Building the NWR

I can't say that I've any experience of painting rolling stock yet, but if you like the NWR you may be interested in this model of the Ffarquar branch as it appears in the books or in this blog, which takes Awdry's Sodor as a starting point, but is what the owner describes as a 'gritty' interpretation. Both are very good indeed, and may provide some inspiration for you.

The hardest part about starting is actually starting!  What have you got to lose?  If it's your layout then (initially anyway) only you will see it and, as time goes on, the law of averages says your skills will improve and you can then go back and revisit your early efforts.

As someone once said - just do it!:good:

• Agree 1

On 30/07/2021 at 02:19, Train Thing said:

I would like to start making NWR models but am a bit afraid to start. I’ve painted a few old Hornby wagons but that is all. Anyone out there that just took the risk and painted up a model first try, how did it turn out?

Its either dead easy or incredibly difficult to model the NWR as it never actually existed.   I would pick a suitable colour or 5 in a concentrated Acrylic spray can in a car colour which is from a major manufacturer and more or less current. 40 year old Austin colours aren't great, Though 2000 era Rover Tahiti Blue is quite nice.  My beef with the NWR is surely most of the stock would work to and from the mainland and be LMS/LNER or BR, only local passenger, brake vans and service vehicles would be NWR.

I get that they would want to maximise revenue by using their own Locos, Gordon working most of the expresses is not unlikely, it would be great PR and if Cardean could work the "Corridor" both ways Carlisle - Glasgow surely Gordon could manage two double trips per day.  Can't help thinking the whole service could have been run with a few 2-6-4 tanks.  Think I'll stick to planning a line on the Isle of Skye, and cheat by using Westinghouse braked bogie hoppers for the quarry to harbour traffic which was the mainstay of the revenue.