Lima class 47 weight material

cbrooks122000

As Hornby took over Lima, I assume this is the right forum. I have made a Hornby new chassis type class 47 out of parts so to finish it I needed a body. To cut a long story short, I bought a second hand Lima class 47 as I knew that the the new Hornby chassis suited a Lima body rather than an old Hornby one. I used the weight from the Lima for the new chassis. I found that to get a better fit I needed to file down two of the sides of it, so it fitted into the new chassis. Starts filing and basically no metal is being removed, this material is as hard as nails. So eventually I use my rotary grinder to grind it down. After about half an hour of grinding I eventually got it to the right size. So what an earth did Lima use as a weight? It is incredibly heavy for its size and really difficult to machine.

Lima basically used steel bar cut to length as the weight. 

My guess is mild steel bar. It will file but not as quickly as aluminium, mazac etc.

I doubt they would have used something harder like sprung steel (a cow to file) unless they liked changing saw blades regulary.

• Agree 1

No, it is definitely not mild steel. Admittedly mild steel is a bit harder to file than aluminium but you can file it. I use mild steel a lot when building my Classic Bikes. Mild steel also grinds pretty easily, this stuff doesn't.

3 minutes ago, cbrooks122000 said:

No, it is definitely not mild steel. Admittedly mild steel is a bit harder to file than aluminium but you can file it. I use mild steel a lot when building my Classic Bikes. Mild steel also grinds pretty easily, this stuff doesn't.

Its probably sprung steel (rusts slower). I doubt they go for stainless steel or tungsten weights.

Does it have light rust?

3 hours ago, JSpencer said:

Its probably sprung steel (rusts slower). I doubt they go for stainless steel or tungsten weights.

Does it have light rust?

Yes, it does have light rust. Definitely not stainless, again I use that on my bikes.

Post a photo out of interest. I have sawn through old Lima weights with a hacksaw which appeared to be mild steel, but that's not to say they haven't used other materials.

Do a grind test and look at the colour and characteristics of the sparks.

That was part of our basic metalwork apprenticeship but I have forgotten which metal makes which types of spark, red, bursting, white, etc.

Google brings up this amongst other sources...

https://www.google.co.uk/search?sxsrf=ALeKk01e8DscEbJIn5qUOHY_I6wR8B5ihA%3A1627725268135&source=univ&tbm=isch&q=identifying material by grinding sparks&hl=en-gb&client=safari&fir=vPZEtH0UkqYW8M%2C4IkwaA9T0R0PrM%2C_%3BlzAWWGxlh-hr5M%2C4IkwaA9T0R0PrM%2C_%3BkLgU-wiEYrfvcM%2C4IkwaA9T0R0PrM%2C_%3BsB1PDEB2C8a1oM%2C4IkwaA9T0R0PrM%2C_&usg=AI4_-kQlgMPA8LaDKouDNTPrBaZnL2rclQ&ved=2ahUKEwjhgtOVhY3yAhXbRkEAHavMA_YQv7IFegQIARAF&biw=1024&bih=643#imgrc=xiBH8DM9GqmpRM

Edited by RAF96
Provide link to external reference site.
  • Like 1

Is there a compliment due here to Lima  in bucking the reputation of Italian metal !!

(i cut some with an angle grinder, beat a hacksaw hands down)

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)

Ive used Car Wheel balance weights (10g and 5g) from ebay, are self adhesive too, you can fit as much as you like in a Lima model.

Something like this…

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/234111885249?hash=item368227dfc1:g:daAAAOSwd0VhBFFm

loads of variations on qty, price, colour on ebay, mostly strips of 60g, you can cut the adhesive with scissors, stick them in the chassis and build blocks of weights by sticking them to each other.

5g is small enough to fit some steam loco boilers, or under coach bogies to give extra weight etc.

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

It is Mild Steel but its the bar with scale on it thats the Black/Brown coating. Can't remember if thats the hot rolled Mild Steel or not. The alternative is what we knew as Bright mild Steel and was far more accurate and true in size and was easier to work. The scale on the outside of these weights is a pig to work and can blunt a file in no time.

Edited by Bilbo

The steel weights in Lima's earlier diesels were clearly cut from lengths of mild steel bar, without much finesse - I bought a mint blue Warship around 30 years ago from a shop and discovered it wouldn't run. When I took it apart I found a piece of steel swarf from the crudely-cut ballast weight lodged in the gears! So after that I cleaned them all up with a file. Lima later saved me the bother by doing the job properly.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Bilbo said:

It is Mild Steel but its the bar with scale on it thats the Black/Brown coating. Can't remember if thats the hot rolled Mild Steel or not. The alternative is what we knew as Bright mild Steel and was far more accurate and true in size and was easier to work. The scale on the outside of these weights is a pig to work and can blunt a file in no time.

The bar with mill-scale is hot-rolled/hot-reduced; the scale is a allotrope, being much harder than normal mild steel.

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1