Bachmann announce NEW Class 47

AY Mod

1 minute ago, woodenhead said:

On the Sound Deluxe version you get tinted windows - I love that, a real hark back to the the 70s when tinted glass on a car was an extra.

I remember using a 'black' Magic Marker to replicate the tinted windscreens on various diesel types, back in the 1970s. The real ones used a thin gold film that had been developed for rally cars a decade earlier, I believe.

• Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, MGR Hooper! said:

The Heljan Class 47 is nowhere near as accurate. Their RRP in my opinion just doesn't match what they are offering, and I am not referring to details and features. They've got the basic shape wrong. Errors were pointed out when CAD and first tooling samples were shown. As usual absolutely nothing was done about it.

You'll get your money's worth out of the Bachmann Class 47 for sure!

Just for clarification when and where did you see the EP for the new HJ47?

Just 2 of them of interest to me , 004/012 , both suitable for various Scottish machines just need to compile a list which may be difficult due to my cluelessness about the detail differences! 004 can easily have the Tinsley emblem replaced with an Eastfield one and could also be repainted blue as 004 so win win with that one

I appreciate the fact that higher spec commands higher prices but could someone tell me what they felt was seriously lacking in the old Bachmann models? (genuine question, not wanting to start an argument)

I know there were arguments about cab rivets and some individual differences, but I always assumed that modellers who really worried about these things probably had the skills and experience to correct them.

It IS A wonderful model.

Did I see a glimpse of a DRS 47 in the Collectors Club announcement? Would make sense to match the new Mk2Fs (unless it was a previous release DRS loco).

Very clear there will also be a further batch next near (given the re-announcement of the pre-announced old models for production next year).

I'm in two minds about 47828. Its a preserved loco in basically the same condition (with modern OHL signs and MW jumper). BUT (whether by design or accident) it is unnamed meaning an option to renumber to many of the Intercity 47/8s. This is a smart move by Bachmann, and could enable multiple sale for renumbering.

Will probably wait until the initial scrum is over and some discounts are available, and whether there are any retailer or NRM commissions in this batch...

As for prices, assuming 15% standard discount, we are left with c203, 288 and 314. Which is not TOO awful, certainly not for the Sound fitted and Deluxe models...

Thanks @AY Modfor the coverage, and sorry for my initial dismay!

Edited by G-BOAF
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Its got a lovely amount of underframe detail. I wish them well with this project and think it will sell very well. It will be interesting to have a real comparison with the new Heljan 47. I have plenty of 47s but always have room for a really high quality one like that

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

Without trying to be negative, the blue version is disappointing as it repeats Bachmann’s insistence on continuing to produce blue, steam heat, no intensity headlights that have been done before vs later 80s models with intensity headlights  (with or without eth) that I suspect would sell better. Also do we really need a ‘novelty’ livery in the first batch? 

Interestingly, no 47/7 and there is one in the undecorated samples yesterday so maybe some more to come?

Final thought, what’s the score with the old version where I believe there’s a large batch due imminently? Are these still happening?

• Agree 2
  • Funny 1

21 minutes ago, G-BOAF said:

I didn't realise that was a preserved one. Just when I was thinking I had avoided having to get one I am now doing some research! It's probably near enough, as I think it's the only preserved one in Swallow and that would be my preference, and it's unlikely another run of that loco in that livery with the subtle differences will appear either.

Edited by TomScrut

Can we just appreciate for a moment the cost Bachmann has invested into tooling up this Class 47?

A million (plus) quid is no small chunk of change to spend tooling up a RTR locomotive, and is a hell of a brave investment to make. Even on a bread and butter model like a 47.

Edited by 69843
  • Like 1
  • Agree 7

8 minutes ago, SHerr said:

Without trying to be negative, the blue version is disappointing as it repeats Bachmann’s insistence on continuing to produce blue, steam heat, no intensity headlights that have been done before vs later 80s models with intensity headlights  (with or without eth) that I suspect would sell better. Also do we really need a ‘novelty’ livery in the first batch? 

Interestingly, no 47/7 and there is one in the undecorated samples yesterday so maybe some more to come?

Final thought, what’s the score with the old version where I believe there’s a large batch due imminently? Are these still happening?

Interestingly, no 47/7 and there is one in the undecorated samples yesterday so maybe some more to come? - they did say yesterday in the video announcement that not all variants would be in the first batch , will be released over the coming months/years 

• Moderators
18 minutes ago, SHerr said:

the blue version is disappointing as it repeats Bachmann’s insistence on continuing to produce blue, steam heat, no intensity headlights that have been done before vs later 80s models with intensity headlights  (with or without eth) that I suspect would sell better

It may be disappointing for you but the reverse would be true for others, including me. I'm very happy to see a late 70s Bescot loco.

• Like 3
  • Agree 6

2 minutes ago, AY Mod said:

It may be disappointing for you but the reverse would be true for other, including me. I'm very happy to see a late 70s Bescot loco.

I'm also happy to see a base loco useful for 70s/80s Scottish loco's

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
6 minutes ago, AY Mod said:

It may be disappointing for you but the reverse would be true for others, including me. I'm very happy to see a late 70s Bescot loco.

Plus there will be others released in the future, and plenty of time to save up. I quite fancy a GWR 150 green one if/when one is produced, but I’m sure others will tempt me in the meantime. Out of the current batch, the banger blue one is the most likely purchase for me, but I have a few pre-orders that are consuming the budget at the moment.

• Agree 3

20 minutes ago, SHerr said:

It says in the announcement video (from today) that the 2 locos in question will be to the new tooling, arriving next year IIRC. They were pulled off the website a while ago.

• RMweb Gold
21 hours ago, D9020 Nimbus said:

I suspect that there will be no new EFE models coming to the market apart from the 1938 tube stock train. Ever. The last time there were any EFE models announced was last year's autumn announcements. None since.

That lasted well..

• Funny 12

Having seen the prices now being quoted at retailers (hang on Andy, don't hit the 'ommer of moderation just yet) I'm actually surprised that they are less than I was expecting.  I genuinely thought they would be more than the discounted prices being shown given the level of detail and the need to make a start on recouping that million notes investment.  I appreciate the prices are not to everyone's means but they are surprisingly good.

The Intercity Swallow example is a work of art, and will be perfect at a rake of Mk2fs on a cross country.  Really looking forward to that.

• Like 1
  • Agree 4

While I think it looks stunning, I don't personally think the grilled headlights translate as well to the scale as they'd hoped. It's not something I've ever really noticed on the locos until they made a point of it in the video and to me they look bulky after scanning through Flickr. I do applaud them for the level of detail they've gone to on this loco though, it really is a great model! Prices are cheaper than I'd initially thought too so there may be room for one, despite being the wrong scale for me :) 

• Agree 1

Wow ! Almost tempted to go back to OO on the back of this, and the Accurascale locos.

fantastic to see Accurascale levels of detail as well, amazing what a detail hungry new kid in the block can do to the establishment in the industry.

I wish Bachman the very best sales. 

• Friendly/supportive 2

Sorry everyone not read through this post fully but do we know what the Scotrail version is going to be and is their a large logo blue in the offering?

Either way a very stunning model and congratulations to Bachmann for keeping it underwraps.

Does 828 have the door checkerplate panel? It is certainly not picked out in silver but I cant tell from the pictures whether the moulded detail is there...

EDIT - I was wrong about when 828 gained the checkerplate - it gained the checkerplate AFTER the cab cut.

I guess an easy detail to add with some etch... (and easier to add than remove, so again well done Bachmann in terms of adaptability of this model)

Edited by G-BOAF