Sonic Models next N gauge model - LNER J50

TomE

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, woodenhead said:

RevolutioN is neither Sonic nor Rails, so why is there a thread about a new Sonic N gauge locomotive in the RevolutioN forum.

Revolution introduced Sonic, but it has since aligned itself more with Rails and it is Rails who will be doing the announcing.

From the press release supplied by Tom, above:

"The model is being developed by Sonic Models in conjunction with Revolution Trains."

Best

Scott.

Edited by scottystitch

• TomE changed the title to Sonic Models next N gauge model - LNER J50
  • RMweb Gold

Hi all,

Just for clarity, Revolution has helped Sonic (Sam) get established because we could see that a Chinese manufacturer supplying the British market was always an inevitability, we liked Sam and we thought this was A Good Thing.

As a retailer Rails have stepped up and supported Sam where it counts:  with a committment to ordering the models he wants to produce in exchange for exclusivity.

Revolution will continue to assist Sam where we can (for example with painting diagrams, some research etc) but Sonic is a stand-alone brand and has lots more exciting plans in both N and 00.

However, now Sam is more established our involvement will, as was always intended, start to lessen.

cheers

Ben A.

• Like 6
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Very happy with that choice. If it wasn't going to be an N2 then the J50 suits me fine. Cross London freight to the SR South Eastern Region; the only problem is do I now proceed with building the Beaver J52 kit that I purchased a short while ago for just this purpose? :(

Mind you could have been worse! I pondered a 3D J50 last year so I probably would have just completed it now LOL

Edited by Haddocksrock
Additional info
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I've just banged in my pre-order for one. Since there are non preserved the choice was based purely on levels of prettiness, so a Lined LNER example it is!

Tom. 

• Like 2

Well my days, who would have believed it, an LNER tank loco at long last :D

I have often thought what an excellent choice a J50 would be, so needless to say I have immediately pre-ordered two, whether I can resist another one or two in due course I wouldn't care to predict. 

A circa Q2 2022 delivery so not a huge amount of time to wait either.

Great news!!!

Roy

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

An interesting choice but not something from my chosen modelling location so I can’t justify a purchase. However I do hope that it is a very successful model that encourages more in the future. 

4 minutes ago, Kris said:

An interesting choice but not something from my chosen modelling location so I can’t justify a purchase. However I do hope that it is a very successful model that encourages more in the future. 

It was a real stretch for me to justify 56xxs but I wanted to support Sonic so put together a plausible back-story, but in truth they are really more "Rule 1" locos, albeit I am glad I bought them they are lovely models.

The J50 especially in the lined LNER liveries is such a pretty little loco that I am sure a good number will find their way onto people's layouts as a "Rule 1" too. 

Roy

• RMweb Premium
28 minutes ago, Roy L S said:

It was a real stretch for me to justify 56xxs but I wanted to support Sonic so put together a plausible back-story, but in truth they are really more "Rule 1" locos, albeit I am glad I bought them they are lovely models.

The J50 especially in the lined LNER liveries is such a pretty little loco that I am sure a good number will find their way onto people's layouts as a "Rule 1" too. 

Roy

The 56xx is a stretch for me as well but I wanted to support Sonic as well. The J50 would be a real “Rule1” purchase but money is tight so any magpie tendencies need controlling. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

As I mentioned on another thread, something LNER would be good & it is!  Just need to work out which ones for CF. I expect these will be a straightforward 2mm conversion compared to recent Farish offerings. 

Tim

• Like 1

Great announcement! I'll order one or two.

Shunting locos were invariably black, but I can't help wonder whether any J50s ever appeared in green as a depot pet, station pilot etc? I don't claim to be particularly informed, but the photo of 8891 here: https://www.lner.info/locos/J/j50j51.php does seem to suggest a lighter colour? 

Or were all those Lima models in green that I coveted as a kid entirely fictitious?

On 01/08/2021 at 17:50, justin1985 said:

Great announcement! I'll order one or two.

Shunting locos were invariably black, but I can't help wonder whether any J50s ever appeared in green as a depot pet, station pilot etc? I don't claim to be particularly informed, but the photo of 8891 here: https://www.lner.info/locos/J/j50j51.php does seem to suggest a lighter colour? 

Or were all those Lima models in green that I coveted as a kid entirely fictitious?

According to the RCTS book on LNER Locos, 8891 WAS painted in lined apple green livery in November 1946, but no others were similarly treated, and 8891 eventually reverted to black livery. However, the first 10 J50's, built by the GNR in 1922, were painted in GNR green  grey livery, so would have survived a few years into the LNER period thus adorned.  The first LNER livery was lined black, although the lining was dropped in 1928.

Edited because I have just bought the final book in the RCTS series, Corrections and Additions, and noticed a note that said that the GNR green livery was not applied.

Edited by Nick Holliday
Incorrect info on initial GNR livery
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 6

2 hours ago, D9020 Nimbus said:

The decorated station pilots seem to have been either J69s, N7s or J72s. There might have been a J83 up in Scotland… The trend seems to have been confined to the ex-LNER, and to pre-grouping types.

There were some Malachite Green M7's after WW2 until the early 50's at Waterloo for empty stock working.

I always wonder why the LBSCR liveried Brighton Works Terrier wasn't claimed by Victoria or Brighton stations as a pilot when it was released into general traffic after the works closed. Lack of tractive effort or suitable duties perhaps? 

(Their loss was St Paul's (SR London terminus) gain! :D)

• RMweb Premium
On 03/08/2021 at 09:19, Nick Holliday said:

According to the RCTS book on LNER Locos, 8891 WAS painted in lined apple green livery in November 1946, but no others were similarly treated, and 8891 eventually reverted to black livery. However, the first 10 J50's, built by the GNR in 1922, were painted in GNR green  grey livery, so would have survived a few years into the LNER period thus adorned.  The first LNER livery was lined black, although the lining was dropped in 1928.

Edited because I have just bought the final book in the RCTS series, Corrections and Additions, and noticed a note that said that the GNR green livery was not applied.

I did wonder about the GN green…

Tim

Would I be correct in stating this is the ONLY British N outline steam new tooling on the radar at the moment or have I missed something from someone? 

LNER/Eastern Region isn't my area but I have ordered and will run it as a fictitious preservation item and to support Sonic as the 56XX is very good indeed and I'm sure the J50 is going to be equally good.

Edited by Bending01
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I think you are correct. 

Farish have their sound upgraded 5MT at EP stage (according to the latest Bachmann Times). Dapol have the upgraded M7 chassis, but there is no new tool steam on the horizon from Dapol until they pull the West Country/BoB out of abeyance. 

Tom. 

Edited by TomE