Bachmann announce NEW Class 47

AY Mod

• RMweb Premium
28 minutes ago, The Black Hat said:

1. The roof fans. I am surprised this has not been picked up on. Hornby did have rotating roof fans in things like the 31, 50, etc. They were linked to the motor and sped up with working. Yes the model could be fitted with DCC but this in the end did the same. Bachmann might have one fitted to a motor specifically for the fans but its nice spin to label it as the first one done. 

37 minutes ago, surfsup said:

The rotating fans - These are a bit of a bugbear of mine, something that is nice to have but are they really necessary? After all, you wont be watching them rotate while it's on the move. Fingers crossed that they'll be powered separately though, as I've found the rotating fans on Hornby's HST to impact it's performance (enough that I've disconnected mine and binned off the mechanism). Now, Opening and closing Radiator grilles would be a hugely impressive feature! 

The Hornby fans were linked with a band to the motor and turned as soon as the loco moved, and turned in the wrong direction when the loco was reversed!  The video shows that the fans on the Class 47 will start and stop randomly, so they have to be powered by a separate motor.

In fact, while typing this I thought to check the Bachmann website and it clearly states "Rotating radiator fans, driven by an independent motor and gearbox, operated via a DCC function, or randomised when operated as part of the sound project on DCC and Analogue control (SOUND FITTED DELUXE models only)"

If you don't want the fans, just don't buy the deluxe version.

• Agree 2

19 minutes ago, mdvle said:

While we will need to wait and see on the price, those Accurascale prices are 2 (Class 37) and 3 (Class 55) years old at this point, and in particular prices have gone up significantly in the last 6 to 9 months.  Thus comparing them to a new model isn't really relevant.

They may be 3 year old prices but those prices are still being honoured by the retailer(s), or certainly for orders placed up until a certain point (for the 92). I can't see Acurascale, Rails, DPS, Locomotion dispatching them at a loss. Ditto the Rails 66 which was RRP at £150 and now being sold under £120 (and still obviously profiting). That said I expect future batches of all these to cost more.

• Agree 3

47 minutes ago, Not Captain Kernow said:

In fact, while typing this I thought to check the Bachmann website and it clearly states "Rotating radiator fans, driven by an independent motor and gearbox, operated via a DCC function, or randomised when operated as part of the sound project on DCC and Analogue control (SOUND FITTED DELUXE models only)"

Indeed, the fans, motor and drive train are a separate module that connects to the main PCB.

• Like 1

Good timing by Bachmann as a manufacturer that bagged the 'ultimate' 47 would see a good investment return long run on the (extra) tooling investment right now?  Has anyone previously chopped their Lima 47s for the Heljan one, then chopped the Heljan for the Bachmann, now contemplating chopping the Bachmann for errr a new Bachmann...

• Like 2
  • Funny 2

I won't be in a rush to sell any of my current Bachmann 47's  (all 10). I will be waiting to see which ones are released, if there any any that compliment my current roster. I am happy to see that they are tooling all versions flush fronts and cut cab being what I mainly have my eye on. I may replace some if the correct numbers are drawn, but that's a lottery game...

47790, 47853, 47812, 47580, 47830 would make me a empty my wallet...

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, brushman47544 said:

This is really excellent news. I do hope a BR blue with dominos version is amongst the first releases. Perhaps ‘Chard has been able to influence that in view of his previously stated interest.

Tongue in cheek mode on… With all these different tooling options, I haven’t seen whether the two cab window eyebrows options will be produced and if not which one will be - the Brush or Crewe version?

I only noticed Brush style window frames in the video. Maybe they drew the line at detail differences there.

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, woodenhead said:

In the same direction as all other hobby markets.

It is what it is, Bachmann have to compete with SLW, Accurascale, Hornby and Heljan, if they try that on price alone they will simply fail.

Perhaps it’s a bit more complicated than that? Especially if you consider your popular prototype reasoning.

Griff

10 minutes ago, Mophead45143 said:

I only noticed Brush style window frames in the video. Maybe they drew the line at detail differences there.

what is the difference between the two window frames?

Can you post pictures to illutrate?

How many models are normally produced in a production run? Or what’s the minimum factory order to make it viable? I guess I’m wondering if these will end up being pseudo ‘limited editions’ or whether there will be stock left over for years to come?!?

• RMweb Gold

Looking at the specifications, allowing for prices for other recent stuff from Bachmann and comparing both with the Heljan models for which we already have a price I'd have a stab at guessing the r.r.p.

The basic non-sound ones coming in at around the same £220-ish mark as Heljan, with the super-duper do-everything ones at somewhere between £325 and £400.

John

Edited by Dunsignalling
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

High light of the thread has to be the "they're releasing this far too quickly" grump. 

Perhaps I'm easily amused but it did make me laugh. 

Just brilliant. 

Rob

• Like 5
  • Agree 5
  • Funny 9

Seen the announcement today and all i can say is bring it on! 

Whether or not you like the rotating fans, they are the way to go and manufacturers like Cavalex and now Bachmann are clearly seeing a market for these. They are an excellent addition to 00 gauge modelling and show just what can be achieved with vision and foresight. Lets hope that Suttons and Accurascale in due course will offer this on their locomotives. 

The Brush 4 is an iconic locomotive and i for one will be waiting to see what liveries Bachmann are going to announce. I will be purchasing several dependant upon liveries and very much look forward to seeing them. Well done Bachmann 

• RMweb Premium
11 minutes ago, IRC said:

How many models are normally produced in a production run? Or what’s the minimum factory order to make it viable? I guess I’m wondering if these will end up being pseudo ‘limited editions’ or whether there will be stock left over for years to come?!?

I'd say all toy trains are effectively limited editions these days and I'd strongly suspect these will be the same. 

• Agree 6

12 minutes ago, NHY 581 said:

High light of the thread has to be the "they're releasing this far too quickly" grump. 

Perhaps I'm easily amused but it did make me laugh. 

Just brilliant. 

Rob

I think it just took everyone by surprise. With the timings they are talking about, they must be super confident on the paint finishes. They have done well to keep it quiet.

2 hours ago, adb968008 said:

You should consider that increasing prices doesn't decrease the value of your own collection… my TTS fitted 60044 Dowlow I bought for £130 last year is now £230 on Hornbys website.

I’m not expecting the value of my Lima class 47’s to drop below the £17.50 I paid for them in 1993, or the £75-£100 I paid for most Bachmann ones 3-5 years ago.

Model railway prices are giving me a greater ROI than my 37.5p Lloyds bank shares of 2009.

I think it's important to recognise just how much choice we now have with certain prototypes. The new Bachmann 47 is clearly a top-of-the-range model, but there is plenty of life and opportunity in the previous Bachmann offering, Heljan and Lima/Hornby Railroad models to suit all budgets and appetites. There will also be some trickledown from people who choose to upgrade. As adb968008 observes, the general increase in model railway prices over the last 15 years means that an older model well looked after often returns more than it cost new when being 'recycled'.

For me, I will await the proposed Bachmann liveries but I'm pretty sure I'll thin out some of my existing fleet to fund at least one Bachmann new offering.  

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Wow just watched they really have thrown the kitchen sink at this and good luck to them. I probably won’t buy one unless it’s available in red or green or grey or some combination like that.

This really did deserve an announcement day of its own- hoping for more pleasant surprises tomorrow.

• Agree 1

4 hours ago, AY Mod said:

Oh absolutely. Some people just don't know what proper disappointment actually is...

• being wide awake at 7.00am on a Sunday.
  • a bottle of your favourite cider that's just gone past its best.
  • the last Pringle in the tube.

Some people need to get a proper sense of perspective. ;)

Proper disappointment for me is...

1)  A bus replacement service.

2) Sneaking to the freezer, carefully and quietly opening a tub of ice cream only to find it contains frozen soup or worse.

Anyway back to the subject in hand, amazing, the 47s looks absolutely stunning.  Well done Bachmann

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

27 minutes ago, No Decorum said:

If Bachmann can get the model hotplates in the cabs to work, we’ll have the answer to that wisecrack, “But will it make the tea?

Only if they make a working second man with a billy can.  ;)

4 hours ago, Mophead45143 said:

I had actually pre-ordered 47435 from Rails. They had better announce a bog standard, banger blue TOPS 47 with domino's in the new tooling then!!! Steam Heat preferably, but I'll take an ETH 47/4.

47435 was supposed to be the first time it was done in the old tooling, despite it being one of the most common variants, with the majority of the fleet being in that condition from the late 70's - early 80's. Thought we were going to get one finally, but now we'll have to wait and see!

Fingers crossed.

Cameron

Yeh I've pre ordered some 435s to and some transfers to renumber some of them