Railway & Modelling Obituaries

Mick Bonwick

Gilbert

• RMweb Gold

Very sad news, thoughts are with the family.

having met Mick on several occasions, including his scenic course at Pendon and his weathering demos at Rmweb events, it was always an absolute pleasure.  He has had a massive influence on my modelling and will be sorely missed.

• Like 2
  • Agree 4
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold

I can't believe this news and it was only a few weeks ago we had some Land Rover fun with him. What a weathering guru and nice bloke. Sorely missed indeed.

• Agree 5
  • Friendly/supportive 6

• Moderators

Oh my, that's awful to hear and a shock.

I had a lot of time for Mick, as do many others, a wonderful modeller and generous in sharing his skills and talents.

• Like 3
  • Agree 12
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold

Thought the title must be wrong! That is tragic. Saw Mick several times and benefitted from his wisdom which he was always very happy to pass on. Condolences to family and close friends and may he rest in peace ….a huge loss 

• Like 3
  • Agree 5

• RMweb Gold

Truly dreadful news. My thoughts and prayers go out to his family. 2021 is turning out to be a very bad year.

Regards Lez. 

Edited by lezz01
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold

Like the other responders, tragic news. I never met Mick, other than through this forum, but greatly enjoyed the conversations. As one of the land-rover gang I found his weathering tutorials inspirational and he jolted me back into doing some of my own.

RIP, he will be much missed.

If Easton can be saved and finished, perhaps with crowd funding, I will support if I can.

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

Speechless. Never met the man but as he was relatively new to RMweb watched as he made himself popular with a delightfully light style of writing and exactly the right touch. His weathering skills were well-known but he never blew his own trumpet. A huge loss, not least because when things open up again, he was one of several members I was hoping to meet  at a venue here or there.  The shock to his nearest and dearest must be immense. 

We are having a dreadful year, with some of the heaviest hitters passing away.   

• Like 1
  • Agree 14
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Gold

How very very sad, what a shock. Mick was a marvellous guy, very talented and a real teacher of his art. I knew I was privileged when I spent a week-end on his weathering course at Missenden after meeting him and learning a huge amount on a one day course at Pendon. It was a great privilege to know him and I will treasure the chats we had whenever we met. My thoughts go to his wife Ann, his family and close friends.

Godfrey

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 6

• RMweb Gold
Just now, john new said:

Like the other responders, tragic news. I never met Mick, other than through this forum, but greatly enjoyed the conversations. As one of the land-rover gang I found his weathering tutorials inspirational and he jolted me back into doing some of my own.

RIP, he will be much missed.

If Easton can be saved and finished, perhaps with crowd funding, I will support if I can.

I was lucky enough to see Easton in the flesh last week (its even better in real life) when I spent a very pleasant morning drinking coffee with Mick in his garden to discuss changes in the way we would run the weathering courses at Missenden once he finished after this Autumn. He had already decided to stop his tutoring and demonstration activities and we were planning a transition.

Easton is very much fixed in place in his workshop and while I agree withe sentiment I feel we should now wait until his widow decides how she wants to deal with his workshop, layout, model collection, books etc. Like many of us Mick had a large collection of "stuff" accumulated over many years...I'm just very glad I had that morning with him just before he was taken ill.

Chris

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 12

• Administrators

Terrible news and so sudden. Mick was a lovely bloke and superb modeller. It's a great shame the L&WMRS is just opening up, we'll not be able to get back to taking the rise out of each other. 

• Friendly/supportive 10

• RMweb Gold

I really don't know what to say. 

I have on many occasions corresponded with Mick, the last some ten days ago. 

He was always willing to offer help, advice and share his knowledge and techniques. 

His enthusiasm and sense of humour was truly  infectious and led to much banter and mirth, both on his own topics or blogs and when popping up on others. 

And  of course he was a master of his craft. 

My thoughts are with his family at what must be a very sad time. 

I will certainly miss him. 

Rob. 

Edited by NHY 581
  • Agree 5
  • Friendly/supportive 14

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, westerhamstation said:

That is just awful news. My thoughts are with his family. Mick will be much missed by all his friends on RMweb. Adrian.

And there are many, Adrian. 

Inspired by his modelling and educated by his tutorials. 

Rob. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 13
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold

I am deeply shocked and saddened by this news, I can hardly believe it

My thoughts and condolences go out to his family and friends

He will be truly missed

Chris

Edited by chuffinghell
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Gold

Along with a small group of others I had the pleasure of being with Mick at his home just 10 days ago, so this is astonishing & devastating news.

Like others I had got to know Mick personally following attending one of his wonderful Missenden weathering courses a few years ago and we had regularly visited each others homes & layouts.

Mick always had a massively positive attitude and appeared extremely fit and well and so it came as a big shock a week ago to learn that he had been hospitalised.

Mick will be greatly missed and is a considerable loss to the railway modelling community.

RIP Mick

Tony

• Friendly/supportive 18

Very sad news. I had the pleasure of spending a day with Mick on one of his weathering courses. Had a lovely day, learned a lot and found Mick to be a really nice chap with a lot of talent and knowledge which he was only too happy to share.

Thoughts are with his friends and family.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold

Like many others I never met Mick, but have enjoyed his gentle humour on RMWeb.

And benefitted from his expertise.

I’ll miss him too.

Paul.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
16 minutes ago, nickwood said:

The hobby has lost one of those precious few individuals who were very keen to share their incredible knowledge and skills whilst at the same time delivering it in a humble and endearing manner.

RIP MIck, we'll all remember you fondly.

Spot on.....

• Like 2
  • Agree 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1