Hornby X8966 (and similar) Motor Speed

Hi all,

I'm planning on using a Hornby X8966 motor (off a newish Smokey Joe) in an upcoming project, simply to save costs as I have a spare in stock, and am planning on mating it to a proper gearbox in order to tame it somewhat. Does anyone happen to know (roughly) how fast they spin, so that I can plan gear ratios etc.? Some concerted Googling hasn't thrown up any results (or if it did I totally missed them!)

Many thanks

I would work backwards from the speed Smokey Joe does at a nice cruising speed  and calculate the gearing from Smokey's gearing.  I guess its 20:1 so 60:1 should be ball park.  My Wrenn 08 has 60:1 gearing with the slow revving ring field motor and as a result goes everywhere flat out, around a scale 25/30 very similar to the Bachmann Gronk. It's no big deal but I wouldn't like to gear an X8966 motor to run at peak revs at scale max speed.  I would be careful to ensure the Hornby X8966 motor can be easily changed as these are throwaway short life motors with no spares such as brushes available.  Computer motors from CD tray drives are a much better solution.