Sonic Models next N gauge model - LNER J50

TomE

• RMweb Gold

Set your reminders! 

“I can confirm that Sonic's next model will be unveiled on Sunday August 1st at 1400 on Rails' website, with EP samples already in the UK and being assessed, and decorated samples expected fairly quickly.”

Now announced as the LNER J50:

Info HERE

Order HERE

Tom. 

Edited by TomE
  • Like 6

• RMweb Premium

Please not anything else for the relatively oversupplied GWR or LMS!

Good to know, however, that the next model is at an advanced stage of design. If this new one turns out to be of no interest (to me) then hopefully there won’t be quite as long to wait for the announcement of their third model.

On which point it’s good to see how well the 56xx has sold, going by the announcements on the Rails website. Proves the existence of a market for N steam through votes with hard cash. 

Anyway, fingers crossed…

Richard

Edited by RichardT
Clarity

• RMweb Premium
33 minutes ago, steve1023 said:

BoB/WC Rebuilt. 

Whilst this would be lovely, I am sure that I remember it said that the next model would not contain complex valve gear. 

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, Chris M said:

Please be a GWR mogul, or failing that a large prairie.

The mogul would be a great shout and whilst the existing large prairie is very long and in need of replacement the fact it already exists would make me far keener to see the mogul.

• RMweb Gold

Not really true in BR days — yes, the N7 appeared on GN services as well as GE, but there were N2s based at Parkhead. When they were displaced, one found its way to the Alston branch — don't think any N7s got to that part of the country.

Whatever it is, though, there's clearly a need for an LNER tank in N…

• Like 2

2 hours ago, D9020 Nimbus said:

Not really true in BR days — yes, the N7 appeared on GN services as well as GE, but there were N2s based at Parkhead. When they were displaced, one found its way to the Alston branch — don't think any N7s got to that part of the country.

Whatever it is, though, there's clearly a need for an LNER tank in N…

The N7 were used (in larger number than the N2) in both the West Riding and GCR areas in addition to places such as Lincoln. The N7 didn't get to Scotland but I think they only got 16 N2 anyway.

11 hours ago, davebem said:

Are we certain it's a loco? I was thinking maybe something along the lines of the vea van they did.  A good vaa, vba, vca or vda is missing in n.....

No we are not certain. I do remember that Sonic announced that another loco was being developed and was on the way to being released. However this would only be revealed after the 56xx was delivered.

So circumstantial evidence :-)

es grüßt

pc 

11 hours ago, davebem said:

Are we certain it's a loco? I was thinking maybe something along the lines of the vea van they did.  A good vaa, vba, vca or vda is missing in n.....

Yes, and a steam one - on the n gauge forum Ben A from Revolution said (quote - emphasis mine):

"Sonic's second powered model in N is fully tooled and samples are undergoing testing.  This model is being unveiled at the weekend.  The choice of the model was down to Sam and Colin Allbright, who many will know, and while I am not really a steam enthusiast I think it is a great choice and a great looking model."

1 hour ago, Chris M said:

If Its great looking then it isn't an N7!

I'd have thought that if it's great looking then it wouldn't be a steam loco . . . . (although I understand it is).

;-)

• Funny 2

On 31/07/2021 at 07:32, Chris M said:

If Its great looking then it isn't an N7!

At least its not GW, they all look the awful same - give me a shiny smoke box ring and a Westinghouse pump over Brunswick green and bling brass.

In my loo I have three photos of the N7 and a photo of the last down broad gauge Cornishman at Paddington, the latter behind the door - as it should be.

RevolutioN is neither Sonic nor Rails, so why is there a thread about a new Sonic N gauge locomotive in the RevolutioN forum.

Revolution introduced Sonic, but it has since aligned itself more with Rails and it is Rails who will be doing the announcing.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Not long until we find out now, my final thought on what I feel most likely (rather than what I would like) is a mixed traffic loco of some kind which covered a decent amount of the UK network so has universal appeal. Almost certainly an example preserved somewhere I would think to widen appeal to "modern image" modellers. 

Would Sam play safe having no external valve-gear? I can't see why he would if he was responsible for the Farish Duchess.

I wouldn't necessarily rule out a tender loco personally. I would prefer it to be a non-GW prototype as we have already had one, but I do keep coming back to the GW Mogul....

Roy

• RMweb Gold
53 minutes ago, woodenhead said:

RevolutioN is neither Sonic nor Rails, so why is there a thread about a new Sonic N gauge locomotive in the RevolutioN forum.

Revolution introduced Sonic, but it has since aligned itself more with Rails and it is Rails who will be doing the announcing.

Revolution still have some involvement and so here seemed like the most appropriate place given rails are just distributors. 

Maybe a Sonic Models section will appear on the forum eventually. 

Tom. 

• Like 1