Bachmann announce NEW Class 47

AY Mod

• RMweb Premium

Nice looking model. I had been holding out hope for the new Heljan model, but that's not looking promising shape-wise.

I haven't got a big 47 fleet to replace (just a single Heljan tubby and one green Bachmann, which I'd keep rather than replace anyhoo) as I had been holding off for the right liveries for my chosen era, so these look like they might fit the bill for my fleet 'needs', which will be mainly TOPS Blue 1985-ish, standard or large logo for around five 47/4s, and either standard blue or original railfreight for a couple of 47/3s. I don't think I can afford super douper for all of them (!), so it would probably be mostly standard versions with one or perhaps two in deluxe form.

I think it'll take a few years to get them all though, job depending (and that's up in the air at the moment as it is).

12 hours ago, G-BOAF said:

They may be 3 year old prices but those prices are still being honoured by the retailer(s), or certainly for orders placed up until a certain point (for the 92). I can't see Acurascale, Rails, DPS, Locomotion dispatching them at a loss. Ditto the Rails 66 which was RRP at £150 and now being sold under £120 (and still obviously profiting). That said I expect future batches of all these to cost more.

Exactly. Not related to this thread but so far they have been able to sell things without jacking the price up, which is my biggest bugbear, moving goalposts. Whether that is good for their business I don't know, but I know I who I have more on preorder with.

Which at least the new Bachmann pricing model won't fall foul of, i.e. announcement price is selling price pre discount. I am still keeping an eye on the Northern 150s looking for when the price fix expires and I can order one for what I ordered one for a while back (assuming they get discounted, which I think they will)

Edited by TomScrut

8 hours ago, luke_stevens said:

Wat do I choose to cancel?

It's a tough choice. I'm dithering - should I cut back on the wine, or the beer? I might just scrap by with one less bottle of wine a week. Say it takes Bachmann six months to deliver. 26 weeks. £7 x 26 = £182. Is that enough?

• Funny 3

5 hours ago, Tankerman said:

My father, now long deceased, had a small building company .....

What was the largest building in his repertoire, pray tell?

4 hours ago, brushman47544 said:

This is really excellent news. I do hope a BR blue with dominos version is amongst the first releases. Perhaps ‘Chard has been able to influence that in view of his previously stated interest.

That would be handy; any Serck version in the 1967-73 spectrum TBH. 

3 hours ago, XChris said:

I won't be in a rush to sell any of my current Bachmann 47's  (all 10).

Only ten?!!!  I'm not at ADB's vertigo inducing levels, but....

2 hours ago, Mophead45143 said:

I only noticed Brush style window frames in the video. 

+

2 hours ago, G-BOAF said:

what is the difference between the two window frames? Can you post pictures to illutrate?

=

36 minutes ago, owentherail said:

Look on the bright side....... the blue one shouldn't have rivits (sic) around the window 

7 minutes ago, KeithMacdonald said:

It's a tough choice. I'm dithering - should I cut back on the wine, or the beer? I might just scrap by with one less bottle of wine a week. Say it takes Bachmann six months to deliver. 26 weeks. £7 x 26 = £182. Is that enough?

I don't think that £182 will cover it. I'd suspect for dulux spec we'll be looking ~£330, DCC sound ~£280, plain ~£180

You have made my point better than I could have done. At a stretch I could pull together enough in 6 months but...

If "production of the first batch of models complete" as was stated then 6-8 weeks would be a better estimation (1 week to load the container, 3 weeks journey, 1 week to unload the container, 1 week to process. 1 week to dispatch to dealers)

If we had got 6 months then £50 a month might cover things. But the point is, we haven't got 6 months.

Luke

20 minutes ago, KeithMacdonald said:

Except their due within 3 months...

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, Krieghoff said:

Seen the announcement today and all i can say is bring it on! 

Whether or not you like the rotating fans, they are the way to go and manufacturers like Cavalex and now Bachmann are clearly seeing a market for these. They are an excellent addition to 00 gauge modelling and show just what can be achieved with vision and foresight. Lets hope that Suttons and Accurascale in due course will offer this on their locomotives. 

The Brush 4 is an iconic locomotive and i for one will be waiting to see what liveries Bachmann are going to announce. I will be purchasing several dependant upon liveries and very much look forward to seeing them. Well done Bachmann 

No point in having rotating fans on a the 47 with Serck rad shutters if they don't open, the shutters open before the fans run........ The OLEO buffers look naff.  The rad fan grills will be another headache as there are two types.

Edited by 45125
  • Agree 2

22 minutes ago, luke_stevens said:

I don't think that £182 will cover it. I'd suspect for dulux spec we'll be looking ~£330, DCC sound ~£280, plain ~£180

You have made my point better than I could have done. At a stretch I could pull together enough in 6 months but...

If "production of the first batch of models complete" as was stated then 6-8 weeks would be a better estimation (1 week to load the container, 3 weeks journey, 1 week to unload the container, 1 week to process. 1 week to dispatch to dealers)

If we had got 6 months then £50 a month might cover things. But the point is, we haven't got 6 months.

Luke

You do realise that it isn't life and death don't you?

You don't have to buy it, nothing will happen to you if you don't get one.  If you really want one, adjust your spending, if you can't, do without.

This hobby is only as expensive as you want it to be, there are plenty of 47's out there from Hornby/Lima/Heljan/ViTrains/Bachmann, but if you want the latest fully-featured version then make the changes you need to make and quit moaning

• Like 3
  • Agree 2
  • Funny 1

24 minutes ago, luke_stevens said:

Luke

That spec you mention sounds a little too, well, beige for most people's tastes.

As for 'we haven't got six months,' judging by your logic, we're all in the same boat, and nothing will leave the shop shelves until we have all saved our pennies, in around February 2022, so nothing to worry about.

12 minutes ago, 45125 said:

No point in having rotating fans on a the 47 with Serck rad shutters if they don't open, the shutters open before the fans run........ The OLEO buffers look naff.  The rad fan grills will be another headache as there are two types.

And on that positive note.....  (FFS)

• Like 6
  • Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

6 pages in less than half a day!

What's the record on this forum?

2 questions I have are:

1. Will it arrive before Christmas - I read a couple of months right at the beginning, but, erm, ... yeah?

2. Will the DCC ready version be less than £200 - my bet is 'only if you're lucky'?

Al.

• RMweb Gold

Looks good - slightly flexy period of interest allows one in - if the right' green liveried version will be available some time  (so one chubby one will go on the sales list),  An encouraging thing about this model is that Bachmann are really waking up to the competition in the market area where they are increasingly positioning themselves.  So maybe there really is truth in the old adage that competition improves the breed?

• Like 5

26 minutes ago, 45125 said:

Have you counted the number of rivets yet?

And it doesn't run on diesel fuel either!

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

1 minute ago, The Stationmaster said:

Looks good - slightly flexy period of interest allows one in - if the right' green liveried version will be available some time  (so one chubby one will go on the sales list),  An encouraging thing about this model is that Bachmann are really waking up to the competition in the market area where they are increasingly positioning themselves.  So maybe there really is truth in the old adage that competition improves the breed?

The Farish range we see now can be directly linked to the N gauge range of Dapol - the V2 was the last 'Farish style' Farish which was panned when compared with the models coming from Dapol.  Bachmann upped their game and we got most mainline locos from Farish with some notable exceptions - quite how the 25/3 survived so long I don't know.

Now the n gauge DC sound engines are coming to OO.

> You do realise that it isn't life and death don't you?

Absolutely, and I've never suggested anything else.

> You don't have to buy it, nothing will happen to you if you don't get one.  If you really want one, adjust your spending, if you can't, do without.

Correct. At this point for my modelling a 47 would be "nice"; it's not "essential" or "urgent".   

> This hobby is only as expensive as you want it to be, there are plenty of 47's out there from Hornby/Lima/Heljan/ViTrains/Bachmann, but if you want the latest fully-featured version then make the changes you need to make

Which is what I do with most of my modelling. But as we know good modelling takes time. If a model is highly detailed then it can be quicker to complete to "my satisfaction". My choice. 

> and quit moaning

Unneccerialy passive aggressive. 

I don't agree with you and you don't agree with me, which is fine. Lets not get confrontational. Don't forget it isn't a matter of life and death.

Luke

Edited by luke_stevens
correctio of format
  • Friendly/supportive 2

26 minutes ago, 'CHARD said:

As for 'we haven't got six months,' judging by your logic, we're all in the same boat, and nothing will leave the shop shelves until we have all saved our pennies, in around February 2022, so nothing to worry about.

I wouldn't suggest any of us are in the same boat. I haven't suggested that my opinion and response is shared with anyone else (though it clearly is shared by some). Some people are more "eager" for a shiny new Bachmann 47 and will cancel other purchases to have that "precious" new thing.  I will save and see.

Luke

• Friendly/supportive 3

11 minutes ago, luke_stevens said:

I wouldn't suggest any of us are in the same boat. I haven't suggested that my opinion and response is shared with anyone else (though it clearly is shared by some). Some people are more "eager" for a shiny new Bachmann 47 and will cancel other purchases to have that "precious" new thing.  I will save and see.

Luke

You and I both, can't wait to see this in the 'flesh' 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, atom3624 said:

2. Will the DCC ready version be less than £200 - my bet is 'only if you're lucky'?

Lets see.

The class 20 is £164, the class 24/0 is £179 both are 2021 brand new tooling. A 47 is only 2 wheelsets and a few cm longer, with a lot more potential to sell than a 24. Heljan is weighing in at £219 RRP with its new 47.

True the new BEP is £499.

I have a lot of Bachmann, Lima, vitrains 47’s, many bought sub £100, but I only have 2x Hornby VEPs and 2x Bachmann CEPs, and they were £100 too at the time, and I don't really need many more.

I might find 1 BEP in my fleet, but scope for 47’s is much greater, its possible the calculations for revenue are based on how many they can sell, and as such the BEP cost/return is higher as sales will surely be lessthan a class 47, but inversely it could make the 47 lower based on higher volumes that will expected to be sold…

lets see, it would be a miss if the perfect 47 is too expensive for everyone to buy, Ive a figure in mind that I could swim with, so lets see if it sinks or swims.

Edited by adb968008

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, 45125 said:

I am glad someone else realised this as well as me. One day we have a model of the four and a half with its shutters open as if it is hauling a train.

Did any notice the real engine was a rebuilt class 48, they had slightly higher set of  engine room roof hatches than a class 47.

Will they do the one which had vertical 3 part grilles  D1529 (?). I should know it's number as I converted a Lima model.

Anyhow a nice surprise and the models in the video look good.

Edited by Clive Mortimore
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, adb968008 said:

Lets see.

The class 20 is £164, the class 24/0 is £179 both are 2021 brand new tooling. A 47 is only 2 wheelsets and a few cm longer, with a lot more potential to sell than a 24. Heljan is weighing in at £219 RRP with its new 47.

True the new BEP is £499.

I have a lot of Bachmann, Lima, vitrains 47’s, many bought sub £100, but I only have 2x Hornby VEPs and 2x Bachmann CEPs, and they were £100 too at the time, and I don't really need many more.

I might find 1 BEP in my fleet, but scope for 47’s is much greater, its possible the calculations for revenue are based on how many they can sell, and as such the BEP cost/return is higher as sales will surely be lessthan a class 47, but inversely it could make the 47 lower based on higher volumes that will expected to be sold…

lets see, it would be a miss if the perfect 47 is too expensive for everyone to buy, Ive a figure in mind that I could swim with, so lets see if it sinks or swims.

I think Bachmann have concluded that there's no future (for them) in competing on price and have made a conscious decision to position themselves upmarket with their new 47, and probably any other all-new models they have started in the past couple of years.

They therefore won't be busting a gut even to align the price of the "basic" model with Heljan's.

Given the usual differential between DCC-ready and DCC-sound-fitted (excluding the new goodies) , I reckon that will place the top versions significantly north of £300 (precision guess: £369.99).

IMHO, their target market for the deluxe models has to be the guys (and gals) who have already got used to shelling out that sort of sum, in total, for a DCC-ready loco with all the extras added professionally, rather than going head-to-head with any other brand on price.

John

P/s. For me, there are two things that still need to be added to produce the ultimate Brush 4, the working Serck vents already mentioned, and (on earlier versions) programmable headcode panels....

Edited by Dunsignalling
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, Tiddles47 said:

I think this is gonna be a game changer and give Heljan a run for their money when theirs arrive. Well done Bachmann. Hoping there’s a blue or LLB 47/7 on the offing like there has been for the last few years… 

The Heljan Class 47 is nowhere near as accurate. Their RRP in my opinion just doesn't match what they are offering, and I am not referring to details and features. They've got the basic shape wrong. Errors were pointed out when CAD and first tooling samples were shown. As usual absolutely nothing was done about it.

You'll get your money's worth out of the Bachmann Class 47 for sure!

Rather interesting announcement and certainly looks and sounds on a par with some of the competitors announcements of late spec wise so very welcome news.

But …

… I am rather concerned with just how much these will cost? Given a full functioning, twin speaker class 92 is/was £259 I hope Bachmann do not invariably price themselves out of the market with similar spec being considerably more costly.

Looks like a lot of work has gone into developing this all new class 47 and consideration for all variants.

I don’t want to appear negative but, looking at the service sheet shown, it looks like the snowplough is fitted into the NEM pocket still. This, in the past, has prevented full buffer beam detail being fitted when deployed due plough moving with chassis.

Disappointed not a body fitted snowplough on this all new model.

• Like 2