Lokpilot v5 DCC & DecoderPro & Hattons Class 66

dj_crisp

Hi

I'm proper stuck trying to understand how to program a Lokpiot V5 DCC using DecoderPro. I'm trying to set up a Hattons Class 66 to use the 10 functions of the Lokpilot V5 and am currently not having any success.

First up I've updated decoder pro and it has the LokPilot 5 DCC  decoder files.... which is great! I can change the loco address and speed table so at least I know I'm communicating to the decoder a bit. So far so good until I try to map lighting functions and now I'm stuck.

I've read the decoder and the function map is as below;

image.png.0bf45b3f171ada11fe2237289abd9bed.png

I guess this is a standard setup. 

The Lights currently behave as;

Either Day or Headlight is permantly on at both ends... although I can switch between day & night lights using the physical swicthes 2&5 (i.e. the middle ones in the bank of three swicthes).

I've fitted an Illuminated models light board and now have F1&F2 doing rear markers with F3&F4 doing front markers with hattons switches all set up for a 6 funtction decoder. Looking at above I really can't see how this is set? Unless the headlight 1&2 are the same function output

I've managed to wire up AUX 4 and F6 seems to operate it so that one seems to be working... but struggling with AUX3 as this isn't working (which could be the new board i guess). Anyhow is there something I'm missing when programming the decoder.... and anyone know which functions are allocated to do which lights on the hattons board?

Thanks

Will

46 minutes ago, dj_crisp said:

It's an MTC one... according to the label as I've no idea what that means ;)

MTC / MKL  =  there are two versions of the 21 pin decoder standard (oh how we love standards when makers decide to have two which are almost but not quite the same).  

It affects how the high function outputs work on the decoder.   MTC = aux3 / aux 4 are logic level outputs,   MKL = aux 3 / aux 4 are full power outputs.  

If you want everything to work, you need the "right" decoder.    If Kaput says that's the MKL version, then you won't get anything on Aux3/Aux4 without making electrical changes inside the loco, or getting the "right" decoder.     Sorry...

11 minutes ago, Nigelcliffe said:

MTC / MKL  =  there are two versions of the 21 pin decoder standard (oh how we love standards when makers decide to have two which are almost but not quite the same).  

It affects how the high function outputs work on the decoder.   MTC = aux3 / aux 4 are logic level outputs,   MKL = aux 3 / aux 4 are full power outputs.  

If you want everything to work, you need the "right" decoder.    If Kaput says that's the MKL version, then you won't get anything on Aux3/Aux4 without making electrical changes inside the loco, or getting the "right" decoder.     Sorry...

Thanks for your help. I had a suspicion something was up.... I really have a love-hate relationship with DCC! 

I managed to directly wire AUX4 to the lights which seems to work... so i think you're saying I could hard wire in using the functions higher than AUX4? 

TBH I'm tempted to bin the Hattons circuit board as far as lighting circuits go and just wire them directly to the decoder. I'm looking forward to the day DCC is more simple and a manufacturer can get lighting circuits right.

Cheers

Will

The decoder manual from ESU will show you which solderpads and pins are full-current and which are logic-level.    Though a fair bit of work, re-wiring directly to the decoder will give you control;  if you have one light onto one function output, then you have full control of them in the ESU function mapping.   
If you need variable brightness (eg. two intensities of a light), then some of the lower function outputs in an ESU can be setup with two different output levels.  Thus output headlight(1) can be different to headlight(2), and a different function key (or combination) can control what brightness you get.  

DecoderPro will handle every option possible in the LokPilot decoder.  If it doesn't, then either you've missed a setting, or the chap who wrote that bit would be happy to hear from you (no its not me).  

- Nigel

• Thanks 1

On 01/08/2021 at 22:06, Nigelcliffe said:

The decoder manual from ESU will show you which solderpads and pins are full-current and which are logic-level.    Though a fair bit of work, re-wiring directly to the decoder will give you control;  if you have one light onto one function output, then you have full control of them in the ESU function mapping.   
If you need variable brightness (eg. two intensities of a light), then some of the lower function outputs in an ESU can be setup with two different output levels.  Thus output headlight(1) can be different to headlight(2), and a different function key (or combination) can control what brightness you get.  

DecoderPro will handle every option possible in the LokPilot decoder.  If it doesn't, then either you've missed a setting, or the chap who wrote that bit would be happy to hear from you (no its not me).  

- Nigel

Thanks again for your help,

I've had a go at soldering and managed the following new mess of wires;

1553685910_2021-08-0418_09_15.jpg.37c5d8a9a7f28edbad4af04d204f5ada.jpg

After playing with the sprog I've now got independent markers, day, night and tail lights on the chassis.

1700158488_2021-08-0418_09_24.jpg.16e6f693e0e6fadb42dbd5d49c591125.jpg

I'm hoping that by keeping the marker lights in the circuit board that the top marker will light ok with the lower markers.... and then I've guessed on the cab light wire (purple in the above photo) will work and use up all available functions. I'll find out later in the week after I've fitted kadees.

Only issue I've had so far is one decoder has a faint "always on" on a few aux outputs.... not sure if thats my soldering or something up with the decoder but I can't seem to fix it. 

Hopefully this all works!

Will

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all!

I'm now moving onto to 66079 which has the old style lighting and I thought I'd try a lokpilot V5 MKL on this one to reduce wiring. Can I map all 10 functions to each output without the need to hard wire anything... or do things like cab lights need hardwiring to the decoder?

Thanks

Will