Bachmann announce NEW Class 47

AY Mod

3 minutes ago, D9502 said:

An exciting announcement from Bachmann, having just caught up with the thread and the video this is a model brimming with detail.

At the end of the video David Parsons says he doesn't think they could have fitted anything more to it, (but without sounding churlish) I didn't see a driver figure! It's a bit of a pet hate of mine to see a loco moving but no crew.

Or you get the driver going backwards or two drivers one at the front and one at the back.

• Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, D9502 said:

An exciting announcement from Bachmann, having just caught up with the thread and the video this is a model brimming with detail.

At the end of the video David Parsons says he doesn't think they could have fitted anything more to it, (but without sounding churlish) I didn't see a driver figure! It's a bit of a pet hate of mine to see a loco moving but no crew.

Working Serck radiator slats would have been nice, I really can't see why they didn't do them... ;) ;) ;)

Edited by Ian J.
slats, not fans...
  • Agree 2

5 minutes ago, The 158 Man said:

On their 'old' 47 model, did Bachmann just do one release in plain BR Blue? I can't remember!

47035 & 47148 were two from some of the original production runs over 10 years ago. 

Well, my first, hopefully of many is now preordered.  47012 with sound. £288 at rails, so comparable with the sutton 25 and not too much more than accuras deltic.

The super detail spec wasnt available for preorder on the blue one, sold out already?

Edited by The Ghost of IKB

3 minutes ago, The 158 Man said:

Ah yes. I've been out of the game for too long!

Yes, it's rather frightening how time flies along!

Other plain BR Blue examples included: D1547, 1662, 47001, 47404, 47408 & 47560. :read:

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, fiftyfour fiftyfour said:

Wow, looks fantastic- clearly onto a winner there.

For those who "need to save up" to buy one/three/ten of these- you probably can't really afford it in that case. Your choice how you spend your dosh, but please don't tell the rest of us you don't want them coming without "fair warning" when for so long now we have associated Bachmann with crushingly long waits between announcement and release and surely that is just as hard to budget for.

The answer to the budgeting problem is to decide what is affordable to spend on the hobby each week/month and set that aside in a separate bank or building society account. Don't spend it every month just because it's there, and you will be ready for items you really want when they come along.

However, in order to function, it requires some self-discipline. A number of vital conditions must be adhered to, and it is necessary to have a realistic take on ones overall household and family finances.

1. Unless in case of dire emergency, don't dip into your slush fund for other things. If you need to do so on a regular basis, you are allocating more to your hobby than you can really afford and you should first create a "household emergencies" fund to deal with such eventualities. Note: if you want either fund to be there for its intended purpose, fancying an extra holiday is never a valid reason for raiding them. 

2. Having begun to build up such a fund, you need to fix a theme for your modelling activities and not wander from it too far or too often. If you keep dipping in for :offtopic: impulse purchases, however tempting they might be, you will soon be back where you started.

3. If you are a completely random Rule One merchant or someone whose interests habitually bounce off on tangents, you are on your own. You will be permanently skint and end up owning a load of items that don't form a coherent collection. The sheer quantity of different models on offer these days means that, unless our income is truly huge, none of us will ever have enough money to buy or sufficient space to store everything we take a fancy to.

John

Edited by Dunsignalling
  • Like 3
  • Agree 10

On 03/08/2021 at 14:14, D9020 Nimbus said:

I suspect that there will be no new EFE models coming to the market apart from the 1938 tube stock train. Ever. The last time there were any EFE models announced was last year's autumn announcements. None since.

Haha, well in fairness your prediction was entirely correct, well for 19 hours and 46 minutes anyway.

Have you thought about telling fortunes for a living?

• Funny 3

• RMweb Gold
19 minutes ago, Dunsignalling said:

a completely random Rule One merchant or someone whose interests habitually bounce off on tangents

You make it sound like this is a bad thing.................:P

• Like 1
  • Funny 4

• RMweb Gold
4 minutes ago, ruggedpeak said:

You make it sound like this is a bad thing.................:P

Financially, it's potentially disastrous, and it's only really satisfying if you don't know/care what items do form coherent combinations.

John

12 minutes ago, Dunsignalling said:

Financially, it's potentially disastrous, and it's only really satisfying if you don't know/care what items do form coherent combinations.

John

The sheer mount of new releases means that it's probably wise to stick to one era or time period to starve off temptation. I know for myself that I don't need or want 100 locos on my layout as I only tend to have one loco out at one time. 

Edited by Chris56057
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
19 minutes ago, Chris56057 said:

The sheer mount of new releases means that it's probably wise to stick to one era or time period. I know for myself that I don't need or want 100 locos on my layout as I only tend to have one in loco out at one time. 

Many of us find it more satisfying, too.

When considering new models I always ask myself two questions, plus a third depending on the answers to the first two.

1. If a locomotive, do I have an appropriate train or trains for it to pull?

2. If wagons/coaches will it/they fit into trains I already have or form a new train which will suit at least one locomotive I already own? This question is slightly flawed in that it more-or-less gives me carte blanche on steam era wagons. They are a personal weakness, and it shows!

3. If the answer to either of the above is no, am I willing/able to add the necessary accompaniments, or happy for the model to be confined to the display cabinet until/unless I do?

John

Edited by Dunsignalling
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Tallpaul69 said:

2) Good, there will be loads of perfectly acceptable (to me!) Bachmann and Vitrains class 47s going at good prices as folks rush to update.

3) Good, I may acquire over the next couple of years one or two of the new versions in liveries that I missed previously, or were never previously issued.

From day one, I think the only victims your going to find is older models of 47035 and 47375 on ebay, neither of which were very popular and tend to sell at the lower end on the best of days.

Day 1 of this 47 is likely to be 47004’s (last modelled in 1991), and a bit of a favourite, with-its distinctive ploughs in 3 different parts of the country & 47828 for LSL fans… neither of which are going to open the floodgates of disposals…, except maybe some Lima 47004’s like mine (even then its upgraded Hornby chassis will be staying with me).

Buying older ones cheap is probably going to be a long game.

Edited by adb968008

I wonder if we may finally get 47222 'Appleby Frodingham' from this new tooling? 

Admittedly with the price it would take something special like this (my 'home' loco) in blue to convince me to buy one.

Cheers,

1 hour ago, adb968008 said:

From day one, I think the only victims your going to find is older models of 47035 and 47375 on ebay, neither of which were very popular and tend to sell at the lower end on the best of days.

Day 1 of this 47 is likely to be 47004’s (last modelled in 1991), and a bit of a favourite, with-its distinctive ploughs in 3 different parts of the country & 47828 for LSL fans… neither of which are going to open the floodgates of disposals…, except maybe some Lima 47004’s like mine (even then its upgraded Hornby chassis will be staying with me).

Buying older ones cheap is probably going to be a long game.

Oh , I don't know . I sold a couple of blue Bachmann 47s at reasonable price as they didn't do many .

035 was an awkward one with markers at both ends which was rare fir the depicted time frame .

eventually modified the class 57 bogies on ones I kept and changed the fuel tanks for proper ones 

• RMweb Premium

I am slightly disappointed they didn’t tool up new seperate snow ploughs and are sticking with the one piece bogie mounted option. Hornby managed to do it with the Class 50 way back in 2003. Close up taken from original post. 

200F1029-330D-43AA-A3CE-EA2F8ED4A570.jpeg

• Agree 3

I know it's not the answer most people want to hear but there are plenty of after market ploughs from the likes of PH Designs or even old Heljan 47 sets which can be used. I would never use the supplied ploughs, there just not realistic. 

11 minutes ago, 60800 said:

I don't have any Bachmann 47's so I'll have to substitute with 37's - but the ploughs look passable when the support structure is painted black 

PXL_20210319_174323081.NIGHT.jpg.e488bd0e2723bd528cc20492818e61e2.jpg

Cheers,

WV908

Thanks, I will have to do that on those exact 2 37s I have!

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, 60800 said:

I don't have any Bachmann 47's so I'll have to substitute with 37's - but the ploughs look passable when the support structure is painted black 

PXL_20210319_174323081.NIGHT.jpg.e488bd0e2723bd528cc20492818e61e2.jpg

Cheers,

WV908

Whilst I'm not being critical for the sake of it, they would look better with the 2 supports that allow the ploughs to be attached to the bufferbeam. I've often made them out of wire.