Bachmann announce NEW Class 47

AY Mod

So many options, details and a couple of new ideas...  well done Bachmann!

With other manufacturers showing what they can do, it's good to see Bachmann attacking this loco class with similar levels of detail.

Look forward to hearing the new announcements :) 

Additional...I wonder if the BCC will do a special version of this loco as its next/future release?  I was only thinking about it the other day, believing it never would happen with the current tooling but with the new tooling, maybe the option has been provided for...

Edited by 97403_Ixion
Added BCC comment...
  • Like 1

Hi,

Amongst many features I like that they have managed to replicate the windscreen coating.

They say all parts are new - new motor?.

I think their dual speaker symbol on the packaging may be confusing when customers come to look at new Bachmann DMUs.

Good to see their Hong Kong employees get a mention.

I admire their one million pound investment and holding off announcing it until it was nearly ready for sale.

Sounds like a lot of model types if there are DC, DCC fitted and Sound variants of each of the many prototype variants.

Regards

Nick

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

This looks fantastic, I will admit my eyebrows were raised when I saw the fact it was a 47 (given there is another new tooling on the way) but the model itself looks brilliant (for what little I know about 47s).

I like how they have given people the choice with the deluxe model, some people wouldn't want to pay the premium (on what is already likely to be the top end price wise) but it will be also a welcome feature to others. Until I know what the prices are I don't know what side of that fence I sit on, I do think fans are a good detail if separately powered as per this and the Cavalex 56.

I find it interesting how they went to Zimo for a while on new releases but have gone back to ESU (pleases me as I only use ESU), I had thought it may be a reuse of the old file but they said it is brand new.

I am interested in how the NEM socket works as it looked like it was a kinematic one but also looked like it was removable, I presume a bit like the Dapol 68 but neater as there isn't a plough to hide it behind here (and hopefully less droopy).

Depending on what the actual announcements are I might have to be getting my hand in my pocket!

• Like 3

Just when I thought I'd got a handle on my pre-orders...my wallet is singing in a distinctly Bruce Dickenson tone right now.

The features on show with these EPs look very interesting, pipping the Cavalex 56 to the motor driven fans too. One thing I note as an omission is the lack of a drive hold with the V5 decoder, but I think I can probably do without it even though its a nice to have, especially at being able to replicate so many different permeations of starting different loadings. I don't think I'm going to be alone in the impatient wait to see what liveries are in tomorrows announcement.

Edited by Zunnan
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Zunnan said:

One thing I note as an omission is the lack of a drive hold with the V5 decoder.

I've not used my Lokprogrammer for a while, but I expect drive hold is something which can be configured without destroying the sound project, but Bachmann have just chosen not to include it.

• Like 1

First the Peaks, now a completely new 47 plus a 69.

Bachmann are certainly fighting back now, I wonder how this might impact EFE going forwards - that had some use of Heljan models in the first draft of announcements, but a Peak and a 47 in direct competition with Heljan must alter that EFE relationship.

What can we expect tomorrow in the main announcement?

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Zunnan said:

is the lack of a drive hold with the V5 decoder

How do you mean? The LokSound V5 does have drive hold AFAIK, or do you mean the Bachmann project doesn't include it?

Edited by TomScrut
  • Like 1

Just now, JohnR said:

The 47 was the next obvious model, if they had waited any long Accurascale would have picked it off. 

The project was instigated several years ago, hence the initial launch run is shipping now.

• Like 2
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

I'm actually a bit p*ssed off about this.

Announcing a whole range of models with just a few weeks to budget/save up is rediculous, especially with so much else in the pipeline (e.g. V2s, Accurascale Deltics to say nothing of progress on the Hornby 91)

Yes so too is 6 year lead times, but surely a 12 month horizon is not too much to ask?

On the plus side, I doubt they will be releasing a model I am intersted in in the first batch (I hope...)

• Like 2
  • Agree 6
  • Funny 5
  • Friendly/supportive 2

3 minutes ago, Flittersnoop said:

I wish Bachmann well with the new Class 47. I find it interesting that they feel there is more profit to be made from revisiting a (admittedly ubiquitous) diesel class that has been widely available previously and a competitor is also working on, rather than introducing a model of one of the many DMU or EMU types that has yet to be offered in RTR, or even an industrial loco. Given the specification and the complexity of the tooling, these new Duffs aren't going to be cheap! It will take a lot to persuade me to buy one, especially as I have yet to embrace DCC.

Because a 47 will sell more in numbers than a DMU or an industrial - and they may have more of these up their sleeves too, just not in this special announcement.

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
4 minutes ago, Flittersnoop said:

Finally, there's the fact that these will be made in China at the time when China is threatening to sink our nice new aircraft carrier in the South China Sea - "Made in China" is increasingly becoming a problematic label for consumers.

Where, I wonder, was the computer/tablet/phone on which you typed the above post, manufactured?

If this is a problem for you you are going to have to give up a lot of things - assuming of course that they can be delivered in the first place.

Cheers

Darius

• Like 5
  • Agree 1
  • Round of applause 1

3 minutes ago, Flittersnoop said:

I find it interesting that they feel there is more profit to be made from revisiting a (admittedly ubiquitous) diesel class that has been widely available previously and a competitor is also working on

Well, I am in the market for a class 47, I was not going to buy an old Bachmann one, don't know which one of the upcoming two I will buy as it will depend on what the releases from Bachmann are and the price.

It is also worth noting that given Bachmann tend to take their time with things that this was probably in development before the other one but they kept quiet about it.

On a completely unrelated note I wonder if there will be a Collectors Club one on launch?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, G-BOAF said:

Announcing a whole range of models with just a few weeks to budget/save up is rediculous, especially with so much else in the pipeline (e.g. V2s, Accurascale Deltics to say nothing of progress on the Hornby 91)

Yes so too is 6 year lead times, but surely a 12 month horizon is not too much to ask?

On the plus side, I doubt they will be releasing a model I am intersted in in the first batch (I hope...)

I don't think it's unreasonable for a manufacturer to compete for our affections, rather than wait for others' new stuff to reach the retailers' shelves; that way lies bankruptcy.

And, presently unlike the Hatton's Class 66 legion of initial releases, with no word yet of a second run, it was clearly stated in the presentation that the 47s are going to be the subject of a repeated issue programme featuring all the variants.  

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Round of applause 3

9 minutes ago, G-BOAF said:

And risk being pipped to the post? They already took a risk in doing this knowing Heljan will be releasing theirs within 12 months and who knows who else is working on one. Snooze you lose. 

would it suit you better if your chosen model is released in a subsequent batch? I guess not.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, 'CHARD said:

I don't think it's unreasonable for a manufacturer to compete for our affections, rather than wait for others' new stuff to reach the retailers' shelves; that way lies bankruptcy.

And, presently unlike the Hatton's Class 66 legion of initial releases, with no word yet of a second run, it was clearly stated in the presentation that the 47s are going to be the subject of a repeated issue programme featuring all the variants.  

Thought you'd disappeared off the face of the earth.

But back on track.....

With all that work, how much extra effort would it have taken to make it EM/P4 friendly - or even as options?

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

WOW!!

This is stunning and what a fantastic locomotive to 'retool' - nearly everyone's default favourite diesel!

This looks simply fantastic - new addition the working fans - think there's a new 56 coming out with that.

Love the glazing - why not default on all or have I missed something?

Ribbed lamp lenses - nice touch.

I hope the bogie frame surrounds are less problematic than the current one - always difficult to align properly once its been removed several times and the impression is it catches the gears slightly - perhaps that's just mine, but I have 2 and both are the same.

Looks a new-style motor.

Increased weight - don't think the previous had many issues - the '70' should be miles heavier, but that's the only Bachmann diesel I would complain about weight-wise.

FANTASTIC - WELL DONE - RAISING THE BAR (in line with A/S and CavAlex ).

Al.

• Like 2