Bachmann announce NEW Class 47

AY Mod

• RMweb Premium

Well I have never been a big fan of 47s (real or model), however, this model looks to be right up there at the forefront of modern model developments. I will be sorely tempted to buy a 47 if they produce something a little more up to date operator wise. But a blue one is beckoning!

• RMweb Gold

Very much enjoying projects being announced when nearly ready complete with pre production models to show rather than the old situation where we had  a photo of the real thing and an assertion that a model was to be made. Creates proper and warranted excitement in the hobby and I'm sure boosts initial sales.

• Like 2
  • Agree 7

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, MikeParkin65 said:

Very much enjoying projects being announced when nearly ready complete with pre production models to show rather than the old situation where we had  a photo of the real thing and an assertion that a model was to be made. Creates proper and warranted excitement in the hobby and I'm sure boosts initial sales.

..but increases the risk of duplication.

Although I'm not personally a fan of the ever upwards price/functionality spiral I can see this new Bachmann product as a positive development for the hobby overall, given the financial commitment it has taken them.

• Agree 2

27 minutes ago, sharkman said:

Sorry everyone not read through this post fully but do we know what the Scotrail version is going to be and is their a large logo blue in the offering?

Either way a very stunning model and congratulations to Bachmann for keeping it underwraps.

As far as I know neither has been announced , think it's a case of wait and see , I think they are probably going to announce 4 versions periodically 

12 hours ago, SHerr said:

Without trying to be negative, the blue version is disappointing as it repeats Bachmann’s insistence on continuing to produce blue, steam heat, no intensity headlights that have been done before vs later 80s models with intensity headlights  (with or without eth) that I suspect would sell better. Also do we really need a ‘novelty’ livery in the first batch? 

Interestingly, no 47/7 and there is one in the undecorated samples yesterday so maybe some more to come?

Final thought, what’s the score with the old version where I believe there’s a large batch due imminently? Are these still happening?

I must also disagree, and would argue that 1970's modellers have suffered more than 1980's modellers here.

We have never had a proper bog standard BR Blue duff with serck louvres and a headcode box, be that alpha-numeric or dominos. Surely just about every class member appeared this way during the 1970's. As such, seeing 47012 in the range is very welcome indeed.

47148 was no go as it had 3-piece rad grilles, so it was useless for TOPS renumbering. They also did a pre tops blue one like this. 47035 was listed as dominos, but was actually a plated headcode painted black, so that was useless too!

There have been three 47's with plated headcodes and marker lights for the 1980's (I appreciate it was only one type). 47001, 47404 and 47408. A high intensity headlight could be added by the owner if desired.

I do understand where you're coming from though, and they ought to produce something more akin to your requirements in one of the next releases. At least we'll have an ETH banger blue one in the form of 47435 in the next batch, but again that looks like it'll be dominos. Finally the late 1970's have the upper hand!

Cameron

Edited by Mophead45143
  • Agree 1

36 minutes ago, sharkman said:

Sorry everyone not read through this post fully but do we know what the Scotrail version is going to be and is their a large logo blue in the offering?

Either way a very stunning model and congratulations to Bachmann for keeping it underwraps.

No Scotrail for now, LL blue in the second batch according to the Bachmann video.

Interesting how 47828 only has ploughs at one end. I guess that will be fixed but can see ploughs knocking off all that detail. 

I was pretty much spot on at guessing price, but the next batch of these will go up in price again... so the 47 will be the first model to push the £250 ceiling and smash it. 

Edited by The Black Hat
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

30 minutes ago, G-BOAF said:

Does 828 have the door checkerplate panel? It is certainly not picked out in silver but I cant tell from the pictures whether the moulded detail is there...

EDIT - I was wrong about when 828 gained the checkerplate - it gained the checkerplate AFTER the cab cut.

I guess an easy detail to add with some etch... (and easier to add than remove, so again well done Bachmann in terms of adaptability of this model)

Loco went to Intercity Swallow in 1990. The kick plates under the doors were added in 1996 according to pics on Flickr. Repaintined in Virgin in 2001, so roughly 50/50 split with and without in the 11 years it carried Swallow

Jo

22 hours ago, D9020 Nimbus said:

I suspect that there will be no new EFE models coming to the market apart from the 1938 tube stock train. Ever. The last time there were any EFE models announced was last year's autumn announcements. None since.

Why?

Helijan have previously had a class 47 in their range, so not seeing your point…

1 hour ago, sharkman said:

The only liveries we know about are the five announced today and the two (47435 in BR Blue & 47711 'Greyfriars Bobby' BR Blue (Large Logo)) announced previously for the old tooling but will be on the new tooling in a future batch.

Edited by Paul.Uni
  • Informative/Useful 1

2 hours ago, G-BOAF said:

I'm in two minds about 47828. Its a preserved loco in basically the same condition (with modern OHL signs and MW jumper). BUT (whether by design or accident) it is unnamed meaning an option to renumber to many of the Intercity 47/8s. This is a smart move by Bachmann, and could enable multiple sale for renumbering.

I have done a bit more looking and the radiator end is different too, it has lamps in the headcode panels at this end nowadays, it didn't in the 90s. Interestingly though most of the pics I can see that end is normally at the back and so out of sight.

Also the small rectangles painted on the model aren't on it at the moment.

So from what I can tell, from looking and from yours and others posts on here, the differences so far between the model and the loco as preserved (to be clear I know that is not the subject of the model) are:

MW Jumpers

Headcode lights at radiator end

OHLE signs

Checkerplate under doors

Rectangles down bodyside in white area

• RMweb Premium
12 minutes ago, MGR Hooper! said:

Do all the DC versions come with in-built sound? Any way to turn it off?

I think the DC versions come with speakers fitted but not sound...? I imagine it might be easier for Bachmann to assemble them as one standard arrangement rather than have to have assembly variations.

15 minutes ago, MGR Hooper! said:

Do all the DC versions come with in-built sound? Any way to turn it off?

3 versions - straight DC, no sound; DCC Sound (will run on DC with some functionality); DCC deluxe sound with separately motor-driven roof fans and tinted windscreens.

So the basic version has no sound, as supplied DC only

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Ian J. said:

I think the DC versions come with speakers fitted but not sound...? I imagine it might be easier for Bachmann to assemble them as one standard arrangement rather than have to have assembly variations.

2 minutes ago, Dunsignalling said:

The basic ones don't, though (AIUI) even the non-sound versions are pre-fitted with speakers.

John

3 minutes ago, Ian J. said:

Thanks, I was under the impression that the DC models had limited sound functions also

• RMweb Gold

Wow. Watched the Bachmann video earlier - their research team have certainly done their homework. The tooling includes the major steam boiler ports and blanking options, hopefully more late 1960s/70s versions to come. I also have learnt something from them (hadn't realised some of the subtle differences between Loughborough and Crewe built Brush 4s). 

47 012 will be added to my fleet, but almost certainly will be looking to renumber and remove the dominos to 1974/5 state. Hopefully that will be easy to do.

A good selection of first releases too, catering for the long longevity of the class.  I'm also intrigued what Bachmann have used to "lilac" their windscreens on the full-fat version. The purplish windscreen hue was certainly a distinctive feature of the South Wales 47/4s I used to think would always be on Paddington trains. It was probably on all 47s I saw, but I particularly remember these locos as sometimes would see the same loco 2-3 times a day.

As about a third of all numbers in my Bristol spotting notes 1973-9 were headed 47 xxx I can easily justify another. Bachmann spares will also be receiving bulk purchases from me, which I assume will become available when the locos arrive. Having purchased earlier this year early water tanks/battery boxes for Lima/Hornby railroad versions, they blend in very well after amputation and clean up of the later version tanks. 

Neil

Edited by Downendian
Typo

17 minutes ago, andyman7 said:

3 versions - straight DC, no sound; DCC Sound (will run on DC with some functionality); DCC deluxe sound with separately motor-driven roof fans and tinted windscreens.

So the basic version has no sound, as supplied DC only

Thank you...

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
21 minutes ago, Ian J. said:

I think you are right though interestingly Accurascale take the opposite approach  - the non sound Deltics will be minus the speakers (though the speakers they are using are higher specification - EM2's so it may be a cost based decision). 

• Informative/Useful 1

• Moderators
8 minutes ago, Downendian said:

I'm also intrigued what Bachmann have used to "lilac" their windscreens on the full-fat version.

I shall be paying very close attention to this when we pop over there in a couple of weeks as I've tried to replicate it several times with purple and gold inks, washes and glass paints with limited success. Such a distinctive feature.

• Like 2
  • Agree 2