Bachmann announce NEW Class 47

AY Mod

2 minutes ago, AY Mod said:

I shall be paying very close attention to this when we pop over there in a couple of weeks as I've tried to replicate it several times with purple and gold inks, washes and glass paints with limited success. Such a distinctive feature.

Andy , I'm wondering if Brian @ Shawplan has done the screens for Bachmann , it's common knowledge he does the nameplates for them so if he has then maybe he will make them available as part of his Laserglaze range at some point unless Bachmann forbid him doing so?

6 minutes ago, AY Mod said:

I shall be paying very close attention to this when we pop over there in a couple of weeks as I've tried to replicate it several times with purple and gold inks, washes and glass paints with limited success. Such a distinctive feature.

Have a toy with 'chameleon' vinyl used for car window tinting. Not sure on the % tint, it'll be quite a low tint to scale down to give it just the faintest hint as needed but I've seen plenty at car shows over the years which I'd think should do the trick ;)

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• Moderators
5 minutes ago, Zunnan said:

Have a toy with 'chameleon' vinyl used for car window tinting.

I had thought of that some years back when I was doing it but had obviously been looking with the wrong search terms; just ordered an A5 sample sheet for the grand sum of £1.50 inc postage. :read:

Daft when I've used window film for some other modelling purposes!

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, AY Mod said:

I had thought of that some years back when I was doing it but had obviously been looking with the wrong search terms; just ordered an A5 sample sheet for the grand sum of £1.50 inc postage. :read:

Daft when I've used window film for some other modelling purposes!

Take a look at Photochromic Chameleon Vinyl

• Thanks 1

• Moderators
2 minutes ago, The 158 Man said:

Hi everyone, could anyone tell me what years 47012 is suitable for please? Hoping for early to mid 80s. :)

1 hour ago, Zunnan said:

From an entirely selfish viewpoint, 012 couldn't be a much better subject being a Bescot incumbent from '76 to '81, though with the dominoes covers really '79 onwards. Absolutely spot on.

• RMweb Gold

47004 for me (thats one of my favourite Lima ones retired).

47004 is no ordinary Construction 47… indeed there wasnt many Construction livery 47’s, but the most well known is 47901. However its flight to fame started at Eastleigh, working, of all services, regular summer work on Glasgow/Edinburgh - Inverness passenger services in 1989 on many occasions… not content with that, in 1990 47004 was regularly around Manchester, and worked Manchester -Blackpools on several occasions, before the 37/31’s came enmasse. It was also often found on Binliner and Speedlink work… 47004 then transitioned down to Old Oak, often found on Freighliner containers, but it also put in several turns on Waterloo -Exeter and Paddington -Oxford passenger turns…

Not bad for a freight 47..

all pics are flickr links / urls (not mine).

47004 Inverness

BR Class 31248.47004.37430 - Manchester Victoria

47004 7/7/91 Basingstoke

47004 sits at Reading Station with the Liverpool to Dover service 16-5-92. I Cuthbertson collection

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 5

57 minutes ago, TomScrut said:

I have done a bit more looking and the radiator end is different too, it has lamps in the headcode panels at this end nowadays, it didn't in the 90s. Interestingly though most of the pics I can see that end is normally at the back and so out of sight.

Also the small rectangles painted on the model aren't on it at the moment.

So from what I can tell, from looking and from yours and others posts on here, the differences so far between the model and the loco as preserved (to be clear I know that is not the subject of the model) are:

MW Jumpers

Headcode lights at radiator end

OHLE signs

Checkerplate under doors

Rectangles down bodyside in white area

My understanding (and I can't remember where I read this) is that the sealed beam marker lights were necessary due to some equipment fitting in the headcode box. The other end didn't have this so the plated marker lights could be used. It was therefore common for locos to have plated at radiator end and sealed beam at the other end. This said I believe later in life locos received sealed beams at both ends.

Clearly in preservation this has changed for 828 (and of course some have changed further to LEDs as well e.g. DRS locos).

No idea what the small black rectangles on the lower bodyside are.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, The 158 Man said:

Hi everyone, could anyone tell me what years 47012 is suitable for please? Hoping for early to mid 80s. :)

The Dominos were plated up 11/83 according to the data file for 47012.  Allocated to Bescot then Haymarket 4/7/81. 

• Informative/Useful 1

3 hours ago, G-BOAF said:

It IS A wonderful model.

Did I see a glimpse of a DRS 47 in the Collectors Club announcement? Would make sense to match the new Mk2Fs (unless it was a previous release DRS loco).

Used a class 57/3... although not sure if that livery has been released. Think it has...

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, Graham_Muz said:

That lasted well..

It did indeed. I should have tried a safer bet — no new tooling items for the Farish range in N. Seeing as there haven't been any in any of the announcements since the current approach was started… (the class 69 doesn't count, it was "between" announcements).

Though the "relationship" with Heljan seems to be over… or is it just a trial separation?

13 minutes ago, The 158 Man said:

Thank you. :)

Although perhaps to be taken with a pinch of salt, but a couple photos on flickr might suggest otherwise:

40183 Aintree 24/04/83 | A busy scene at Aintree station on … | Flickr

47012 leaking steam at Newcastle | 47012 awaits departure ti… | Flickr

Luckily for my bank balance, that I'll skip this one ... 

• Informative/Useful 1

Having said that 828 unnamed was a great choice as it woul be able to cover a number of Intercity 47/8s, I'm now eating my words.

Given the sealed beam headlights AND cut cab bottom this severely limits the range of options. I was hoping for a renumbering to 840 North Star, but this got sealed beam headlights at the radiator end BEFORE the cab botoms were cut!

A few years ago we couldn't have dreamed of such details being captured.

Gone are the days of an easy renumber of whatever is in the livery you want!

And I haven't even got to the boilers yet (I can't remember what Bachmann said about plating)

Even though they were built with different boilers, from a glance I think 828 will be a match for 834 Fire Fly (prior to its Royal Allocation). Not sure what else...

Edited by G-BOAF

19 minutes ago, richard_t said:

Although perhaps to be taken with a pinch of salt, but a couple photos on flickr might suggest otherwise:

40183 Aintree 24/04/83 | A busy scene at Aintree station on … | Flickr

47012 leaking steam at Newcastle | 47012 awaits departure ti… | Flickr

Luckily for my bank balance, that I'll skip this one ... 

Although 47012 is in the Aintree pic, the duff with the full frontal should be that of 47343 while 012s cab end is hidden by the whistler.

• RMweb Premium

I have noted in my files seeing 1607 @ Cardiff on the 28/12/73 fitted with ETH, now I think that would be a decent model, I am not an expert but were there many ETH pre TOPS Cl 47's? Two others I would love are D1959 WR region allocated in blue simply due to my birth year as per page 98 Sixies D&E V (Strathwood) or any pre TOPS Blue WR namer not sure but has there only ever been 1 version of this?, but for now I will settle for D1565 and hope someone once saw it on the Western region

28 minutes ago, G-BOAF said:

Having said that 828 unnamed was a great choice as it woul be able to cover a number of Intercity 47/8s, I'm now eating my words.

Given the sealed beam headlights AND cut cab bottom this severely limits the range of options. I was hoping for a renumbering to 840 North Star, but this got sealed beam headlights at the radiator end BEFORE the cab botoms were cut!

A few years ago we couldn't have dreamed of such details being captured.

Gone are the days of an easy renumber of whatever is in the livery you want!

And I haven't even got to the boilers yet (I can't remember what Bachmann said about plating)

Even though they were built with different boilers, from a glance I think 828 will be a match for 834 Fire Fly (prior to its Royal Allocation). Not sure what else...

Having looked at it all I think 47828 might be a renumber to 47826 Springburn. That might have sold me on getting one - although all the current class 47s are likely to be good enough over all... so will the price jump be worth it... 

Wow, looks fantastic- clearly onto a winner there.

For those who "need to save up" to buy one/three/ten of these- you probably can't really afford it in that case. Your choice how you spend your dosh, but please don't tell the rest of us you don't want them coming without "fair warning" when for so long now we have associated Bachmann with crushingly long waits between announcement and release and surely that is just as hard to budget for.

828 is an old tub, but at time of writing the only loco I've driven on the mainline AND in preservation!

Might finally prompt me to replace some (but not all) Limas provided the liveries are right and the price isn't too naughty. A GW150 green one would tip me over the edge, as might a Parcels sector one, or anything mid 80's to late 90's that I associate with being an unapologetically Western region one... 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, G-BOAF said:

My understanding (and I can't remember where I read this) is that the sealed beam marker lights were necessary due to some equipment fitting in the headcode box. The other end didn't have this so the plated marker lights could be used. It was therefore common for locos to have plated at radiator end and sealed beam at the other end. This said I believe later in life locos received sealed beams at both ends.

Clearly in preservation this has changed for 828 (and of course some have changed further to LEDs as well e.g. DRS locos).

No idea what the small black rectangles on the lower bodyside are.

SSF equipment is why the lights are different, it sits where the headcode box used to be, the lenses lift up the bulbs can be changed where as at the other end the lights sit in the former headcode box structure.

the small rectangles are ident plates for various outlets/underframe equipment, all 47s would have had them at some point and a lot more of them but many went missing over time or were not re-applied after a repaint.

• Informative/Useful 2

24 minutes ago, The Black Hat said:

Having looked at it all I think 47828 might be a renumber to 47826 Springburn. That might have sold me on getting one - although all the current class 47s are likely to be good enough over all... so will the price jump be worth it... 

Difficult to tell. Based on Class47.co.uk 826 got Sealed Beam lights at the radiator when it had its cabs cut back. So 828 not correct config for 826.

I do hope Bachmann do a 'sealed beat at both ends with cut cab' Intercity Swallow as this will open a number of doors. But given its Bachmann this could be a good while off...!

This level of detail is all getting a bit obsessive.....

26 minutes ago, fiftyfour fiftyfour said:

For those who "need to save up" to buy one/three/ten of these- you probably can't really afford it in that case. Your choice how you spend your dosh, but please don't tell the rest of us you don't want them coming without "fair warning" when for so long now we have associated Bachmann with crushingly long waits between announcement and release and surely that is just as hard to budget for.

Another thing which has occurred to me, and I bet it applies to a lot of others on here, is that most of the stuff I have on pre order with an outstanding balance on it seems to be moving backwards as quickly as time is moving forwards anyway.

• Like 2

Hi All,

Sending the discussion off on a different tack, my take on the class 47 announcements is this:-

1) Glad I have sold all except a couple of my older Hornby, Heljan & Lima 47s, cos I'd get even less for them now!

2) Good, there will be loads of perfectly acceptable (to me!) Bachmann and Vitrains class 47s going at good prices as folks rush to update.

3) Good, I may acquire over the next couple of years one or two of the new versions in liveries that I missed previously, or were never previously issued.

Another thought:- Will this mean an updated class 57 in due course?

Cheers All,

Spend your wads wisely,

Paul  

• Like 3

An exciting announcement from Bachmann, having just caught up with the thread and the video this is a model brimming with detail.

At the end of the video David Parsons says he doesn't think they could have fitted anything more to it, (but without sounding churlish) I didn't see a driver figure! It's a bit of a pet hate of mine to see a loco moving but no crew.