Heljan’s DRS Class 33029

DevilsAdvocate

Hi Guys

i have just purchased the above loco, and where as I think it’s a great model and am very pleased with it, it is a much paler shade of DRS blue than it’s sister locomotives from Bachmann

Could it be possible, that Heljan have got this colour wrong ? 
All pictures / photo’s I have come across, show this loco in the normal darker DRS blue coating.

I can only think that the manufacturer surely couldn’t have made this error, and the loco actually carried this lighter livery at some point of it’s short career with DRS

Any opinions / thoughts or even photos would be most welcome.

Regards

John

• Agree 2

Nope Heljan have got the shade wrong, its too light, they made the same mistake with RAILS 33025 and 33030.  Ironically I also have Heljan 33207 from a number of years ago and that shade of DRS Blue is correct and clashes with my 33025, 33029 and 33030 when I have them all together

• Agree 2

Thanks Dave for your reply

How and why have Heljan managed to paint a batch of loco's the wrong colour, it looks ridiculous when surrounded by other DRS examples

I like the loco, the detail and running is superb, but i'm going to have to repaint the blue on it, it looks daft.

I was considering the two Intermodel examples, but i'm not now. No doubt they're incorrect also.

Cheers

John

Edited by DevilsAdvocate
Spelling mistake

• RMweb Gold
41 minutes ago, DevilsAdvocate said:

How and why have Heljan managed to paint a batch of loco's the wrong colour, it looks ridiculous when surrounded by other DRS examples

I like the loco, the detail and running is superb, but i'm going to have to repaint the blue on it, it looks daft.

I was considering the two Intermodel examples, but i'm not now. No doubt they're incorrect also.

Cheers

John

I have been though my two DRS loco books  and put the photos next to the model and the blue on the model is certainly a little odd.

I think Heljan needs to have a look at this...I've just bought sound etc for mine but may not fit it!

Chris

Edited by Gilbert

42 minutes ago, DevilsAdvocate said:

I was considering the two Intermodal examples, but I'm not now. No doubt they're incorrect also.

If you are referring to the pack produced as a limited edition for Rails of Sheffield, they are wrong as well according to this thread.  Interestingly, the blue in the 'first announcement' shots looks closer to correct than the blue in the 'now in stock' photograph.  I can't comment personally as I didn't buy these.

This is amazing to me

How has a major manufacturer in the model railway business managed to keep getting this wrong ?

It isn’t even a close match, it’s miles out 

Whats more I can’t believe I’ve bought one !

I have already enquired to Rainbow Railways and Fox transfers with regards to replacement decals for it

There’s  no way I’m keeping the loco in this livery. It looks ridiculous along side the other 12 DRS loco’s I have on my layout

i shall respray the blue into its correct shade. 

Come on Heljan, get you’re act together !

5 hours ago, DevilsAdvocate said:

This is amazing to me

How has a major manufacturer in the model railway business managed to keep getting this wrong ?

It isn’t even a close match, it’s miles out 

Whats more I can’t believe I’ve bought one !

I have already enquired to Rainbow Railways and Fox transfers with regards to replacement decals for it

There’s  no way I’m keeping the loco in this livery. It looks ridiculous along side the other 12 DRS loco’s I have on my layout

i shall respray the blue into its correct shade. 

Come on Heljan, get you’re act together !

Just the same as the manufacturer who has just released a DRS 20 with the logo in the wrong place.

Bring back BR as they never got it wrong lol

180BBFEF-5118-46BB-B344-BBAF36C4B88A.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Funny 2

13 hours ago, DevilsAdvocate said:

Cheers

John

If you are considering RAILS 33025 & 33030 I would hurry up, I went into the shop to purchase them last week and they were down to single figures.  when they are gone they are gone!

I have my 3 locos separate away from my other DRS locos to its not as obvious then, but I have to say it really is a big cock up by Heljan!

No, I’m not considering the  Minimodal ones, thanks for the heads up
Saying that, they look great ( apart from the colour )

The models are obviously popular despite this discrepancy, I do like the loco, it’s the first Class 33 I’ve owned, the beauty of modelling DRS allows you to have several different classes of loco if your modelling the early 2000’s

The loco itself is fabulous with its detailing, and it runs beautifully, but I can’t get my head round this monumental cock up from Heljan. 
it’s like Bachmann painting their DRS Class 37’s in rail blue !

I’m not a rivet counter by any means, but as stated previously, this is a major cock up

Trouble is I ordered it on line without seeing it first.

I haven’t seen the Minimodal ones either but but no doubt they’ll be wrong also ?

Cheers

John

Edited by DevilsAdvocate

• RMweb Gold

I got mine from my regular retailer and I've asked them if they can raise the issue with Heljan - I'm not seeking to send mine back TBH but think this is a clear case where replacement bodies may be justified. They do stand out in a line up of other DRS locos.

Chris

• Agree 1

Hi Chris / All

Since  my last post, I’ve returned the loco to the retailer. 
It’s  a shame because the loco is a nice peice and it runs superbly, but I can’t hack the colour difference, it’s a ridiculous cock up. 
I also looked at the Minmodel set also this morning but obviously being the same manufacturer, they’re wrong. 
I’ve been in the hobby 40 yrs and never seen the like before 

Heljan, get to grips lads please, this is a ridiculous error !!

Any other opinions would be interesting to read

Cheers

John

Heljan have got the liveries wrong on so many of their class 33. The Dutch livery seems to be different on each 33 model they do. Some of the models in RfC and Engineering Grey are wrong.

If they are going to get a livery colour wrong, at least they could make it consistent across the range so that you don't get double headed trains with locos in the same livery, but different colours. :(

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

I had the DRS 33/2 in DRS and purchased 33029 to pair with it, but side by side it stood out like a sore thumb. 029 went back, 207 was sold and I got 030 in EWS instead. Really disappointing, I really like the DRS original livery and it suited the 33’s. Still, at least I now have a reason to get a 31 sprayed into EWS.