Stay Alive - Powers Lights but Not Motor

Sir TophamHatt

Just a quick question.

I have a stay alive fitted to a loco, but when I lift the loco from the track, the motor stops but the lights stay on.

It's a very large capacity - should keep the loco moving for at least half a metre - the lights stay on for 40-50 seconds at least.

Is there something I need to change here in the chip?

Can't remember the chip manufacturer, Lenz or Zimo.

19 minutes ago, Sir TophamHatt said:

Can't remember the chip manufacturer, Lenz or Zimo.

It is critical that you do remember, because the explanation as to what's going on will be completely different.  In one case it's doing exactly what the maker expected it to do, in the other there may be a setting issue.  

- Nigel

Edited by Nigelcliffe

AFAIK Lenz decoders can somehow differenciate between losing contact on say dirty track & removal from the track completly - I really don't know how.

Could explain why the lights stay on (to discharge the capacitors ?) & not power the motor.

17 hours ago, Nigelcliffe said:

It is critical that you do remember, because the explanation as to what's going on will be completely different.  In one case it's doing exactly what the maker expected it to do, in the other there may be a setting issue.

I'm pretty certain this particular loco is a Lenz.

It's a very old loco with traction tyres, which doesn't help but difficult finding replacements without tyres at the moment.

6 minutes ago, Sir TophamHatt said:

I'm pretty certain this particular loco is a Lenz.

It's a very old loco with traction tyres, which doesn't help but difficult finding replacements without tyres at the moment.

If it is a Lenz decoder with its stay-alive its doing what the maker intended.   The Lenz stay-alive setup has an ability to sense the presence of the DCC signal from a nearby rail blocked by a bit of dirt (a capacitance trick).  In the absence of DCC signal, it turns off the motor.    If you want to test the setup, cover one rail with a bit of paper and run the loco over the paper.   

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Nigelcliffe said:

If it is a Lenz decoder with its stay-alive its doing what the maker intended.   The Lenz stay-alive setup has an ability to sense the presence of the DCC signal from a nearby rail blocked by a bit of dirt (a capacitance trick).  In the absence of DCC signal, it turns off the motor.    If you want to test the setup, cover one rail with a bit of paper and run the loco over the paper.   

So that's how it works !

Thanks for explaining Nigel.