Railway & Modelling Obituaries

Mick Bonwick

Gilbert

• RMweb Gold

As many others have said, I am shocked and saddened to hear this awful news. 

Over the past months, I’ve read a huge number of Mick’s posts and watched his video tutorials on the Missenden website. He truly was an incredibly skilled and gifted modeller, as well as a true gentleman. His death is a huge loss to the hobby and RMWeb.

The tributes and words expressed by others shows what a lovely chap he was and how he will continue to be remembered and his skills passed on to others. May he rest in peace.

Nick.

• Like 5
  • Agree 10
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Gold

I am completely stunned. I had the pleasure of knowing Mick for a number of years and you would have to go a long way to find a nicer bloke.

My deepest condolences to his wife and family.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 10

• RMweb Premium

This has really shocked me to the core. I didn’t know Mick had been ill and the suddenness of this has really brought home my own mortality. I feel so sad not only for Mick, taken far too early, but also for his family and friends.

I didn’t know Mick well, though his frequent contributions to the Painting and Weathering section of this forum and his various videos have not only been inspiring but have been of huge help to me and have given me confidence to achieve results I would never otherwise have even tried for. I was fortunate to met Mick once, at a Scalefour show, where I asked him for some advice on weathering. Not only was he incredibly patient and helpful, he also took me to a traders stand and helped me buy a range of washes, pigments, paints and brushes that have stood me in good stead ever since.

We’ll miss you, Mick.

• Like 8
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold

This was shocking news for me, as I had an email from Mick a short while ago and my response had not received the expected reply. Very un-Mick like and sadly, I now see why.

I first came across Mick at a model railway exhibition, where he was helping Nick Wood operate Much Murkle and was later privileged to have meet him formally to appreciate his talent and charm, when I attended a couple of his airbrush and weathering courses at Pendon. I was again looking forward to seeing him later this month.  

He was a true gentleman with a ready smile and a quick wit, as well as being a natural teacher, who taught me so much and was able to quickly dispel all nervousness with airbrushing, which too many people consider to be a dark art.

I always think of Mick whenever I pick up my airbrush, the same model as he used in fact and he gave me the confidence to use it without doubts in my new found ability to enjoy a productive and successful session at the spray booth.

It‘s pleasing to know that his tour de force weathering blog here, will continue providing excellent instruction and inspiration to others, who hopefully will become as happy as myself and many modellers who follow and use Mick’s techniques with great satisfaction.

I will miss him very much and feel for his loss to his loved ones.

Farewell dear friend and may your joyful spirit continue to live amongst us in friendship and respect.

Bill

• Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 11

• RMweb Gold
On 02/08/2021 at 11:58, longchap said:

It‘s pleasing to know that his tour de force weathering blog here, will continue providing excellent instruction and inspiration to others, who hopefully will become as happy as myself and many modellers who follow and use Mick’s techniques with great satisfaction.

Mick's Flickr page is here and is another source of inspiration:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/laughinglobster/

Edited by Gilbert
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, Gilbert said:

Mick's Flickr page is here and is another source of inspiration:

Mick Bonwick

The link is unfortunately missing.

NB update - Interestingly the link does not display properly on my I-pad, but does on my lap-top.

Edited by john new
See note

• RMweb Gold
On 02/08/2021 at 12:16, john new said:

The link is unfortunately missing.

NB update - Interestingly the link does not display properly on my I-pad, but does on my lap-top.

Belatedly edited..

• Thanks 1

Only checking in to RM Web having been on holidays and absolutely floored.

I had the extremely good fortune of meeting with Mick at Missenden on a number of occasions, and as someone who has come to the hobby relatively late, and without any history in terms of relationships with the broader hobby, he made me feel instantly welcome, at ease and one of the gang.

I cannot find words that would sufficiently describe his generosity of spirit, his willingness to listen at any time, his patience, and his sheer enthusiasm. As many have already said, he was the superlative gentlemen. For me, weathering tuition will never be the same again, and whenever I do dabble in future, I will forever think very fondly of the teacher and great sport that was Mick. My thoughts are with his family on their premature and tragic loss.

Darren

• Like 6
  • Friendly/supportive 13

Completely stunned by this, I only met Mick a couple of times on courses at Pendon but I also followed his projects here, he will be a great loss to the hobby.  My thoughts are with his family at this time.  RIP Mick.

• Like 4

What a shock. I met Mick several times on his weathering courses @ Missenden & @ Pendon. Such a nice honest helpful guy who gave me inspiration in my weathering & also great advice on a tree making course @ Pendon a couple of years ago. I will fondly remember his ‘mini shop’ he used to bring along where we could purchase all those lovely materials etc that he showed us how to use for weathering. His help & expertise were always in huge abundance & he was such a good tutor. I will miss him & his humour & friendly attitude. RIP Mick.

• Like 7
  • Friendly/supportive 7

• RMweb Gold

I posted some memories on the Missenden Modellers Facebook page but another memory came back to m this evening as I was tidying up

I was fortunate to spend a couple of weeks with Mick spread over a number of Missenden weekends, including attending his weathering sessions twice. Whilst I have my own fond memories of this time, Mick also made a lasting impression on my kids: on the sessions Mick made great use of the wide glass pots that are used by Gü deserts. On my return, my kids happily consumed an unhealthy quantity of these deserts as an aid to my weathering!

I knew Mick best from Missenden and his absence from those weekends will undoubtedly leave a difficult gap to fill.  Unexpected events such as this do cause you to reassess priorities. Rest in peace Mick and many thanks for all the memories - and the new skills.

• Friendly/supportive 18

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I was so saddened to hear that Mick is no longer with us. Our world has lost a wonderful person.  I met him a few times at courses that he was taking at Pendon.  It always made me smile to hear him give the safety notice:

"The blades are sharp. The irons are hot. First Aid kit is in the kitchen"

• Like 8
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

I met Mick at a RM Gold day at Pendon. Mick showed me how to weather a model bus.

Mick is the first person I have met to get an entry in this forum. I took a real start when I found it yesterday. I feel so sorry for his family; he didn't strike me as likely to be leaving us. I do hope they can take some comfort from the messages above.

My model bus has become a very special thing to me.

- Richard.

• Friendly/supportive 9

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, Stubby47 said:

I can't see a Land Rover, real or model, without thinking of Mick.

I was actually a little surprised his coffin didn't turn up in one for the funeral - I'm not joking!

C

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Gold
8 hours ago, Stubby47 said:

I can't see a Land Rover, real or model, without thinking of Mick.

Absolutely. I am exactly the same.  

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 5

• RMweb Gold

We have now been able to create a tribute page for Mick on the Missenden website which showcases his contribution to the hobby and will also remain as a valuable resource for anybody with an interest in improving their weathering skills.

https://www.missendenrailwaymodellers.org.uk/index.php/mick-bonwicks-weathering-masterclass/

Landrovers get a page of their own.... ;)

https://www.missendenrailwaymodellers.org.uk/index.php/virtual-missenden-land-rover-series-1/

Chris Hopper

Edited by Gilbert
  • Like 8
  • Round of applause 3
  • Friendly/supportive 7

On 07/09/2021 at 18:49, Gilbert said:

We have now been able to create a tribute page for Mick on the Missenden website which showcases his contribution to the hobby and will also remain as a valuable resource for anybody with an interest in improving their weathering skills.

https://www.missendenrailwaymodellers.org.uk/index.php/mick-bonwicks-weathering-masterclass/

Landrovers get a page of their own.... ;)

https://www.missendenrailwaymodellers.org.uk/index.php/virtual-missenden-land-rover-series-1/

Chris Hopper

I'm sure Mick would approve, a fitting tribute for a fine man :good:

• Agree 3
  • Thanks 1