EMU AWS

Evertrainz

Hi all,

does anyone know the type of AWS equipment fitted to first gen. AC emus? Namely, the 304 and 305. I am aware that the latter might have had its original 1960s equipment replaced with more modern standard types upon refurbishment, but the 304s had no such extensive refurbishment.

Any ex-304 drivers able to comment on the location of the AWS horn and bell in the cab, or whether they were standard (sounded any different?). There is a video on YouTube of a 304 cab ride from Wolverhampton to Walsall and the AWS horn is bloody loud, the most jarring I have ever heard! Whereas cab rides of other EMUs don’t have nearly as loud of a warning horn. 

Are there any documents/archives that show the interior of a class 304 in detail? There are photos that show the cab driver desk but I’m more in search of the backhead and ceiling/entry walkway. I do realize that there was a group trying to preserve 304(021 I believe) in the late 90s but vandalising ruined it. Maybe a member of that effort might be worth contacting, but not sure whom. 

On another note, anyone know if the “Cab views 10” DVD has more footage of 304 cab rides? 

Best,

Ron

• Like 1