Bachmann announce NEW Class 47

AY Mod

• RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, luke_stevens said:

I wouldn't suggest any of us are in the same boat. I haven't suggested that my opinion and response is shared with anyone else (though it clearly is shared by some). Some people are more "eager" for a shiny new Bachmann 47 and will cancel other purchases to have that "precious" new thing.  I will save and see.

Luke

One factor to remember .... Bachmann have made a huge investment with the research, design and new toolings so it’s likely that they’ll be releasing a variety of 47’s for the next 10 to 15yrs or so to make a decent return on the investment.

So while batch 1 maybe financially out of reach for some ... there will be plenty of opportunity to save or divert pennies for future batches. Also, no doubt the models from batch 1 will trickle onto EBay and co in future so if there’s a particular number or livery that is a ‘must-have’ that’s another opportunity to save and purchase.

Not long to wait until 9:30am to see what liveries will be available within Batch 1 ... good luck saving ... and please wish me luck in return as I’m thinking of excuses as to why the 2022 family holiday needs to be postponed! :help:

• Agree 3

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, Patriot87003 said:

Not long to wait until 9:30am to see what liveries will be available within Batch 1 ... good luck saving ... and please wish me luck in return as I’m thinking of excuses as to why the 2022 family holiday needs to be postponed! :help:

Why not let each family member have a go at driving your new 47. Or maybe even treat each of them to their own 47 if funds allow! :D

Edited by 97406
  • Funny 1

Thankfully this announcement came before I invested in any more 47's , currently only possess 1 which is incomplete (chassis from 47301 body from 47475 to create a specific loco) so if anything gets announced that suits my modelling then I'll part with it

8 minutes ago, 97406 said:

Why not let each family member have a go at driving your new 47. Of maybe even treat each of them to their own 47 if funds allow! :D

Mrs. Patriot87003: “Oh Darling, a Duff! Just what I’ve always wanted!” I think you’re in the realms of fantasy there, 97406!

• Funny 2

• RMweb Gold
7 minutes ago, No Decorum said:

Mrs. Patriot87003: “Oh Darling, a Duff! Just what I’ve always wanted!” I think you’re in the realms of fantasy there, 97406!

Who said romance is dead?

I think there's always room for another duff. I am very tempted, but see how much it is. I have 'Experiment' due to land at some point and 'Ballymoss' hopefully soon after that. It will be a longer term aim, definitely.

DSCF0216.jpg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JohnC said:

deployed due plough moving with chassis

The NEM looks kinematic so wont move if nothing is fastened to it.

EDIT, having seen the announcement video, I aren't sure I was right here

Edited by TomScrut

Always good to see investment in new models, but I find this a slightly surprising move.

I have five DCC sound fitted Bachmann 47s for my small 00 project. All are excellent in appearance and performance. The are certainly "good enough" and I won't be replacing them. Is the market for a new (and probably much higher priced) 47 that large? (especially as they are fast disappearing from the national network).

I wonder if we are getting to the stage that very marginal improvements on old models are now barely being noticed by "the average enthusiast" while the ever rising prices are very much being noticed...

• Agree 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

18 minutes ago, fezza said:

especially as they are fast disappearing from the national network

I can’t remember the last time I saw a Midland Class 1532 on the national network either.

Not everyone models modern image and given the long life and ubiquitousness of the Class 47 I’m pretty sure there will be a good return on investment for Bachmann.

Edited by Aire Head
  • Like 4

6 minutes ago, fezza said:

Is the market for a new (and probably much higher priced) 47 that large?

9 minutes ago, fezza said:

ever rising prices are very much being noticed...

Not sure (RE top quote), but I wasn't in the market for the old one as it was too expensive for how good it was IMO. I will pay top dollar for stuff that is state of the art, not middle/high dollar for something that is pretty long in the tooth. I was expecting to buy a Heljan one, now it sorta depends on the Bachmann releases but I might even wait for Bachmann to release something I want as the EPs look better than the Heljan EP.

8 minutes ago, fezza said:

very marginal improvements on old models

I think the improvement is a bit more than very marginal TBH!

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

3 minutes ago, Aire Head said:

I can’t remember the last time I saw a Midland Class 1532 on the national network either.

Not everyone models modern image and given the love life and ubiquitousness of the Class 47 I’m pretty sure there will be a good return on investment for Bachmann.

There can't be that many large locos that have a longer timespan.

• Agree 3

• RMweb Gold
18 minutes ago, fezza said:

Always good to see investment in new models, but I find this a slightly surprising move.

I have five DCC sound fitted Bachmann 47s for my small 00 project. All are excellent in appearance and performance. The are certainly "good enough" and I won't be replacing them. Is the market for a new (and probably much higher priced) 47 that large? (especially as they are fast disappearing from the national network).

I wonder if we are getting to the stage that very marginal improvements on old models are now barely being noticed by "the average enthusiast" while the ever rising prices are very much being noticed...

Any new model that has been covered previously will come up against the "good enough" argument from owners of earlier renditions. There is also an argument against buying a new model that "sticks out from the crowd" for those with established fleets who don't want/can't afford to fully re-equip. 

It's not really going to be my problem. I have a couple of duffs (one old Heljan, one a Lima special edition "George Jackson Churchward" transplanted onto a new Limby mechanism) but my modelling period has been drifting earlier and they are becoming increasingly anachronistic.

The special effects don't really fire my enthusiasm in the way they do for others anyway. I wouldn't rule out my acquiring one of the basic offerings here but I can probably exclude the possibility of buying more than one....

John

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

interesting thought but the 47 is now the 7th generation tooling (Hornby, Lima, Bachmann, Vitrains, Heljan, Heljanx2 Bachmann x2).

Has any other model been tooled 7 times ?

(Previously the class 52 Western I thought was the most tooled at 5x. Trix, Hornby, Lima, Heljan, Dapol).

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 3

• RMweb Premium
46 minutes ago, fezza said:

while the ever rising prices are very much being noticed...

You certainly cant argue no one on here ever mentions the price but have sales of anything actually been impacted?

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 3

This is a massive project from a major manufacturer, not to be underestimated, the amount of trouble and expense to produce all variants down to the smallest detail is incredible, we are talking different speedo drives, fuel and water taps, valves etc, things that would have been unheard of only a year or so ago...

Bachmann go to the top of the class, Heljan, see me after school.....

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold
6 minutes ago, Hal Nail said:

You certainly cant argue no one on here ever mentions the price but have sales of anything actually been impacted?

Sales by value, perhaps not, but the sizes of production runs are widely acknowledged to have declined so the numbers of boxes shifted by the "big boys" probably has reduced.  

That will be tempered to some degree by the input from new entrants, commissioners and retailers.

John

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

One thing I would be very interested to see more of is what they have done with the chassis design. Bachmann Co Co chassis have always had quality control issues around the centre axle, which often is fractionally lower than the outer two axles meaning it will rock on the bogie  centre.   In the past this has been exaggerated by bogie pivots which are not dead centre over the middle axle, will be interesting to see if the core of the mechanism is a clone of what they have done  previously or an improved design.  I am guessing if they had gone to the ideal solution of a sprung centre axle they would have mentioned it in the blurb yesterday.

As per Guy's comments earlier, with Accurascale, Cavelex and SLW all offering their own replacement finescale wheels for their top end models, it will be very interesting to see if Bachmann will follow suit.

At the end of the day I am very unlikely to replace my ViTrains / Extreme Etchings 47s, or for that matter the two Bachmann RFD machines.   However I will be looking at getting one of the new ones eventually to use as a benchmark for upgrading the rest of the fleet.  Unless a livery I particularly want appears in this batch of releases, odds are I will wait until they start hitting the second hand market at something of a discount to the RRP given I will be respraying.

For my eventually planned Cornish layout there are only 5 planned 47 workings:  TPO, Parcels, Clay (double headed), Virgin XC and GWT sleeper.  For which a second RES machine is required for the parcels, I have 2 RDF for the clay, a Virgin, Fraggonset and a Large Logo Grey (not to mention lots of stand in locos) for Virgin, and a GWT loco for the sleeper.   

Now that I have seen the liveries, 375 in RFD is tempting (although I would have to buy two of them to replace the mk1 bachmanns on the clay, in turn freeing up 2 locos for resprays...)  While an Intercity 47 would be a nice addition to the already overstocked Virgin fleet (and I am trying hard to avoid having umpteen locos in the stock box for each set of coaches...) 

Will have to see what the future brings...   

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

So prices £239.95 , £339.95 and £369.95  for the various spec levels respectively . I did think the fact they didn’t announce price yesterday was indicative something big was coming . I thought £250 , so pleasantly surprised .

This is a substantial increase in specification level , with all possible variants being modelled .  You do get what you have been asking for and you can’t expect it for free .   Bachmann clearly positioning themselves at high spec/ high price end of the market . They obviously think they have found their niche position and I’m betting that despite howls of protest these models will sell .

I’ll certainly be keeping an eye on future variants , but buying very selectively . 

Must be tricky for stockists selecting which models at which spec level they will sell 

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
16 hours ago, tetsudofan said:

Last week I collected a Bachmann Trains (USA) all bells and whilstles Amtrak Midwest Siemens Charger SC-44 Bo-Bo Diesel loco from my local dealer. According to the leaflet that comes with it, includes several brand new features from the prototype. One interesting feature is the emergency braking operation - if it is triggered the emergency brake dump sound will play and the red emergency strobe on the cab roof will begin to flash. Like the new Cl.47 the engine room is all lit up.

Price of this loco retailed by Bachmann Europe is £360-95. Be interesting to compare it to the price of the new Cl.47.

Keith

Interesting how the pricing of Bachmann USA and Bachmann is quite similar.

Bearing in mind that the class 47 is a Co-Co and the American Charger is a Bo-Bo with the sound-fitted Cl.47 versions being priced at £339-95 and £369-95 looks like we are getting are better priced model compared to our American cousins. 

Keith

• Agree 1