One for the Coach Experts

Any GWR coach experts out there know what the difference is between the non corridor brake compos of dia E147 and dia E157? I photocopied the complete list of coaches produced by the GWR at the back of Harris's book (borrowed from a library - I don't have a copy alas) from which I ascertained that the E147s were a whole inch wider? Were they otherwise identical or did they differ significantly? I ought to add to my stock on Woodstowe and noticed that Worsley Works produce a scratch aid for the E157. Presumably the E157s were intended for branches needing only a single coach.

Thanks in advance.

David C

• RMweb Premium

There were differences - I dont profess to remember but it was once pointed out to me when I confused the two! Slightly different height of windows and the gap above them varied I think, so they do look different.

157s might be Hawksworth rather than Collett? Edit - no: the Hawksworth is the longer E167.

Edited by Hal Nail

Yes, apart from being 1" narrower, basically E157 had deeper windows and hence a lower waist line compared to E147.  Also E147 had one first compartment and five thirds - 333313van, whereas E157 had two firsts and four thirds - 333113van.

Chris KT

Brilliant! Thank you all for your responses. I may well invest in a set of Worsley Works E157 sides, even though the differences appear to be marginal and most people wont notice the differences. I've still got one half of an E147 B set to complete first, though.

Interesting that the E157 that Miss Prism posted a link to has "Return to Princetown" printed on the side. Almost all of the photos of trains on that branch I've come across consist of a single Collet corridor brake compo, not a compartment coach. Maybe the E157 was allocated there because there were a lot of first class passengers visiting the jail .....

David C

• RMweb Gold

I’m sure I remember reading somewhere that a first class compartment was always reserved for prisoners and their accompanying guards on the Princetown branch; there was a reason for this but I’ve forgotten what it was.  It meant that first class compartments for smoking and non-smoking passengers had to be provided as well; I don’t think anyone cared much about whether prisoners smoked or not…

E157 were introduced in 1938, and were thus a Collett design.  AFAIK Hawksworth standardised on 64’ coach lengths, but his non-gangwayed stock (I am only aware of all-thirds) was flat ended.  

Some later E147 were built with full drawgear and full-sized buffers at the ‘inner’ ends and could be used as individual coaches, but of course if used thus as single coaches on a train were not able to provide a choice of smoking and non-smoking accommodation, which may be the reason for the E157s, which had two first class compartments.  They were normally marshalled as if they were B set pairs in service, but some were used singly in BR days on some South Devon branches. 

• 2 weeks later...

Has anyone on here bought Worsley Works etched brass sides? I am sure there must be .... My question is whether they come with etched holes or at least gaps or some kind of indentations for the hinges, handles and grabs.

Why am I asking? I've just screwed up a Comet side for a dia.147 brake compo by failing to drill holes for the hinges etc in straight lines. Consequently, I am wondering about whether to have a go at a Worsley Works dia 157, but I don't fancy trying to b***** up another set of etched brass sides! 

Its odd, because I did manage to drill 'em in alignment once quite a few years ago, but it looks like the one I completed will have live a solitary life rather than as a pair!

Thanks in advance.

David C

37 minutes ago, David C said:

My question is whether they come with etched holes or at least gaps or some kind of indentations for the hinges, handles and grabs.

Looks like from here. (Whether they are all like that is another matter, but a quick e-mail enquiry would clarify.)

I'm quite avowedly not a GWR carriage expert, but I have built both E147 and E157.

This is the E157:

spacer.png

My comments on it here.   It was completed using Comet parts supplied by the customer.

The E147s were a pair (A B set, I think) and built from the Comet kits exactly as the designer intended.

spacer.png

The build begins here although as it's exactly according to the instructions, I don't believe it's terribly detailed.

• Like 1

On 13/08/2021 at 12:26, David C said:

Has anyone on here bought Worsley Works etched brass sides? I am sure there must be .... My question is whether they come with etched holes or at least gaps or some kind of indentations for the hinges, handles and grabs.

Why am I asking? I've just screwed up a Comet side for a dia.147 brake compo by failing to drill holes for the hinges etc in straight lines. Consequently, I am wondering about whether to have a go at a Worsley Works dia 157, but I don't fancy trying to b***** up another set of etched brass sides! 

Its odd, because I did manage to drill 'em in alignment once quite a few years ago, but it looks like the one I completed will have live a solitary life rather than as a pair!

Thanks in advance.

David C

Fill the holes with solder and measure and re-drill.