Hornby Dublo 8F

602Squadron

Attached is  photo of a Hornby Dublo 8F which I bought back in 1968. It is fitted with an open frame 3-pole motor rather than a Ringfield unit, which suggests it's an earlier (1958-60) production.

All the information I have found online indicates that the 2-rail versions of the 8F were numbered 48073 or 48109, but mine is numbered 48100. The cab side numbers appear to be spray painted - they are certainly not transfers. The smokebox number plate is a transfer, but a complete number rather than individually applied digits. 8D57CD0C-4C99-4B6A-8A8B-C55A3D9A21FF.jpeg.63e745198855b3059333c1e7c6ebf165.jpeg. Although the previous owner fitted sprung buffers and a screw coupling, the numbering looks to me to be factory-applied.

As I said, I've not been able to find any indication that Hornby Dublo produced a version numbered 48100. Does anybody have any further information?

Edited by 602Squadron
Spelling
  • Like 3

I would also say that this is most likely to be an after market renumbering.

The fact that it has had other modifications would tend to lend credibility to this.

The “half inch motor” versions of the 8f are indeed the earliest models. 48109 being the usual Hornby Dublo applied number.

Available in 2-rail both as a boxed locomotive and tender, and in a goods train set, it was only a couple of years later that the Ringfield motor versions of  both locomotive and train set appeared. Locomotive number 48073.

The loco, 48109,  and wagons from the earlier 2-rail 8F Goods Train Set at Ffrwd Locks.

1DA308BC-1B31-4E59-B704-AEBFA84C68EE.jpeg.65057f1720ff9e2633d1fc4d66e803fa.jpeg

EC611FFE-3C22-4082-817E-B1D3E17D1DC6.jpeg.44d8b49efab6402192493d6aadc1c6f7.jpeg

Edited by Ruffnut Thorston
Photos added
  • Like 2

I always preferred the half-inch motor version which doesn't have the motor protruding out of the cab. I believe the Ringfield motors were stronger, but my early model, three-rail, was quite capable of dragging thirty minerals and a brake around. I was happy enough with that. I think the Ringfield models had plated wheel treads, so whatever extra power the motor provided was lost through poor adhesion.

• Agree 2

1 hour ago, Nearholmer said:

And, here’s 48073. But, there is something not quite right here …….

Be careful making jokes with ACE locomotives; you might end unpleasantly in an ACE advertisement.

Regards

Fred

• Funny 2

2 hours ago, Nearholmer said:

My first instinct, and its really hard to tell from a photo, is that the number looks like competent hand applied brush painting.

I would agree.

The Dublo numbers are 48158 (3 rail) and 48109 (2rail) for the 1/2" motor versions. It looks like the 'nine' has been painted out and replaced with a 'zero'. The 2 rail ringfield version is 48073. There is a 3 rail ringfield version, so rare that she can be ignored.

Edited by Il Grifone
  • Like 2

9 minutes ago, Il Grifone said:

There is a 3 rail ringfield version, so rare that she can be ignored.

I have one of those!

Unfortunately, I long ago fitted it with 2-rail Romford wheels and a replacement motor.

The Ringfield motor was cr*p - it squealed and locked under load. I suspected insufficient clearance between ring magnet and armature.

CJI.

• Like 1

I've both Ringfield and 1/2 inch 2 rail locos both are excellent hauliers easier to pull 40 hd wagons on the flat and around 36" curves. I found the Ringfield (wrenn) has the slight edge, although slightly unbalanced too much weight at the back. Both have excellent pick ups and don't stall on points. Popular locomotives both given excellent service over 50 years

6 hours ago, 602Squadron said:

All the information I have found online indicates that the 2-rail versions of the 8F were numbered 48073 or 48109, but mine is numbered 48100. The cab side numbers appear to be spray painted - they are certainly not transfers. The smokebox number plate is a transfer, but a complete number rather than individually applied digits. 

How do you know they are not transfers? 

I renumbered one of those years ago using methfix numbers and sprayed varnish over the whole loco.   I think I redid all 5 digits, not just alter the last one as I think there was a slight size discrepancy. You could tell the number wasn't the original Hornby one because I didn't manage to do as good a job as this chap, but once the varnish was on I think you'd struggle to say whether I had used paint or transfers.  The problem with transfers was getting the individual digits to line up vertically with horizontally even spacing, but I think somebody with a much steadier hand than mine could have managed that with transfers.

• Friendly/supportive 1

The main fault IMHO is the battleship rivets (ignoring the magnet sticking out of the cab on the ringfield versions and letting them off the flangeless drivers). One of my tenders has been converted to a welded type with a large file. A new 'ferret and dartboard' of the right size and colour also helps (or even a unicycling lion). My recollections of the real thing involve a thick layer of grey muck.

Mine will only manage 18 Dublo wagons without slipping. Two or three less than a 0-6-2T or 4MT, but they don't have a massive tender to haul. She was converted to 2 rail many years ago with Proper Dublo spare wheels* which doesn't help. At present, she is 3 rail again, but still has the nickel plated drivers.

* Afters years of refusing to supply spares, in the 60s Meccano Ltd. relented and you could buy driving wheels etc. (1/6d each IIRC). At the time it seemed like a good idea to convert to 2 rail, so my Dublo all became 2 rail. Stupidly, I repainted my pre-nationalisation models into BR livery (badly - the N2 in plain black was OK, but the less said about the other two the better) at the same time. Penny-pinching even then, I insulated the rims of the 8F centre drivers with chrome tape.

I've now got my 'Green pass', so hopefully I can get back to Airstrip One the UK in the near future  :)/:( .

Edited by Il Grifone
  • Like 1

Thanks to everybody who replied - it is much appreciated.

I've come to the conclusion that my 8F must have been renumbered by the previous owner, and isn't some little-known variation produced by Hornby. The numbers are definitely painted, not transfers - under a magnifying glass you can clearly see a slight roughness in the finish, and there is absolutely no trace of carrier film or varnish. Nor have they worn in the 53 years I've owned the engine. 

Whoever did it must have been very skilful, as both the running number and power classification digits are even sized, level and regularly spaced, which is why I thought they could have been factory applied. Perhaps they used a stencil. I don't think that it's just the last figure that has  been changed from 9 to 0 due to the consistency in size and colour of all the digits, although it's a little coincidental that the running number varies by only one figure from the Hornby number.

The smokebox door plate still interests me, however - it is a transfer, but a preformed 5-digit number, not individual numbers put together. Did any manufacturer offer such transfers in 1958-68 I wonder? I don't recall any and I can't see anything in the W&H or Hamblings catalogues I still have from that time.

Anyway, the reason for asking was because I plan to sell the model and I wanted to make sure that I describe it accurately in the listing. Again, my thanks to you all for your help.

Best wishes

Bernard

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
22 hours ago, cctransuk said:
22 hours ago, Il Grifone said:

There is a 3 rail ringfield version, so rare that she can be ignored.

I have one of those!

So have I and it's always been a beautiful runner. I recall saving up the £4 2s 6d needed to purchase this from Thomases in Belfast in tbe 60s with my Father. 

• Like 1

Just now, Colin_McLeod said:

So have I and it's always been a beautiful runner. I recall saving up the £4 2s 6d needed to purchase this from Thomases in Belfast in tbe 60s with my Father. 

Mine came new from a Glasgow model shop; (name forgotten); that always had an ad. in the Railway Modeller for discounted Dublo 3-rail.

It ran OK at first but, after a few minutes running, it would squeal, slow down, and then 'lock up'.

In more recent years, Romford wheels and a Pittman motor have transformed it!

John Isherwood.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, cctransuk said:

Mine came new from a Glasgow model shop; (name forgotten); that always had an ad. in the Railway Modeller for discounted Dublo 3-rail.

Clyde Model Dockyard, perhaps?

Hi all,

I was wondering on a slightly off topic 8F moment. Would it be possible to squeeze an 8F chassis into the 2-6-4 body. I managed to get a 9F chassis into a 2-6-4 body. Any one tried to do this. I have a spare body but do not want to spend extra money on an 8F chassis if it cannot be done.

DSC_0906.JPG

DSC_0907.JPG

Edited by cypherman
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

I have a couple of 8Fs, both still giving good service.   An original Hornby-Dublo 48109, and a later Ringfield 48073 from Wrenn, which it was relatively easy to re-number as 48773 which I remember well from my trainspotting days in the Glasgow area when it was a Polmadie engine.   In more recent years I managed to have a trip on the Severn Valley Railway, hauled by 48773.

Edited by cessna152towser
typo
  • Like 3

Mine came from a shop in Shirley (Solihull) on the main road into Birmingham (via Hall Green) not usually associated with toy trains. Looking in the window, there she was, priced at a couple of quid (£2/2/- IIRC). Obviously distressed and in need of rescue, she came home with me! (It must have been around 1963, since we moved to Leamington Spa in mid 1964.)

Under my care, she has been 2 railed, repainted/lettered LMS, and then converted back and repainted as 48158.

At one point she lost her valve gear (some misguided idea to use the chassis to power a 28xx), but I thought better of it and reinstated the gear.

Edited by Il Grifone
  • Like 2

I have a Dublo ringfield 8F, bought second hand in Johannesburg, South Africa in the early 1960s (from Alf Chater, although I can't imagine anybody here is familiar with his shop). I repainted and re-numbered to 48772 (I wonder if that is right). It was always a decent runner, although I haven't used it for a good few years. Was contemplating chipping it as I am now DCC, but was concerned at the likely current draw. Anybody have any experience of that issue?

• Like 1