Wagon Door Bangers 00 scale

9 minutes ago, spikey said:

OK ... I'll be first.  What is a door banger?

They are people who bang the doors to see if they are there!  :jester:  :jester:  :jester: 

Sorry, I couldn't resist. In reality, they are usually metal bars that are mounted from the solebars and stop the wagon doors from dropping and swinging too far, cushioning them as they hit the end of the travel - not good for the doors if they hit something hard and unforgiving. They often have a slightly cranked shape. Many plastic kits that have them tend to use plastic for the bangers too, which makes them rather over-thick.

The Cambrian Kits 'Sturgeon A' I built around six years ago illustrates them clearly, with pairs of bangers under each of the seven doors on each side. The half-hoops on the doors themselves also act to cushion the end of travel in this case.

459494307_CambrianKitsSturgeonADoorSpringsFittedtoOneSide.jpg.ffe88e96c39d3852ecb7c0a6b5767dca.jpg

Edited by SRman
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Depending on your scale and how many you need, if you have any of the thin “spare” brass from around etched components, this could be used to make your own. The thickness would be quite acceptable and easy to cut and bend to shape.

• Agree 2

1 hour ago, SRman said:

They are people who bang the doors to see if they are there!  :jester:  :jester:  :jester: 

Sorry, I couldn't resist. In reality, they are usually metal bars that are mounted from the solebars and stop the wagon doors from dropping and swinging too far, cushioning them as they hit the end of the travel - not good for the doors if they hit something hard and unforgiving. They often have a slightly cranked shape. Many plastic kits that have them tend to use plastic for the bangers too, which makes them rather over-thick.

The Cambrian Kits 'Sturgeon A' I built around six years ago illustrates them clearly, with pairs of bangers under each of the seven doors on each side. The half-hoops on the doors themselves also act to cushion the end of travel in this case.

459494307_CambrianKitsSturgeonADoorSpringsFittedtoOneSide.jpg.ffe88e96c39d3852ecb7c0a6b5767dca.jpg

On earlier wagons they were also intended to protect brake gear from being struck by the wagon door?

• Like 1

Originally the doors were just left to fall down. Generally there was only a brake (if at all) on one side, acting on one wheel through a long lever, so no problem there. It was only with the arrival of braking on both axles with a V hanger that any problem arose. Fed up with replacing planks damaged by hitting the V hanger, metal plates were attached to the doors to protect them. This was found insufficient and it was necessary to provide some sort of buffer to prevent damage. Initially one or more blocks of wood were fitted to the solebars. These were later replaced with an iron strip.

I have made them from cardboard, but now use a strip of phosphor bronze.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, Railways Forever said:

Does anyone know who produces etched brass 00 scale door bangers

Thanks

There's a nice little etch of them made by Masokits if you can get hold of them - item 3.07 on the catalogue linked here:

https://traders.scalefour.org/masokits/

But I usually make my own from 1mm brass strip.  The real ones vary in how they're attached to the solebar, but on a model they can be made stronger by making a hole in the solebar and passing the end of the strip through it; they can then be glued to the inside, or underneath the floor.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Rumney Models B109 Grampus detailing fret gives a few different sizes of door bangers/springs.

See this page:

http://website.rumneymodels.co.uk/wagon-detailing

What you get for your money: The etch can be seen on the attached instructions.

Usual disclaimer.B109_Grampus_Detailing_Instructions.pdf

• Informative/Useful 2