing a 1950's Birmingham diorama that includes multiples of buses in the same livery and these would need different registrations and route details.  The bus model is an Oxford N Gauge Guy Arab, Birmingham double decker and there will be about six in my diorama.  There will also be various trucks, such as BRS or the like.

Can anyone please advise me of a source for any transfers for these?

cheers,
Mike

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

DIY transfers is probably the best option. Available from the likes of Crafty Computer Paper you'd be able to print your own routes and registration plates. Don't forget to vary any adverts on the sides of the buses too.

Steven B.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi Steven,

I have plenty of waterslide decal papers, I was just being a little lazy in hoping there was a supplier.

Best I start googling traffic in Birmingham in the 1950s and in colour.

cheers,

Mike

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

There used to be bus/coach decals available through the N gauge society shop. They were produced under the Modelmaster name. With all the changes that have occurred in recent times I don't know if any are still made/available as I'm no longer a member.

I have since made my own as sugested using inkjet decal paper, the white type so that reversed white letters on a black background can be done - number plates, destination blinds etc. I found a file/image resolution of at least 1200dpi was needed to obtain decent and legible output.

• RMweb Premium
On 28/07/2021 at 19:57, Izzy said:

There used to be bus/coach decals available through the N gauge society shop. They were produced under the Modelmaster name. With all the changes that have occurred in recent times I don't know if any are still made/available as I'm no longer a member.

I have since made my own as sugested using inkjet decal paper, the white type so that reversed white letters on a black background can be done - number plates, destination blinds etc. I found a file/image resolution of at least 1200dpi was needed to obtain decent and legible output.

The decals are still available through the NGS but there has been a bit of a backlog clearing orders due to the member doing them having health issues. They have been transferred (no pun intended ) to someone else to get the orders out.

Edited by acg5324
Typo

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Izzy and acg,  I shall check them out next time I log in to NGS.   1200dpi sounds to be a good resolution for scanning, should I resort to that.

cheers,
Mike

• RMweb Premium
8 minutes ago, Royal42 said:

Thanks Izzy and acg,  I shall check them out next time I log in to NGS.   1200dpi sounds to be a good resolution for scanning, should I resort to that.

cheers,
Mike

Sorry, not initial scanning resolution, rather the final output file size for printing, whatever size it is, needs to have that basic resolution. It also needs printing out at the highest resolution the printer provides in respect of quality. So I print number plates and such onto gloss photo paper because the definition is better at this scale - 2mm - and then using a scalpel ‘lift’ the top surface, the coating that the ink adheres to, off the paper backing to leave just this top layer, which is then as thin as transfer sheet.

• Thanks 1

Hi Mike as Izzy has said the Ngs do have some decals but at the last info from the ngs shop they are still being sorted.

Have a word with Jo at Steadfast he makes decals weather he is able to produce some on request it may be worth a shout.

If youare following 3d printing you will find he has just done some to fit Osbornes Skania Truck .(very nice too)

Mabex did do some bus decals but I havnt seen them around for a while.

Regards Ray.

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, Trewisin said:

Hi Mike as Izzy has said the Ngs do have some decals but at the last info from the ngs shop they are still being sorted.

Have a word with Jo at Steadfast he makes decals weather he is able to produce some on request it may be worth a shout.

If youare following 3d printing you will find he has just done some to fit Osbornes Skania Truck .(very nice too)

Mabex did do some bus decals but I havnt seen them around for a while.

Regards Ray.

Mabex still exist….the decals have passed through several owners……

https://www.ukmodelshops.co.uk/suppliers/40379-MabexProducts

Still need an SAE for a catalogue.

• Agree 1