Bachmann announce NEW Class 47

AY Mod

9 minutes ago, newbryford said:

Are you having a laugh?

Who would want to be a manufacturer with comments like that.

No I'm not having a laugh

To make a huge announcement of 'we have a new model it will be here in a few weeks (and probably in limited numbers because no one makes stock to sit on shelves)'  is an insult to customers who might need to budget and plan their spending. There is generally an acceptance of  6-12 month (or longer) lead time for new models. This actually gives customers time to plan spending.

Hattons announced the 66 and it was at least 12 months until they were available for sale (and there DO generally seem to have been plenty to go round). Even the recent LNWR Improved Precedent has been a few months from announcement to delivery (probably approaching 6 by the time they actually appear)

Edited by G-BOAF
  • Agree 2
  • Funny 7

27 minutes ago, G-BOAF said:

I'm actually a bit p*ssed off about this.

Announcing a whole range of models with just a few weeks to budget/save up is rediculous, especially with so much else in the pipeline

They have been doing it since last January, if budgeting is your thing then probably best having a slush fund prior to every announcement TBH.

• Agree 9

Hi,

Watching the video, I think Bachmann have blown everyone out of the water with this, it looks superb and the attention to detail is amazing, I really like the lighting effects on the engine start up!

It feels sort of the same step change as when the Rapido APT-E or Stirling Single arrived. 

As to the comments on timing, their method has been dictated by the market they serve, there are complaints about long lead times from not only Bachmann, but Hornby, Dapol etc, and lots of people want the model out the day after it is announced, so they have to keep it quiet until they are ready. Plus, to be fair the video only states they are ready to ship, you have time to save up whilst they are on the water.

Simon

• Like 3
  • Agree 8

19 minutes ago, newbryford said:

Are you having a laugh?

Who would want to be a manufacturer with comments like that.

No, it's not a laugh.

I have a budget and have vairous items on order / pre-order that will be comming through in the next few months. I don't have a "space" for an extra loco. This was the saem reason that I got the Bachmann 46 but didn't get the Bachman split head-code 45.  To get a 47 would mean canceliing thisg I have already chosen to have. In some cases I will have already got decals / detail parts / photos etc to detail up "my" specific loco.

Wat do I choose to cancel?

Luke

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

1 minute ago, woodenhead said:

I think it will sell.

And they obviously do if the development has cost them a million quid (I think it said in the video)!

How many people have enough 47s already and not buy any? How many will shove them on eBay and buy these? How many don't have any 47s but want one? I am probably rare being in the latter category!

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

Just now, TomScrut said:

How many will shove them on eBay and buy these? How many don't have any 47s but want one? I am probably rare being in the latter category!

How many of us are looking at this announcement in the hope the "old" ones appear in a sudden glut and get down to affordable prices?

• Like 3
  • Agree 3

Great announcement. Super excited about this.

I have a few questions not answered by the announcement:

- Will they do 47601/901?

- Is provision EM/P4 wheelsets being considered?

- What are the specs of the speakers? Will an EM2 speaker fit?

Hoping my questions don't get lost in all the chatter...

Guy

Edited by lyneux

2 minutes ago, lyneux said:

Great announcement. Super excited about this.

I have a few questions not answered by the announcement:

- Will they do 47601/901?

Guy

I think the answer to the last Guy is not a chance!  As for the will you buy them, in my case no. Not because they are not great, but because we already have all the spoons we need! The same goes for another manufactures 37. Although one of each may appear on Parrot Hall when the suitable versions appear. Kev.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

10 minutes ago, St. Simon said:

It feels sort of the same step change as when the Rapido APT-E or Stirling Single arrived. 

I wonder if there will also be a step change in the price charged for a single loco? Over £200 for a DCC-ready diesel, perhaps?

But Bachmann obviously know their market. I don't know if the Class 47 is everyone's favourite loco (I used to hope to see anything but a Class 47!), either, but it certainly doesn't require much of an excuse to have one on almost any layout from the early 1960s onwards. Whether I can be bothered to replace the small fleet of 47s that I have is another matter...

• Agree 3

11 minutes ago, AY Mod said:

Awww.

I've had to put up with years of people whining about things taking longer than originally anticipated and now we get the other extreme. Just accept that you're unhappy and move on rather having to tell everyone that you are; none of us will ever be able to afford everything in life we want at the drop of a hat and if you've not got the money you'll just have to accept there'll be another occasion when you have.

In the meantime please stop sounding like spoilt brats.

Kind of my point. Is there no middle ground?

Anyway this is going O/T. It does look like a fantastic model and is a very exicting announcement from Bachmann

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, woodenhead said:

First the Peaks, now a completely new 47 plus a 69.

Bachmann are certainly fighting back now, I wonder how this might impact EFE going forwards - that had some use of Heljan models in the first draft of announcements, but a Peak and a 47 in direct competition with Heljan must alter that EFE relationship.

What can we expect tomorrow in the main announcement?

I suspect that there will be no new EFE models coming to the market apart from the 1938 tube stock train. Ever. The last time there were any EFE models announced was last year's autumn announcements. None since.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 3

13 minutes ago, lyneux said:

Guy, there's space between the sideframes for conversion, brake shoes may need adjusting. Speakers as fitted are one sugar cube and one 28mm diameter round.

• Like 4
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

42 minutes ago, TomScrut said:

They have been doing it since last January, if budgeting is your thing then probably best having a slush fund prior to every announcement TBH.

Absolutely agree, and also I’d add that zero percent offers are everywhere at the moment and these allow the cost to be spread over 4-12 months on average.  I used the PayPal 4 month 0% offer for the APT. Painless and I’ve paid for it before it even arrives…..

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, D9020 Nimbus said:

I suspect that there will be no new EFE models coming to the market apart from the 1938 tube stock train.

The N Gauge JIA.

5 minutes ago, D9020 Nimbus said:

The last time there were any EFE models announced was last year's autumn announcements. None since.

Apart from the Winter 2020 announcements.

• Like 2
  • Agree 3

29 minutes ago, luke_stevens said:

No, it's not a laugh.

I have a budget and have vairous items on order / pre-order that will be comming through in the next few months. I don't have a "space" for an extra loco. This was the saem reason that I got the Bachmann 46 but didn't get the Bachman split head-code 45.  To get a 47 would mean canceliing thisg I have already chosen to have. In some cases I will have already got decals / detail parts / photos etc to detail up "my" specific loco.

Wat do I choose to cancel?

Luke

It is your hobby so choose to buy the items most useful to you.

• Agree 4