BR / Coles Track Relaying Unit

cctransuk

248961416_TRACKRELAYERCOLESUNIDENTIFIED.jpg.671dc6c5a3c010d7b77c4c7f38392569.jpg

Copyright unknown

I am seeking more information concerning the above unit, which I believe was allocated to BR(SR); (not least because of the attached loco and PW brakevan).

In particular, I would welcome information as to the wording on the long panel attached to the WARWELL, and the unit's number.

The photo would seem to indicate that the cranes were painted in BR crimson and cream, and the lettering panel on the WARWELL also appears to be cream, possibly with crimson lettering. I am guessing that the WARWELL was painted black.

Any information would be gratefully received as I am about to model the unit, using a Hattons WARWELL and a couple of Hornby Coles cranes; (which will have their jibs replaced to match the prototype).

Many thanks in anticipation.

John Isherwood.

Edited by cctransuk
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Nice photo. Can't help with the details I'm afraid other than to say the wording on the WARWELL could be as simple as "Not to be loose shunted". But I'm sure someone with more knowledge will confirm what it actually says.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, iands said:

Nice photo. Can't help with the details I'm afraid other than to say the wording on the WARWELL could be as simple as "Not to be loose shunted". But I'm sure someone with more knowledge will confirm what it actually says.

Thanks for that - I had wondered about 'Not to be loose shunted', but couldn't reconcile this with what can be made out of the word length and spacing.

John Isherwood.

1 hour ago, cctransuk said:

248961416_TRACKRELAYERCOLESUNIDENTIFIED.jpg.671dc6c5a3c010d7b77c4c7f38392569.jpg

Copyright unknown

I am seeking more information concerning the above unit, which I believe was allocated to BR(SR);

A little more research has turned up quite a bit more info'.

The illustrated unit is TRU No.6, (or is identical to it), which was converted from DM721234 - an ex-WD WARWELL which had been initially converted into a BOGIE BOLSTER B.

There is a photo of TRU No.6 in 'BR Departmental Rolling Stock' (Larkin / Bradford Barton) with a lengthy caption, and the lettering on the chassis panel is clearly 'NOT TO BE LOOSE SHUNTED'. This second photo was taken at Hoo Junction in 1970, and illustrates the unit in departmental yellow with black lettering; black chevron stripes on the crane counterweights, which also carry the COLES logo in black, and 'KEEP CLEAR' in red on a white panel.

It is clear in both photos that the crane cabs have been modified from standard in order to remain within the railway loading gauge.

John Isherwood.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

Thats the first colour photo I've seen.

I'm aware of two photos in books

David Larkins original wagon books for Bradford Barton in the late '70's Departmental rolling stock has aphoto that I would judge to be in BR yellow with wasp stripes on only the counterweight, a coles logo on the c/w, a central 'KEEP CLEAR' on the c/w and 'NOT TO BE LOOSE SHUNTED' on the right hand  crane AND on the board in the web of the well frame., and TRU No 6 on the left hand crane. based on warwell DM721234 and photographed at Hoo Jct in 1970. Its quite well exposed, so like many of his photos it may have been re-used in his more recent Kestral/Noodle books.

The other photo is in the Mitchell/Smith Middleton pPress book Guildford to Redhill, its shown in use at Guildford and has wasp stripes on the 'inner' face of the crane body (underneath the jib) also has Coles logos on a plate on the jib, which dont seem to be present on the Larkin photo. Unidenntified, but dated 18th March 1970.

Jon

Two very nice photos. There were two of these - TRU6 (on DM721234) and TRU 7 (on DM721282), both converted in 1962. When the CEPS system was introduced in the mid 1970s they became DRB78117 and DRB78118 respectively. Other than the cab modification to fit the loading gauge they were stock Coles products. The concept was updated in 1969 when TRU12 and 13 arrived (DRB78119/120), these using a pair of British Hoist & Crane Tourmaline Iron Fairy cranes giving a more modern appearance.

They'll make a fine model.

Hywel

16 hours ago, Wickham Green too said:

These of any use ? : - 

29_13.jpg.bd53d32bb0cdce0f240e61572e0ec454.jpg29_24.jpg.4b777302814aca50f931875d2a810dc8.jpg

TRU 7 on DM721282 - Elmers End : 16/7/78

Spot on !!! Thank you.

All I need to undertake the crane cab mods., and the two Coles cranes arrived in today's post.

John Isherwood.

• Like 2

I've had the wagon and two Coles cranes on the round tuit shelf for a while so will be interested to see how you get on.  It was only a week ago I pulled a rather poor print out TRU6.  I went to find the URL for you and initially thought it showed the other side of the brake van, closer examination shows that the picture has been printed back to front!  In fact I've just realised it's the reverse of the one you initially posted, doh!  This one does at least have the copyright owner on the photo.

Tony Comber98b2ae966da2367ec690f5601f7238ee.jpg

Edited by shipbadger
Dawning realisation.
  • Like 7

• 7 months later...
  • 1 year later...